Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

B9003 sat nav unit and fitting reverse camera

paulnanrod

Country Flag
great_britain
Hi I'm looking to buy an LC4 land cruiser and it has the B9003 Toyota nav system in. Has anyone fitted a reverse camera to this, and how difficult was it? Main things I'm thinking is power source, and how to find the reverse light cable to power it. From what I can read about installing reverse cameras it seems pretty straightforward.

Thanks....

I just tapped into the reverse light wire for a power feed.

Can't comment on the B9003 unit - I've got an aftermarket Sony headunit. The sony just had a phono/av plug for the camera input - I suspect yours will be similar, but thats just a guess.

I used a wireless reversing camera to save running the video wire the full length of the vehicle.

Ibrecently replacedthe turn by turn sat nav on my Lc4 with a Pioneer headunit with CarPlay which gives me satnav mirrored from my iPhone as well
As
DAB radio. Works well. As part of that I installed a reversing camera.( I also installed reversing sensors because good ones are only about £15!from Amazon). It uses a standard rca cable and if yours does too then it’s fairly straightforward. If you want it to come on when reverse is engaged then you can easily take a feed from the offside rear reversing light. If you need more detailed info v happy to oblige inc how to get the trim pieces off etc to run the cables.

Should probably start a separate thread for this but what do you think of your Pioneer headunit - what model is it? Thanks!

Should probably start a separate thread for this but what do you think of your Pioneer headunit - what model is it? Thanks!
No go for it - what’s it like? That was my original thought - a head unit with apple car play and Bluetooth for my phone, as well as a camera but the one I’m looking at has the Toyota head unit. Happy to swap out and cover some of the cost with the Toyota unit.
Which model of pioneer did you go for Adrianlle?

Ibrecently replacedthe turn by turn sat nav on my Lc4 with a Pioneer headunit with CarPlay which gives me satnav mirrored from my iPhone as well
As
DAB radio. Works well. As part of that I installed a reversing camera.( I also installed reversing sensors because good ones are only about £15!from Amazon). It uses a standard rca cable and if yours does too then it’s fairly straightforward. If you want it to come on when reverse is engaged then you can easily take a feed from the offside rear reversing light. If you need more detailed info v happy to oblige inc how to get the trim pieces off etc to run the cables.
I’ll come back to you, but thanks for that. I’ve got a mechanic checking the car over Friday so if all is good I will give you a shout about running cables etc

thanks

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
No go for it - what’s it like? That was my original thought - a head unit with apple car play and Bluetooth for my phone, as well as a camera but the one I’m looking at has the Toyota head unit. Happy to swap out and cover some of the cost with the Toyota unit.
Which model of pioneer did you go for Adrianlle?

We'll see what Adrianlle says about the Pioneer.

I've got a Sony AX3005. Easy enough to fit with an ISO wire from Halfords. Reverse camera plugged into it, a microphone for the hands free and a DAB aerial.

If you're not used to japanese cars you may be surprised how much you have to dismantle to change it - I'm used to using two radio keys then sliding the old headunit out and new one in - but not here! 4 million screws later, and you're there. Its not that bad really, but just be prepared the first time you see it!

Sony didn't QUITE fit the gap left by my original Toyota radio - i used the cover from a black exercise book from Tescos to go around the gap - perfect.

Would I get it again? It works well ; DAB is good and I use it for Android Auto so I can get google maps / waze / YT music etc. It has some physical buttons that I like for volume, next/previous channel and to turn the screen off - that was important to me. The touchscreen isn't quite as responsive as I'd like - its fine, but its not an Ipad. You can upgrade the firmware which is good; I dont like the fact you cant upload your own gif/png/whatever for the background - I requested that feature 2 years ago and they havent bothered.

I'd look around and see whats available now, technology has probably improved since I bought it - but its a solid option.

I’ll come back to you, but thanks for that. I’ve got a mechanic checking the car over Friday so if all is good I will give you a shout about running cables etc

thanks
Consensus seems to be rust rust rust! If you find a good one and its a half decent price get it; everything else can be fixed!

I think LC4 is a good option too because 1) you can replace the headunit which is a lot harder on LC5 and 2) you dont have to worry about LC5 air suspension failures.

We'll see what Adrianlle says about the Pioneer.

I've got a Sony AX3005. Easy enough to fit with an ISO wire from Halfords. Reverse camera plugged into it, a microphone for the hands free and a DAB aerial.

If you're not used to japanese cars you may be surprised how much you have to dismantle to change it - I'm used to using two radio keys then sliding the old headunit out and new one in - but not here! 4 million screws later, and you're there. Its not that bad really, but just be prepared the first time you see it!

