Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Automatic gearbox woes

Helijock

Country Flag
uk
Started to get intermittent loss of drive so pulled into a car park, found most of my oil lying on the ground. Did I say I was in Spain having radio therapy for 6 weeks. The Land was recovered to a Toyota garage and the problem turned out to be corroded gearbox oil pipes. That was the good news as I was half expecting a dead gearbox. Then the bad news, no parts in Europe, this from the main importer in Belgium, so they ordered the pipes etc and said they should be here end of APRIL!

If its any help mate, I've had power steering pipes modified by an hydraulic hose company a couple of times, once using steel pipes and once using hydraulic hose, both with compression fittings, may be of some help if you can find a company local to where you are.

That's really bad news (although good that you've avoided a dead gearbox). I know nothing of autoboxes, but I assume these are the pipes leading to/from the oil cooler. Can't some sort of temporary fix be arranged using rubber hose to replace the corroded section (as with fuel pipes) or the sort of tape that wraps around a corroded section (fibre fix I think is one brand name)? Or is the pressure too great to risk something like that?

Sounds like a job for any comptent hydraulic hose repair specalist, they should be able to make a hose to patern either in steel or a rubber alterative.
Most companies are mobile as the majority of their work is on plant and machinery not able to travel to to service centres.
I am sure a quick google will turn up somone who can offer this service near to your trucks location and it wiil probably be more cost effective than the Toyota alternative.

Thanks for the advice guys, something to look at between visits to the hospital.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I'm in Torroella de Montgri and go every day to Girona. I only recently sold my house here and moved back to the UK only to find that treatment here was available months before the UK. Had the choice of two cars to travel back with but chose the Landy as it would hold more wine!!!

Started to get intermittent loss of drive so pulled into a car park, found most of my oil lying on the ground. Did I say I was in Spain having radio therapy for 6 weeks. The Land was recovered to a Toyota garage and the problem turned out to be corroded gearbox oil pipes. That was the good news as I was half expecting a dead gearbox. Then the bad news, no parts in Europe, this from the main importer in Belgium, so they ordered the pipes etc and said they should be here end of APRIL!

Do you mean the pipes that run from the gear box to the lower part of the radiator (integrated oil cooler) ?
Those lines are connected with a spring clamp on the radiator, and have almost no pressure for as far as i know. This means you can run temporary rubber hoses for emergencie from your auto gearbox to radiator.
With 4 hose clamps and 3 meter hose you can temporary fix two lines and keep driving.
Have new lines fixed by a hydraulic company, they bend steel lines same as original.
Original toyota is too expensive, if ..... they have them in stock in europe !

Had a surprise call from the garage this morning to tell me the car was ready, I was expecting to have to fly back early May after being told parts we coming by boat!!!

Sweet. No more worrying about the car.
Now you can get on with getting well again.

And a grin on your face no doubt. Glad to hear it. :thumbup:
You get well now y'hear. You'll have many more years happy motoring with that cruiser.

Back