Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Aussie Landcruiser Gear by the Container Load - Who's in?

Blown80

Garage
Country Flag
australia
I would like to put forward a proposal to the UK based forum members about getting hold of some Aussie 4WD goodies in a way that everyone benefits from a combined shipping option.

I have gained approval from Crispin here prior to posting this, and we have also agreed on how I can support and sponsor the forum for members as well in the longer term, which is now evident in the page header. I just wanted to put this out there up front so everyone knows the intentions and ethics behind this proposal. You would all no doubt also know Tony Symonds, and this proposal also gets posted with his blessings and support of the plan.

As noted in my intro recently, I am as much a 4WD nutter as the next bloke, and started my business in the hope of providing a better service than I received myself for years. That was nine years ago and we have made some wonderful friends along the way. Amazing what some good service and fair dealings can achieve.

So, to the plan. Many guys have been asking if we can get some of our Aussie gear to the UK cost effectively, and each time we cringe knowing the individual freight cost is a killer on many items. Fuel tanks, etc, are simply not cost effective to ship individually. So Tony and I have put our heads together and we think we can work out a satisfactory solution by loading up a container of goodies people want, all prepaid, and then shipping the container over to Tony’s doorstep based in the Midlands. There it is then unloaded and members can arrange to pick items up, etc.

Sounds really simple if you say it fast, hey. The questions we expect to have raised are of course, “how much will the freight on my tank cost, or my snorkel, or my window winder?”. Answer is it will all be based on volumetric weight like any shipping arrangements. The average 20' container holds about 29cu and let’s say the average fuel tank is 0.54cu as an example. This means we can squeeze in around 53 fuel tanks maybe and therefore each person would pay around 1/53 of the container cost. Duties, taxes etc also apply, but this is by value and would also be payable per product ordered. Next question is when, and this very much depends on the interest received. It may become a regular occurrence if it works out in everyone’s favour. Please note I’m not here to compromise the current people who support you guys with local product, but just to offer some of the gear we do which is a bit unique.

So the question for our UK mates is “are you interested?”.

If yes, let me know of course and what sort of gear. As Tony would know, we have a huge range of good gear, from bolt on accessories like bars or fuel tanks, custom manufactured gear, or some of the parts you might find more difficult to access, parts as simple as fan clutches or power steering pump rebuild kits. We can supply competition style bull bars without top loops even, I can post photos. There isn’t much in the Landcruiser range we cannot offer or make. I will list some of these items up in the ‘Commercial’ section Crispin is setting up for me. It will have photos, descriptions and a price guide. (Thank you for all your help and advice Crispin).

So this offer is out there for you to consider. The only exclusion to this is loading the container with ‘outside’ sourced items. This is a ‘no’ upfront. There is a lot of work, organising, planning and costs associated with this which I have to consider. I will do the very best I can to deliver the best value possible, and this means I can’t accommodate anything else in the container other than that gear sourced through us.

So if you like the idea, post it up and I will work on a plan. Actual item requests though must be sent to the [email protected] email so I get them directly. Please don’t just post here ‘I need a fuel tank’. I might need more info….. email me.
I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Cheers. Chris

I think its a great idea Chris and good on you for supporting/sponsoring the club. :thumbup:

Yep good plan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Very good idea, Ive just bought a Amazon and it needs a few `extras`
1st Being a Split charge system, A Roof Rack (for a future tent purchase) and a Awning.

Great. This is the post I have been waiting for. It's been suggested many times but thank you for stepping up. I don't know what I'd have, but I would. Much depends on exactly what sort of saving we could make of course. Let's say a tenner off a fuel tank - that'd barely be with the effort. I think that generally here, we don't know what the comparative local Oz prices are. But as we pay through the nose for every Goddamn thing here it has to be worth looking at.

exellent thanks for offering the service and would be interested in a few bits. do you have a website so we can look at things to get?
stu

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Nice work guys - Gav's in for a few goodies & a couple of essentials :icon-cool:

Thanks for the show of support guys. I am currently showing Scott and Steph Seacombe videos of our past adventures of Tasmania as they are staying overnight with us, so we are boring them to tears with our own travels. So only a quick post tonight.
I will list up what may be popular bits and prices in a new thread in the Commercial section, and this can be the chatter thread I guess. But in the meantime you can view some of our range on our website at www.fnb4wd.com.au. Our own manufactured products can be found on www.boss4wd.com.au which is our range of gear, but is more of an overview.

If you do have some idea of bits and bobs you might like to know more info about, email me at [email protected]
Thanks guys.
Cheers. Chris.

Interesting idea.

I've been using mates in OZ to send me parts or just bring back the smaller parts when back in WA.
Freight is the killer as exchange rate makes the stuff generally cheaper.

Wonder how VAT and import duties work with a container load?

would it be worth while sending stuff back as well so youm should get cheaper shipping if you include a return journy. I think are tyres are alot cheaper??
stu

At the moment it's a good time to do purchases as the £=$ is heading back towards £1=$2 (about $1.83 at the moment, so $1=£0.53) as opposed to when Ben and I headed over and it was nearer $1= £0.67 - £0.64.

That's enough to make a reasonably good saving!

Well done on Chris for coming on board, I'm off shopping now on the BOSS 4wd page!

I found once the VAT and import duties are added to the costs there is little difference to what you would pay in the UK.
OEM parts I tend to pick up in UAE when I stop over but for bigger cruiser stuff not available in the UK then getting them shipped over from OZ in a container might be worth it.

Some great cruiser stuff available in OZ.

Great idea:thumbup:

I would be very interested depending again on price.

As a FYI and I will drop you an email I would be in for a LRA longranger fuel tank for 2003 IFS, ARB right hand tyre swing out, 1 maybe 2 sets of maxtrax, full set of foxwing awning zip sides and I am sure a few other bits if you can source them.

Email on its way but the LRA tank is the big one for me.

Thanks guys, as you noted Warren, tanks will be popular and the LRA are the best I can recommend. I have them fitted to my own cruiser. In the thread I will list all the Cruiser models available. May not be until Monday here now tho, as I will spend the next 24hrs with Scott and Steph before they head home. Then I am going to play with Tony's Betsy on Sunday because I can, so back to you Monday with more info.
Cheers. Chris

Er......

any chance the container can pass by Romania?....

OK, OK, I'll get my coat!

:lol:

Last edited:
Yes Clive, there is definitely a chance of that happening.
I can also type in here what the odds are of that chance.
I just need to know if you have a widescreen monitor or not before I start typing in the numbers........ :lol:

I'm interested - things like SandGrabba mats etc are crazy expensive to try ship out here, as are suspension and protection bits. Get he ship to stop in Cape Town so we can fill the container with some South African hard-core camping gear too, as well as decent seat covers etc.

Yeah I'd be interested too. Was having a browse on your website the other day tbh.

Back