Sony didn't QUITE fit the gap left by my original Toyota radio - i used the cover from a black exercise book from Tescos to go around the gap - perfect.

Would I get it again? It works well ; DAB is good and I use it for Android Auto so I can get google maps / waze / YT music etc. It has some physical buttons that I like for volume, next/previous channel and to turn the screen off - that was important to me. The touchscreen isn't quite as responsive as I'd like - its fine, but its not an Ipad. You can upgrade the firmware which is good; I dont like the fact you cant upload your own gif/png/whatever for the background - I requested that feature 2 years ago and they havent bothered.

I'd look around and see whats available now, technology has probably improved since I bought it - but its a solid option.
that sounds pretty much what I’m after - we tow in France so using google maps instead of a factory non-updated sat nav is a big thing. Then Spotify after that, so probably end up swapping out the Toyota unit and sticking it on eBay

I had an old x trail a good few years ago and fitted a parrot Bluetooth kit in it. I remember getting the radio out meant that the car was 80% dismantled. Guessing it’s the same with a land cruiser but patience was a massive part of that one

Consensus seems to be rust rust rust! If you find a good one and its a half decent price get it; everything else can be fixed!

I think LC4 is a good option too because 1) you can replace the headunit which is a lot harder on LC5 and 2) you dont have to worry about LC5 air suspension failures.
That’s my big concern. Found a local 2005 LC4 with 70k on that looked perfect. I wrote a letter through the door and the owner didn’t want to sell, but has since passed away so his family contacted me. I’ve taken a look underneath from the back, and all axle, diff, joints look rusty in my non-mechanic eyes so I’m choosing to travel for one that on pictures looks much better, but getting a prepurchase inspection done first so fingers crossed

You're almost certainly going to see some rust given the age of these vehicles now - if you look back you'll find people post pics of the underside here for an expert view! So ask your mehanic to take some then the experts (not me!) here can probably advise too.

Yes from what I understand a bit of age related rust is fine and treatable, which I would treat. It’s when it tips over into rot or getting that way is a ‘walk away’ job.
The inspection I’ve organised is a thorough check, pictures, a test drive and then a conversation with the mechanic so will see what his opinion is then get pics on

thanks for your advice

Good luck with the purchase. As for the Pioneer, it is Z 3200Dab. I wanted something that was as cheap as poss consistent with quality, CarPlay for iPhone, dabradio, input for reversing camera, slot for cd, and button to turn it off. I looked for a bit on eBay and eventually found this ex demo one for about £200. It works well and aesthetically is a good fit with a couple of infill edges from Dynamic Sounds. Easy electrical fit with an iso adapter. But if a palava taking off trim etc but not too bad. At this level the resistance screen is not as responsive as a capacitive screen but you have to pay a lot more money for one of those. So I’m content

As

Hi Adrian - I'm at the stage of fitting now I have my head unit, camera and DAB aerial. Happy with the head unit and aerial, but at the camera stage. You mentioned asking for info on removing panels etc. How did you run the cabling from rear to front? Was it panel off on the rear driver side in the boot? I'm guessing the following:

make access for wire in rear registration plate light trim and fit camera, remove boot door panel to feed wire through, use wire housing pipe from door to car body to feed wire, remove boot side-panel to feed wire along side of boot, tuck wire under rear and front driver door trim to front then behind dash to head unit. Have you any tips or 'don't dos'

Thanks in advance for your help.....

make access for wire in rear registration plate light trim and fit camera, remove boot door panel to feed wire through, use wire housing pipe from door to car body to feed wire, remove boot side-panel to feed wire along side of boot, tuck wire under rear and front driver door trim to front then behind dash to head unit. Have you any tips or 'don't dos'

My reversing camera is wireless so I didn't have to run the wire, HOWEVER!

When I had the boot door panel off, i fitted a wire for a rear dashcam. That went from the back door into the car body through the black wire housing pipe, then I ran it up towards the top of the headlining and ran the wire at the top of the car rather than the bottom. I've only run it half way and coiled it up (half a job Harry - dashcam not fitted yet), but it might be another option to consider, and less destruction!

Also you probably wont need to fully remove the driver side boot rear panel - once you take the rubber weatherstrip off the back door you should have a bit of access - enough to feed a wire in, and you can just pull the panel off by a few clips at the edge and bend it a bit for the access you need. Even if you decide to run the wire along the floor you can still 'fish' the wire through and leave most of the panels in place.

