Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Back Door hinge

BlackWidow

Garage
Well I finally got round to changing the back door hinge today. I have had an annoying rattle from the worn hinge for weeks now. It is an easy job all I did was back the truck up to the open garage door so that when the back door is open it leans against the wall on the number plate lights.

I then got the jack and placed it under the back of the open door and took the weight of the door. I did not take the spare wheel off as I used its weight to keep the door against the wall so it didn't tip over. Then I slackened off all the bolts to the hinge, the three for hinge to body and the two door to hinge. After slackening off I then adjusted the jack so that there was no weight on the hinge ie it was loose and not supporting any weight.

Once this was done I removed the bolts completely the three body bolts are very long but there is enough clearance to remove them and the two door ones come out easily enough. Refitting was easy too. Start with the body bolts and place the new hinge in the same place as the old was and tighten up. The door bolts have shoulders on them and there is no adjustment on these so just do them up.

Any way I now have no rattle and the back door shuts nice and smoothly.

Steve

Does this mean you will have to buy a new rear bumper with twin wheel carriers so you dont have to change the hinges again? ;)

I am hatching a plan to buy one from those guys in france and get it copied by my local engineering company, wonder how easy it is to adapt for other models.

I also had this annoying rattle, however instead of putting new hinges on I opened the door and loosened off the hinges then using an implement to raise the door handle edge, I then tightened the hinges up and Bobs your uncle.............

I am not familiar with Amayama and the ordering process , i get an earlier warning "more than one part available please be more specific" though i'm buggered if i know how to be and then when i get to the buy page the description is reduced to "hinge" .

I think i have two upper rear door hinges for a 1998 kzj90 and one lower door hinge for a 1999-2001 kzj90 which for reasons unknown costs 20 quid more than the upper hinge :wtf:

Sick of closing the page to start again so i would be grateful if someone familiar with Amayama could spare 5 mins and link me to what i need which is new back door hinges for a swb kzj90 .

https://www.amayama.com/en/part/toyota/6880160030

Damn the link only showed a single part - the correct upper hinge i believe

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I believe i need part numbers 68801 and 68803A must i just buy them separate because i can find no way to edit basket or order as a pair ?

Back