Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

auto box woooooooing !!

You can get a diff from a breaker for about £300 just make sure its a matched gear there should be a white sticker on the diff tube saying R16 or some such so you know what to get . Why kill it when there's plenty out there who want but can't afford one .

If you remove the prop (and it is the diff) you will remove the noise but the diff will still spin with the wheels so yeah you might delay the inevitable for a while but only for a while . You could i suppose remove the cv axles so it doesn't spin with the wheels but then your leaving wheel bearings exposed and vulnerable .

I can see where your coming from so maybe the best thing to do is remove the prop so your sure its the diff and then put it up for sale at fair price advertised as in need of a new diff .

An honest add at least gives the truck a chance to go to an enthusiast rather than a breaker and i imagine if the price is right it won't take long to sell .
Thanks for the info Shayne. and your right. but iv always been adamant il never sell if I get another collie. spares for my own use im thinking. unless I get a 100/80 series.I always wanted to get it to 300,000.. You never know it might still do it.

Its a long way, iv got a silver high miles sticker from Toyota.@ 250,000 that's 8 times around the world it sez on it, imagine getting up in the morning and someone saying "Right today your going to drive 8 times around the world, "Of you go" I wonder how far you would get before something went "POP" ?....

How do you go about getting a 'high miles' sticker from Toyota?
(Asking for a friend :oops:)

As it happens I have a fully rebuilt front diff in my shed looking for a home (I bought it to try to cure driveline shunt, but it didn't work but DID have a faulty bearing. I then had it rebuilt by a reputable gearbox reconditioner with receipt and everything).

It's R16, which is 4:1 ratio.

PM if that would be any use.

How do you go about getting a 'high miles' sticker from Toyota?
(Asking for a friend :oops:)

As it happens I have a fully rebuilt front diff in my shed looking for a home (I bought it to try to cure driveline shunt, but it didn't work but DID have a faulty bearing. I then had it rebuilt by a reputable gearbox reconditioner with receipt and everything).

It's R16, which is 4:1 ratio.

PM if that would be any use.
Hi Dave thanks for the kind offer on the diff. but im gonna pass, im going to let things develop like I said im not spending any more money on the old gal.... Its a shame but its still got MOT till end of December..Iv welded it up more times than I can remember.. its not worth keep chucking money at it. I.M.O. regarding the high mile sticker. Just google Toyota high mile club. and follow instructions. its simple you have to send photo of dash board and reg... Bronze,silver gold. 300,000 miles for a gold. they do a 500,000 mile exclusive I think. ( They are free)

I was investigating my wooing box or what ever it might be , took the bash plates off and inspected front diff oil. all seems ok . no signs of metal bits etc oil seems ok.. but did notice drivers side drive shaft as it comes out the diff to have a lot of play.over 5mm play all round. near side is fine.. no leaks any where. obviously il have to replace the drive shaft (milners £120 for the complete unit) .. could this be the cause of my wooooooing:). Don't want to replace front drive shaft units.. to then discover it was' summert' else all along... ps is there play in the drive shaft because of diff bearing issues.. Any advice would be great.. pps is there a thread on here for drive shaft/cv removal ,,, many thanks

The drive shafts always have play there, I remember someome noticed it even on a brand new vehicle

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The drive shafts always have play there, I remember someome noticed it even on a brand new vehicle
Thanks Andy. Might have just saved me a few quid.. but one side is noticeably different to the other and there is no gronching noises or any horrible sounds.. just this woooooing sound from somewhere Thanks anyways

Thanks Andy. Might have just saved me a few quid.. but one side is noticeably different to the other and there is no gronching noises or any horrible sounds.. just this woooooing sound from somewhere Thanks anyways
Its normally the pinion bearings in the nose of the diff that cause the woòooing noise you describe.

Cheers for that.. I will keep probing,
Update... Did a quick delivery job down to the Harbour... slight vibration through steering wheel and accelerator. Take foot off and vibration stops. This is at low speeds ??????. Me thinks gear box

Back