Your work plan is pretty much spot on. !The boot door panel comes off fairly easily. Prise out the 2 small covers on the interior handle and then the handle pulls out with gentle force. Then in the net on the back door you will findn2 more small covers. Prise them out and underneath one of them is a Phillip screw -remove. Re
move the tool tray. Then use a thin blade to prise a bottom corner of the trim panel out enough to get your fingers in. Then gentle pressure and the first trim clip will come away from the door. Then work your way round with your fingers. No need to remove the top panel as the bottom one will pull out of the top one. Once the panel is off and one of the number plate lamps has been prised out it will be easy to mount the camera and route the wire into the boot door. There is an obvious but there as an earth point.
From the boot door take the cable into the rear driver side boot panel via the flexible rubber conduit. That is a fiddly job and I threaded a slightly flexible tube through as a puller for the cables.
The driver’s side boot panel doesn’t have to come off completely. Just unclip the vertical rear side aand the top and there will be enough room to pull cables through to the side of the rear seat.
At the rear seat take off the 2 small covers on the square tread plate. Then unbolt it. Then slide a thin blade under the trim at the rear door sill and gentle upward pressure to unclip it. Ditto at the drivers door sill. Ditto the quarter panel to the right of the accelerator having first unscrewed the plastic turn nut down there.
That should give you a clear run all the way.
If your camera is being powered by reverse then get the feed from the offside rear light. Unscrew the 2 bolts visible when the door is open and then slide the whole light unit backwards.

Hope that helps but ask if you need anything else.

My reversing camera is wireless so I didn't have to run the wire, HOWEVER!

When I had the boot door panel off, i fitted a wire for a rear dashcam. That went from the back door into the car body through the black wire housing pipe, then I ran it up towards the top of the headlining and ran the wire at the top of the car rather than the bottom. I've only run it half way and coiled it up (half a job Harry - dashcam not fitted yet), but it might be another option to consider, and less destruction!

Also you probably wont need to fully remove the driver side boot rear panel - once you take the rubber weatherstrip off the back door you should have a bit of access - enough to feed a wire in, and you can just pull the panel off by a few clips at the edge and bend it a bit for the access you need. Even if you decide to run the wire along the floor you can still 'fish' the wire through and leave most of the panels in place.
Thanks for that....all helpful.....

Thanks.....just got to hope it gets above freezing so my fingers work! Will have a go on Sat/Sun and shout up if (when) I get stuck....

Your work plan is pretty much spot on. !The boot door panel comes off fairly easily. Prise out the 2 small covers on the interior handle and then the handle pulls out with gentle force. Then in the net on the back door you will findn2 more small covers. Prise them out and underneath one of them is a Phillip screw -remove. Re
move the tool tray. Then use a thin blade to prise a bottom corner of the trim panel out enough to get your fingers in. Then gentle pressure and the first trim clip will come away from the door. Then work your way round with your fingers. No need to remove the top panel as the bottom one will pull out of the top one. Once the panel is off and one of the number plate lamps has been prised out it will be easy to mount the camera and route the wire into the boot door. There is an obvious but there as an earth point.
From the boot door take the cable into the rear driver side boot panel via the flexible rubber conduit. That is a fiddly job and I threaded a slightly flexible tube through as a puller for the cables.
The driver’s side boot panel doesn’t have to come off completely. Just unclip the vertical rear side aand the top and there will be enough room to pull cables through to the side of the rear seat.
At the rear seat take off the 2 small covers on the square tread plate. Then unbolt it. Then slide a thin blade under the trim at the rear door sill and gentle upward pressure to unclip it. Ditto at the drivers door sill. Ditto the quarter panel to the right of the accelerator having first unscrewed the plastic turn nut down there.
That should give you a clear run all the way.
If your camera is being powered by reverse then get the feed from the offside rear light. Unscrew the 2 bolts visible when the door is open and then slide the whole light unit backwards.

Hope that helps but ask if you need anything else.

One thing I haven't considered, but may need. Did you need a wiring harness on your Pioneer unit? I haven't got one, but thought i may possibly need one.

thanks

I needed an iso to Toyota conversion harness and some plastic infill pieces as the existing opening is slightly larger than the double din Pioneer unit. I think the latter were for a Toyota Celicia which also fit the LC. I rang up Dynamic Sounds who told me their part numbers for those and then I ordered from them online. The bits weren’t v expensive and came really quickly. Incidentally if your Pioneer is anything like mine then it will support 2 cameras. So while I was about it under the dash I connected up some spare rca to the second input and coiled it in an accessible place so that I can install a front camera without having to remove the headunit and all the trim. I haven’t fitted the camera yet but I found a nice little camera that fits into the Toyota badge on the bonnet. That’s still on the to do list!

Back