Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Auto Fluid in Engine Oil

Denis Farrell

Country Flag
australia
Hi All,

Had diagnosed a very small Rear Main Seal leak not so long ago.

This morning, started car, shifted into Reverse and no normal small jerky movement. Switch to Drive and same, no movement.

Turned car off and checked Auto fluid and was way low. Decided to check Engine oil and clearly see red tinge to Engine oil on dipstick.

Obviously auto fluid is now mixing in with engine oil. I am no way shape or form a mechanic but this would suggest Rear Main Seal has gone bye bye, yes?

I look forward to any help anyone is able to offer here.

It is a 1998 LC 100 Series 1FZ-FE Auto Petrol.

Thanks in Advance.

Wow, never seen that before.
Normally oil leaks out the rear main not in and from what I know about engines and gear box's I can't see how that would happen as the torque converter on a auto box is "sealed" to the box.
Not sure if it is possible for the oils to mix via a oil cooler system unless it is a after market modified one as the gearbox oil is normally cooled via the engine coolant in the radiator and on the diesels there is normally a engine oil cooler via coolant in the engine block, petrol's I don't know as never seen one.

As JT says above, I can't see any way that gearbox ATF could mix with engine oil, irrespective of what may have failed.

ATF in the coolant and vice versa when the radiator or the ATF pipe in it degrades, but no way would this affect the engine oil.

Are you sure that ATF hasn't been put into the engine by other means to cause the red tinge, or a red colored engine oil additive used?

You suggest it, but despite the low ATF level, is the gearbox not functioning at all?

Have you had any work AT ALL on the engine ? It is possible for diesel fuel to get into the engine oil and raise the oil level.

Have you had any work AT ALL on the engine ? It is possible for diesel fuel to get into the engine oil and raise the oil level.

I would hope not Frank,

It is a 1998 LC 100 Series 1FZ-FE Auto Petrol.

I do know that you can use ATF as a engine flush as it works as both a lubricant and a cleaning agent, would not advocate using it long term in an engine though.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Can't ATF from the power steering pump make its way into the engine oil if the pump leaks? Depends on quantity of course and doesn't explain the gearbox problem. Also, have you checked the gearbox ATF level with the correct method (before the shifting problem) which IIRC involves something like getting it up to temperature, cycling it through all gears then checking level to the "Hot" mark on the dipstick? It may be coincidental that you have some other fault. If it's the electronic gearbox (which I'm guessing it is, could a plug have been dislodged underneath? May be worth checking for any damage underneath and the auto box fuse. I would have thought losing ATF would result in a puddle under the truck. It won't bypass the flywheel and get into the engine via shaft seals and as has been said, there aren't any coolers on these beasts between engine oil and ATF.

If I where you, I'd top up your ATF a little and see if you can select a gear, and look at your power steering ATF level.

If the petrol is like the early hdj100, then the dipstick for ATF and engine oil are next to each other. Could it be someone doing an ATF drain and fill, and then used the wrong dipstick for filling? That's about 3 litres.

Only other way I see would be the pump (StarCruza)

That's a good call Uhu! That would explain low ATF in the box and high in the engine.

Back