Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Autogearbox

Renate

Country Flag
england
Hi y'all
Has any of you had major work done on your 80 series auto gearbox recently?
Ma Beast broke down and it is suspected it is an auto gearbox problem, so its currently at a garage giving me time to evaluate whether it is time to reconsider owning ma White Thunder....
Cost-wise any ideas as to how much a second hand one would cost or a re-conditioned one?
Cheers
Renate

Hi Renate ... also where are you and what specific model/year do you have?

time to evaluate whether it is time to reconsider owning ma White Thunder....
Cheers
Renate

Don't do it, :eusa-naughty: you will regret it forever.

The 80 series Auto boxes are considered to be nigh on indestructible. I'd seek a second opinion before making any decisions.

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Typical of used car dealers i reckon , tell you it needs a million spent to fix it , buy it at a knock down price , fix it in 20 minutes and sell it for a huge profit the next day .

Been here before renate :(
Keep it as you did last time.
Cost I's high for a box though. I'd do one at the same as Andy quoted!

Cheers

Have you tried the simple things like the fluid?

Also,if the clutches are breaking up it may have clogged the filter in the box. May get away with new fluid and a cleaned filter.

Yaa Karl

Not sure whether I can realistically continue to run the poor thing.
Costing me far too much.
Still thinking about selling it though - £2,000 maybe? as it is? since I have no idea how much an old walrus is actually worth...
Been here before renate :(
Keep it as you did last time.
Cost I's high for a box though. I'd do one at the same as Andy quoted!

Cheers

Hi Karl,
Yep, fluid was replaced new literally less than a year ago - 6 months maybe.
I assume an autogearbox has a filter somewhere?
Cheers
Have you tried the simple things like the fluid?

Also,if the clutches are breaking up it may have clogged the filter in the box. May get away with new fluid and a cleaned filter.

The box has a pick up filter in the bottom of the box.

Have you had the gearbox oil temp light come on?

May be looking at torque converter giving up or the plates in the box then.

Hi Andy
My favoured 4x4 garage bloke has been driving it around his yard; when he'd received it to look at it worked, so he's doing a few runs and trying it in different gears to see if the same thing happens; he said he'd be able, through driving it, to feel how it handles and how it changes gear - he asked me whether I'd mind, nup, not at all, I said, rather him than me, then he'd be in a much better position to suss out what the problem is; not costing me anything whilst he's doing that as well, which is good.
Cheers
Garry the 80 breaker ( 01945 410418) has a good autobox for £480.

Andy

No Karl, no warning lights at all - very strange.
Would make some sense re torque converter or the plates in the box - I didn't think of that until you mentioned it - thanx! there may be light at the end of the tunnel then....if I'm lucky.
Cheers
The box has a pick up filter in the bottom of the box.

Have you had the gearbox oil temp light come on?

May be looking at torque converter giving up or the plates in the box then.

Renate, have you tried it in A) reverse and B) low range? My silver one was like this when I got it. No forward motion at all in high but when in low box it would creep a little. Unfortunately it was terminal. When we pulled the box it was second hand! So it had been swapped once already. There are a whole series of tests that you can run. Blocked filter is one yes, but pretty unlikely really. If it's blocked with friction band material then it's not the blocking that's the issue - it's the fact that the bands have worn out. But there are some solenoids in there too which are simple to replace and they can be tested in situ. But, one really important thing to check is the big grey plug down near the starter motor. This is where the auto box and the car are essentially joined together. Unplug that and the gal won't move.

My thoughts would be if it's been driven hard, poorly looked after and towed steam engines out of ditches all its life then sorry. It's the box. But if it has had a normal life then it is likely that the box is the last thing to go. Was this sudden?

The 80 series Auto boxes are considered to be nigh on indestructible. I'd seek a second opinion before making any decisions.
Agree :) We towed a caravan for about 50 miles without realising that handbrake for the caravan was on. It is stupid and we should have checked - there is no excuse for that.:cry: There is a autobox temp gauge installed as well as a large Hayden transmission cooler. Box was recently filled with a fully synthetic atf. There were moments when the temp gauge went upto 110 - 120 degrees C but thanks to big cooler and adjusting "driving style" it cooled down pretty quick to 80. The A/T temp light did not come on. I checked the colour of the oil when we got home. It smells like it should. Fingers crossed no permanent damaged done. Totally different story with the caravan handbrake though.

Last edited:
Back