Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

auto box sump gasket

michael

Hello can anyone help I`m going to drop the atf and the sump as I think I have a leak from it ,
Does the sump get a gasket or is it a sealant gasket like Loctite 5910 or similar any help appreciated thanks

Nothing showing on the parts diagrams for that. I'd have thought even without looking that it's just liquid gasket. I'd use RTV like I did on the engine sump. as long as it's oil resistant and the like, it should be fine. Bathroom sealer is definitely out!

Chris

I had the Auto box sump off and refitted with RTV, no leak. A few years later I had the Auto Gearbox overhauled and a new Torque Converter fitted, (lockoff clutch was faulty) Sump refitted with a cork gasket. Guess what, the cork gasket leaked. RTV everytime!

Are you sure it's leaking via the sump gasket? I've found these transmissions are so easy to overfill and you only discover it during high load situations where it leaks out the breather.

Should say easy to overfill because the dipstick is not clear and hard to read during fill/level check. At least mine is.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
It’s looks like the gasket. It’s going back in under warranty. It’s a decent garage in Gloucester so they should sort it tomorrow. Will post the outcome. I agree it’s a swine to get the level just right. Engine needs to be working temp, level ground, go through the gears then check level. Top up if needed then spill most of it down the side of the engine!!
Cheers

Good luck with it yes hopefully they will sort out out. I think mechs I've used have used cork before but one place forgot to tighten some of the bolts!

Found the dipstick never reads the same twice leading to wiping and dipping about 20 times and as you say dripping ATF and trying to keep the stuff off you gearstick!

Back