Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Auto-box gear lever position sensor

AndyCook

Garage
Country Flag
scotland
often after a greenlaning trip, when i try to start my LC - it wont start,
putting the auto gear lever in N or pulling back on lever when in P whilst turning the key usually lets it start

and to fix it i go under the vehicle and loosen off and adjust position of the gear lever linkage.
its now at end of adjustment... so even harder to start the engine, have to wiggle the gear lever a bit whilst turning the key
but the pivot forward of this seems to be quite loose - so i guess i need to try and sort this out

where is the gear lever position sensor and wiring?
i cannot see it...

since i might wire in an override switch in the wiring to fool the system into thinking the car is in P or N.
of course i would only use this override when i was sure the gear lever was in P or N

I think the neutral start switch is inside the gearbox and there's a connector on the outside of the 'box - but I'm not sure - either way, the connector should be on the passenger side of the gearbox, near the front, that's what you need to override

Had a quick look last night. Switch assembly and loom appears to be onm drivers side. A rod fromt the passengerside levers go throughj box to drivers side

Whoops, sorry, you're right, it's on the drivers side - I'm looking at a parts picture and it looked like it was on the other side - I know the plug's on the gearbox. It looks like it's actually on the outside and is reading it from the linkage - so it could be a dodgy switch, but if you say the linkage is loose, then it could be throwing the switch out a little.

Back