Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Auto transmission gearchange weirdness

majic79

So everybody in LandCruiser land, I have another technical one that I'm hoping someone more knowledgeable than myself can shed light on...

Generally the transmission has been fine, I've got it on my list of jobs to replace the trans fluid (tonights job when I get home) and I know the diff oils are due for replacement also

When I want to reverse, I'll come to a stop, engage reverse and there's a definite slip (like something's spinning freely for a moment) and thud into gear if I'm a bit quick trying to hit the go pedal, then the same will happen when I then go into Drive, a slip (again, something spins freely) and then thud into gear. Sometimes, it goes into reverse with just the thud and no slip (pause)

Also, when accelerating up to speed, I will generally hold revs at 2800rpm and just let the transmission do its job, but between 2nd and 3rd, the gearchange has a noticeable pause (and sometimes a hint of deceleration while the gear engages)

so 1) What's the pause between going forwards and reversing?
2) What's the thud?
3) Why the hesititation?

Will feedback the results of the oil change tonight (debating wether to make it a double dose changeover...)

You could have a weak Direct clutch in the gearbox (only common drive item between Reverse and third). First step would be to drop the pan off the box, clean the strainer and refill with oil to the correct level (engine running, cycle through the box P <-> L a few times then check in neutral with the engine running).

If it is the direct clutch its box out and rebuild time.

Back