Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Automatic Hubs wont Lock.

Justin.t

Country Flag
canada
Hey, I have a 93 Diesel HzJ73 landcruiser with auto locking hubs. The problem I am having is the hubs wont lock. I have put a volt meter to the connection and it gets 20 volts when the hub lock button is pressed (though it seems they should get 24)? It seems this is a common problem, any simple fixes? I have not yet put 24 volts directly to the hubs (that's the next step) to figure out if it is a electrical issue or whether something inside the hubs is stuck? any advice would be appreciated. Also if it is a persistent problem I am thinking about switching to manual hubs, and wondering if anyone has part numbers for new ones that would fit. Thanks.

Last edited:
Hey, I have a 92 Diesel HJ73 landcruiser with auto locking hubs. The problem I am having is the hubs wont lock. I have put a volt meter to the connection and it gets 20 volts when the hub lock button is pressed (though it seems they should get 24)? It seems this is a common problem, any simple fixes? I have not yet put 24 volts directly to the hubs (that's the next step) to figure out if it is a electrical issue or whether something inside the hubs is stuck? any advice would be appreciated. Also if it is a persistent problem I am thinking about switching to manual hubs, and wondering if anyone has part numbers for new ones that would fit. Thanks.
I don't know if this is any help but I have a kzj78 which had the same problem. The contact brushes on the shaft were the problem, they were worn out. Firstly I made new brushes out of old alternator brushes. These lasted a season but failed just when I was in a tricky situation. My final answer was to fit manual hubs which I bought from europarts. Their site has a model specific search tool. If you don't find what you want, just give them a call, they're very helpful.
Good luck

Hey thanks i appreciate the response. From what i read online it seems like manual hubs are my best bet. I tried putting 24 volts directly from the batteries to the hubs the other day and still got nothing to move. I am looking into the best source to find the hubs. In Canada it seems like the parts are not as common. This website ( http://www.euro4x4parts.com/toyota_...99/4_transmission/P/free_wheeling_hubs_manual ) seems to be the best one i can find. Just wondering if anyone has ordered from here before and if the description matches what you get? Also if anyone has done the same conversion on this model land cruiser (HZJ73) and could recommend there source for parts or other genera advice that would be awesome. Thanks

I've used Euro4x4parts a lot and they are very good

I haven't ordered parts for a 70 series from Euro 4x4 but regularly use them for parts for my 40 and have done for the last 5 years. In my experience the parts match the descriptions, they are very helpful and are spot on with their delivery times. IMO Euro 4x4 are one of the best suppliers around as you always know where you are with them and if it is an obscure or difficult part they do go the extra mile to help.
Several years ago a buddy down in Spain here did a similar conversion on his 70 series and considered AVC hubs but in the end went with Aisin. It worked for him and he got them from Euro 4x4.

Regards,

Hey thanks i appreciate the response. From what i read online it seems like manual hubs are my best bet. I tried putting 24 volts directly from the batteries to the hubs the other day and still got nothing to move. I am looking into the best source to find the hubs. In Canada it seems like the parts are not as common. This website ( http://www.euro4x4parts.com/toyota_...99/4_transmission/P/free_wheeling_hubs_manual ) seems to be the best one i can find. Just wondering if anyone has ordered from here before and if the description matches what you get? Also if anyone has done the same conversion on this model land cruiser (HZJ73) and could recommend there source for parts or other genera advice that would be awesome. Thanks
That's where I got mine too .. you'll have to make sure you get the right number of studs, they aren't all the same on the 70s. Good luck

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back