Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Autohome Overcamp oppinions?

ModelMakerMan

Country Flag
england
Anyone own or used an Overcamp?

I spend a lot of time traveling around the UK and Europe kayaking (Ill easily put 20k miles on the car this year just on trips). This involves a lot of overnight stops and camping. At the moment if its just myself or me and SWMBO we sleep in the back of the car which is actually pretty comfortable as its big enough to lie out and flat with the seats down (we also found that an Ikea double futon mattress fits like it was made to measure!) but its a pain shifting all the kit around to lay the bed out (especially when its raining) and not always possible to do either.

Ive been trying to think of alternatives other than buying a van (which Im considering but wont be able to afford what I want for a couple of years) and I came across the Overcamp which seems like a great solution in theory:

It will only take up half the roof meaning I should still be able to get at least 2 kayaks on the roof next to it (I have 130cm bars at the moment and could put 150cm on if needed).
I can deploy it in French services quickly for overnight stops without having to unpack the car.
If I bought the legs I could remove it from the car and use on a campsite on arrival.

Possible problems:

UK whitewater season is in the winter and is wet and cold. How much water can it withstand?
Less covert that sleeping in the car, probably wont get away with covert layby stopovers.
Very expensive
Extra drag (fuel consumption), though not a massive deal compared to carrying canoes and kayaks on the roof!

Any input greatly appreciated :)

I'd need somewhere to get warm after all that winter water madness, sell the car and get a van, install heating, make it comfortable. (I've done the bannanas for fingers thing during winter windsurfing madness)

Anything you spend between now and getting your van is only coming out of your van budget, lengthening the time you'll be cold and uncomfortable, winter camping on the roof is no more comfortable than winter camping in same size ground tent!

Im not bothered about the cold, that's what the pub is for! ;) I camp in the winter anyway and sleeping in the car isn't much better.

Im confused Shane that link is for a teardrop caravan?! Trailers are not an option; extra cost on ferries and bridges, lower speed limits on euro roads, even more drag that roof load and a pain to manouver down the tiny roads which are usually the access to the rivers.

Back