Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Crispin

Administrator
Staff member
Guru
Country Flag
great_britain
I find it odd that in 2016 a vehicle does not have auto folding mirrors when you lock it.
end rant.

Right, so, at the risk of being ribbed by @TonyP again about this - I don't have folding mirrors.

I have found a few candidates from China who sell kits to enable this function. It works on the 120/150 (not sure if the 80/90/100 will work - can enquire)
The kits are simple plug-in options which use the existing CANbus to tell the mirrors to fold when the alarm is armed. No need for anything else.

I'm trying to gauge interest in a group buy. I can order them from China for a lot cheaper than they available in the UK.

Anyone interested in this? I'll stick a poll up top to see who and for which model they want.

Once we know numbers then we can see what the price is but I suspect it'll be sub-£50

C

I am interested for my 80 but, IIRC was it @chapel gate who retro fitted a set to his 80? With no CAN on the 80 I think apart from the mirror themselves, there was an ECU involved and I think the mirror position switch is different as well?

Assuming @chapel gate was the person responsible for the mod, perhaps he will pop in with his info?

regards

Dave

I'm assuming that need to have the electric "folding" function in the first instance, to be able to turn it into an "auto folding" function via one of these widgets?

In that case I'm out......as early UK spec 90s like mine don't have a folding mirror function, though it may have been introduced for the facelift versions - not sure.

Yip. I could supply some string and duct tape. :)

Reactions: Sag
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I find it odd that in 2016 a vehicle does not have auto folding mirrors when you lock it.
end rant.

Right, so, at the risk of being ribbed by @TonyP again about this - I don't have folding mirrors.

I have found a few candidates from China who sell kits to enable this function. It works on the 120/150 (not sure if the 80/90/100 will work - can enquire)
The kits are simple plug-in options which use the existing CANbus to tell the mirrors to fold when the alarm is armed. No need for anything else.

I'm trying to gauge interest in a group buy. I can order them from China for a lot cheaper than they available in the UK.

Anyone interested in this? I'll stick a poll up top to see who and for which model they want.

Once we know numbers then we can see what the price is but I suspect it'll be sub-£50

C
Would they be capable of auto folding before switching the engine off?
I have a very narrow access road between houses to negotiate to get to my garage (I think it was built for 1920's cars :think:) With the mirrors out there is clearance of about 2" either side, it's very tight, at the moment I pull in the driver side which helps a bit but I still catch the passenger side now and again.

I'm assuming that need to have the electric "folding" function in the first instance, to be able to turn it into an "auto folding" function via one of these widgets?

In that case I'm out......as early UK spec 90s like mine don't have a folding mirror function, though it may have been introduced for the facelift versions - not sure.

The folding mirrors were the toy I got when going from my 90 to an LC3 120. I was really impressed and showed a couple of people. Who replied, "pffft", and had had them for years.

@Chas
If you have the ability to fold the mirrors in now then perhaps this would work when you lock it.
If they don't have the ability now - i.e. there is no Fold Mirrors button on the dash - then it'll not do anything more.

@Rob Cowell
I know. The LC has so much engineering to it but something as simple as foldingmirrorswhenlocking still eludes them. Also the closewindowswhenlocking has been around since the, well, a long time. Pretty poor that the latest 150 does not include it. :(

If you can trigger them from within the car with the engine off, then it would be easy enough to find a feed to do fold them when the engine is running. Likewise finding the 'pulse' that locks the doors, should be able to be used to trigger a timer relay, perhaps 5 seconds to allow them to fold when the doors lock actuates?

I think it all hinges (pun not intended) on whether the motors are in the mirrors in the first place.

Windows closing when activating the door locks again should be easy enough by using alarm modules to activate the motors, something we did years ago.

regards

Dave

@Chas
If you have the ability to fold the mirrors in now then perhaps this would work when you lock it.
If they don't have the ability now - i.e. there is no Fold Mirrors button on the dash - then it'll not do anything more.
No button . . . bugger!

It's a nice idea, but I have 100% manual mirrors on my old '95 80, no wires whatsoever.

I suppose I could get retractable mirrors wired up, but I'd need to get switches for the mirror adjustment.

What would be an advantage here for the winter, is a heater on the back of the glass.

Edit

I'm a dumb ass, just re-read the op and this is a kit to add to existing electric mirrors.

I'm out.

Last edited:
Mine is a 94 with electric movement but no folding, and no apparent heating unless the elements are broke?

It should be easy enough to wire up the heating elements Clive, you can buy various sizes on the internet, wire them in a push to make switch setting off a timer relay and away you go.

regards

Dave

It should be easy enough to wire up the heating elements Clive, you can buy various sizes on the internet, wire them in a push to make switch setting off a timer relay and away you go.

You can wire them up to the rear defroster. It's already timed, wiring loom / fuse probably enough (but check) and if you need one then it's entirely probable you need the other.

Did you say folding mirrors? You are so behind the curve.... Lol

You can wire them up to the rear defroster. It's already timed, wiring loom / fuse probably enough (but check) and if you need one then it's entirely probable you need the other.

Are we talking about the 80 HRW Crispin? AFAIK my HRW is PTM/PTB so no timer.

regards

Dave

Back