Auto Gear Box Oil Is Disappearing

Graham Whitehead Jul 25, 2019

1. Graham Whitehead

Graham Whitehead New Member I am in great_britain

Map
    I have noticed that my auto gearbox oil is creeping down and I have topped it up twice now

BUT There are no leaks under the car, drive is always as clean as a whistle, so where is it going ?

Thanks

G

2. chadr

chadr Well-Known Member I am in england

Garage:
    Map
    Not a good sign. Have you check the radiator and coolant? There is a trans oil cooler situated in the base of the main radiator - a rad within a rad, if you like.

Check the coolant for contamination from autobox oil or vice versa.

If so, best to replace the radiator and flush and replace ALL the autobox oil after that.

Add: usually it's the auto fluid that gets contaminated by coolant ( as it's at higher pressure when up to temp). So your situation seems a little unusual.

3. Beau

Beau Well-Known Member I am in guyana

Map
    How are you measuring the fluid? Most reliable reading done on a warm box.

StarCruiser likes this.
  4. AdventureWagon

AdventureWagon New Member I am in australia

Map
    If it isn't the radiator then check the transmission pan bolts are secure. I had an ATF leak a while ago down to this.

5. StarCruiser

StarCruiser Well-Known Member Supporter Guru I am in uk

Garage:
    Map
    As Beau says, there’s a procedure for checking the level. Engine running, warm box (do a few miles drive) cycle through all gears then dip the ATF. I would expect it to rise and contain coolant if there was a leak in the cooler in the base of the rad. There’s more pressure in the coolant system than the auto box hydraulic system at that point.

AdventureWagon likes this.
  6. clivehorridge

clivehorridge Well-Known Member Supporter Guru I am in romania

Garage:
    Map
    It shouldn’t be too difficult to do a cooling system pressure check, that would confirm / eliminate the concept of the ATF going into the cooling system.

As said, it’s more likely that (higher pressure) coolant is being forced into the gearbox, but with little sign of mayo on the ATF dip stick, and a test that says less than 1% (I don’t know if that’s significant or not), it seems there’s an external leak, despite no drips on the driveway.

There must be an answer to this somewhere...

7. Gav missin

Gav missin Well-Known Member

Map
    Gearbox sump gasket weeps on my 80. Doesn't drip but just mists the underside of the truck which isn't a bad thing for rust prevention . Talking about maybe a litre a year I top up.

Don't like the adverts? Become a supporter