Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Australia... 12 month carnet extension

Olazz

Country Flag
zimbabwe
Does anyone have any direct experience of using a carnet for a foreign registered vehicle in Australia?

My specific query is whether the carnet can be extended beyond the initial 12 months ( as in many other countries ). for an additional 12 month period.

The Australian government website says it's 12 months only... but in certain circumstances it may be extended. There is no guidance on what those circumstances are.

I ask this question as unlike many other countries, if one cannot get an extension it is easy enough to leave the country or customs union, and go to another. This is obviously not possible in Australia.

Anyone??

I would think @Ben would be your man on that as I believe he imported his 70 when he emigrated. Not sure if emigrating with the vehicle would make it a different process though.

I'm really not sure Rich. :icon-redface:

My 70 was brought in as a personal import, where as an overlander would want to bring their vehicle in on a temporary import permit. :think:

Give me a shout if you need a hand down here Olazz, I know a good bonded warehouse where you can take it out of the container and get it quarantine inspected, its where I brought mine through. :flags-australia:

Oh and let me know if/when you're coming, be good to catch up. :obscene-drinkingbu:

I would think @Ben would be your man on that as I believe he imported his 70 when he emigrated. Not sure if emigrating with the vehicle would make it a different process though.

Pretty sure it is a very different process (ie Ben's had to comply with local legislation, whereas on a Carnet it wouldn't (as much))

I think that the 12 month period is to stop vehicles coming in to Australia outside of the official import channel, and 12month is the maximum that you can get a tourist visa without any extra conditions (ie a working holiday visa)

Give me a shout if you need a hand down here Olazz, I know a good bonded warehouse where you can take it out of the container and get it quarantine inspected, its where I brought mine through. :flags-australia:

Oh and let me know if/when you're coming, be good to catch up. :obscene-drinkingbu:

Ben, still in planning stage. I need to find out if I can get a 12 month carnet extended before I make that decision. If it's impossible, then Australia will have to wait until I can spend more than 6 months there.

There must be travellers who have had a foreign vehicle on a carnet for more than a year. A 12 month extension is granted(one extension only) in most countries. The whole point of a carnet is the duty g'tee from a foreign source, hence the temp import status. But then Australia may just be different.

Thanks for the offer of help, may need it.

OK for anyone else who may need this information in future.
I got a reply to my query from the AAA as follows:

The CPD carnet holder contacts the originating overseas club or contacts AAA and requests an extension. AAA will require the following documents:

• copy of the carnet front and inside cover
  • copy of the counterfoil when they entered Australia showing date and port
  • where the carnet holder is currently situated
  • copy of their visa
  • copy of their passport
All straight forward thus far... then this !!

The procedure for extending a carnet is listed below:

• The CPD carnet holder is also required to complete a B257 form, from Australian Border Force
  • AAA then contacts the overseas club and requests for a ‘No Objection’ letter to proceed with the extension and requests they seek additional security.
  • Upon receipt of ‘No Objection’ letter from overseas club and proof of additional security paid AAA will then issue a ‘No Objection’ letter for the extension and forward the required documents to Australian Border Force.
  • Australian Border Force will decide if the extension will be granted.
  • Australian Border Force will then inform AAA of their decision. AAA then informs the issuing club of the extension. CPD carnet holder is required have the inside front cover stamped, where it states ‘Extension of Validity’ with a carnet extension stamp and endorsing it with the AAA stamp. AAA will advise the CPD carnet holder of details of the club to have this completed.
  • The CPD carnet holder will then go to the Australian Border Force for final endorsement.
  • The CPD carnet holder should send a copy of the extension endorsed by the Australian Border Force Authority back to AAA.
  • It is a condition of use of a CPD carnet in Australia that you do not leave the vehicle that is covered by the carnet in Australia while you are not here. Should you do so, this is a breach of the provisions of the Customs Act 1901 and Customs Regulations 1926. Once a breach has occurred, the security amount equivalent to the duty and GST (and Luxury Car Tax (LCT), if applicable) will be called up by Customs.
If LHD (my truck is ...and over 4,5t) I will need a LHD permit which has to be applied for from the National Heavy Vehicles Register. And that's just for Queensland!!!!

So if in Aus and you want to break your trip by visiting New Zealand for example, or you need to fly back for any emergency of any kind, then you're in trouble and the carnet issues bill
for duties etc.

I thought Africa held the gold medal for bureaucracy!!

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back