Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Aussie Cruiser from Clackline WA!

Hood

Country Flag
australia
Gidday,
My names' Hood and I bought a cheap 80 series in April 2018. Always wanted one but the missus said no cos we got enough vehicles. But won out in the end as I needed a 4WD. Was to be a project fixer upper. First thing I did was remove the crumbling guards and started sanding back the clear coat peel, you all know what I'm talkin about. Anyhow, took 3 days to sand back and 1 day to paint.Buffed it to a satin finish as I didn't want it looking too sparkly, it's a 4x4, not a Ferrari.
Next, I repaired the faulty headlight and spotties wiring, replaced the headlights and tail lights with projectors and tinted lense type. I kept the original spotties cos they worked fine.
Next was the guards. Replaced them with Kutsnake lookalikes and used rivnuts instead of cheap bolts they came with ( Chinese 0nes).
Replaced the chrome bull bar with a black steel one and fitted a snorkel. If ever you do this, make sure you cut the hole in the template and fit to snorkel base first, holes don't normally line up, and use a pen or pencil to push drill hole markers in template form pressing against snorkel. Tape this to the guard before marking up hole to drill or cut. I used a nibbler to make the hole round and then a sanding disc on a cordless to smoothen hole. the rest is easy. Instructions on youtube for the rest.
All this took me 2 weeks ( I work away ), and used only basic tools. I'm not a mechanic, just like you guys, passionate about his fourby and an idea of what I want. Still a long way to go but hopefully when time permits, I should get there.
Cheers!!

Gidday,
My names' Hood and I bought a cheap 80 series in April 2018. Always wanted one but the missus said no cos we got enough vehicles. But won out in the end as I needed a 4WD. Was to be a project fixer upper. First thing I did was remove the crumbling guards and started sanding back the clear coat peel, you all know what I'm talkin about. Anyhow, took 3 days to sand back and 1 day to paint.Buffed it to a satin finish as I didn't want it looking too sparkly, it's a 4x4, not a Ferrari.
Next, I repaired the faulty headlight and spotties wiring, replaced the headlights and tail lights with projectors and tinted lense type. I kept the original spotties cos they worked fine.
Next was the guards. Replaced them with Kutsnake lookalikes and used rivnuts instead of cheap bolts they came with ( Chinese 0nes).
Replaced the chrome bull bar with a black steel one and fitted a snorkel. If ever you do this, make sure you cut the hole in the template and fit to snorkel base first, holes don't normally line up, and use a pen or pencil to push drill hole markers in template form pressing against snorkel. Tape this to the guard before marking up hole to drill or cut. I used a nibbler to make the hole round and then a sanding disc on a cordless to smoothen hole. the rest is easy. Instructions on youtube for the rest.
All this took me 2 weeks ( I work away ), and used only basic tools. I'm not a mechanic, just like you guys, passionate about his fourby and an idea of what I want. Still a long way to go but hopefully when time permits, I should get there.
Cheers!!

Nice intro Hood, looking forward to the photos / vid links of the truck and some of your adventures. :thumbup:

Back