Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Autocamp Marco Polo rooftent for sale

Toby

Hi,

This neat little roof tent lived on top of my 80 for a number of years, and has performed very well. The Landcruiser has gone to a new home (hi Lorin!) and it's replacement is a Mercedes 814da which we'll be sleeping inside of, rather than on top of, so this is up for sale.

The Marco Polo is an excellent design, much better suited to the widely varied conditions of Europe and Asia than the popular South African brands - and more robust too if our experience in a sahara sandstorm a few years ago is anything to go by; fellow forumite Ian had a Howling Moon rooftent which ripped away from it's base down one side, causing some rather violent, erm, 'sand ingress'. The Marco Polo, parked a few yards away, came through unscathed - German engineering and all that...

No problems with bad weather - the ladder is inside the tent and can be fully enclosed by the drop-down sides, which also provide a useful changing area with full standing height. It comes with removable extensions for the sides which should accommodate the tallest 4x4s. There was length to spare on our 80 series with a 4" lift and 36" tyres. It has heavy duty clamps to attach it to normal rectangular Thule type roof bars.

The sleeping area is 200cms long by 160cm wide, but the tent folds to a pleasingly compact 130cm x 160cm x 25cm package on the roof, giving acceptable aerodynamics, certainly better than the slab sided south african designs. Comfortable foam mattresses with natty beige and white striped covers are included.

A fully waterproof cover goes over the folded tent, held in place with loops of shock-cord hooked around low profile buttons. This simple system seems to work well, with no more dust infiltration than Ian's Howling Moon with a zip all the way around, and it seems a bit easier to use too. I found a couple of minor tears in the cover so have had them professionally patched and at the same time have had the corner seams re-stitched with UV resistant thread to ensure many more years' service.

The tent is in used, but pretty good, condition; it does have some grubby marks, mostly from where the aluminium ladder sits when folded.

Autocamp's website is at www.autocamp.de or here is Google's effort at translating it into English.

Here are some current pictures: https://goo.gl/photos/wSgdyGw3RsfBPfNu9

And a couple of much older ones showing it folded away:

dscf00073.jpg

and in use (it's the one on the left, to the right is the Howling Moon pre sand-storm):

dscf0205.jpg
dscf00073.html

The tent is currently in my driveway and our new van is due back from it's respray soon, which will leave me a bit short of space, so I'm asking £550 for a quick sale; these are 2995 euros new (no wonder you don't see many of them!) so this must be a bit of a bargain for someone. I live in Godalming, Surrey, about five minutes off the A3 if you'd like to view.

Thanks for looking,
Toby
07768 505521

Hi Toby,

Could be interested in this if it is still available...?

Thanks
AGM

Hi,

Yes it is still available - would you like to come and have a look?

All the best,
Toby

Back