Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Back in a Land Cruiser: 1978 HJ45 Build and Adventures

Paddler Ed

Garage
Country Flag
australia
So, after a fruitless search for a Hilux ute, I some how ended up convincing my wife that a Land Cruiser was back in budget.

Now the original criteria nearly 3 months ago was something older and interesting... That criteria has seen us go from a Toyota Stout ute, to a Subaru Brumby. However, both were veto'd for various reasons, including lack of practicality and hard to get parts.

The Hilux was ideally going to be an Extra Cab, but finding one that isn't rooted is difficult. Had one lined up until yesterday when the guy told me it had just done a piston.

So, a quick look around, and I found this Land Cruiser 90 minutes away:

$_20.JPG

$_20.JPG

Really descriptive ad:
"needs a windscreen
Motor runs perfect
No rego
All the hard werk done on it"

Been taken apart pretty well, and any rust replaced with metal as opposed to fibre glass. Only the roof and a windscreen left to sort by the sounds of it:

$_20.JPG

What I do know:
1978 H motor that is supposed to run nicely - not touched in the refurb though
Drums all round
No power steering

Off to look at it Thursday (AUS time), so is there any magic rust hiding spots, or any other particular foibles I need to look out for? I know it's going to be a rocket ship, but that doesn't matter. It's mainly for dog carrying, fire wood collecting and some posing along with a bit of (slow) touring/bush work.

I had a yarn with a mate who has a HJ47 (he's had it for 30 years!) that has a 12HT in it, and he said the main thing was the brakes and the front end.

Priced up the instantly needed parts, and they're about $700 including the windscreen!

Check body mounts for rust and all body work. Rust on chassis around rear spring hangers and cross members.
Engines are robust and if any history of servicing etc then that would be a bonus.
Ask about the cooling system and check for leaks etc.
First impressions look good if the price is right.
I want one!!

As Ben says but also front wing hangers collect debris between wing and mount. Truck has a post '79 headlight surround fitted - square rather then round - so it may have history. Check door bottoms - drained holes (3 ) get overlooked on rebuilds. From photo the master cylinder doesn't look too clever - changed mine recently and it made a big difference to the brakes.
Does look good

Regards,
Rodger

Are you getting rid of the 4-Runner Ed, or having 2 Toyota's? :)

Going to be a bit different jumping in an old 40 with no power steering after the comfort of the 4-Runner. :shifty:

We're going to be a 2x Toyota household (and 2x Yamaha's). It's not going to replace the 4Runner, there's a place for a wagon as well for some stuff.

So yes we got it, so in time I'll start a build thread... on Saturday...

Started on the first turn of the key after letting it glow up, and was a bit shaky on idle. Loaded it up (put it in gear and drove it) and it was smooth as. Gearbox is fine as well, shifts nicely (once I remember the shift pattern...) and only a few drips around the swivel hubs and one rear axle cap. Brakes pull a bit to the left when you stand on them, but it pulls up nicely. Could do with some new tyres sooner rather than later (not sure I like the 33s that are on it), and definitely needs a new windscreen (fitted, including rubber = $350)

Wife is happy driving it as well.

May not have got the bargain of the year, but paid a fair price for it (within what I wanted to pay). Reckon it'll be on the road (including NSW Rego and CTP) for about $1600.... famous last words...

Some more pictures from today's trip:

Definitely a 20' paint job on the cab - looks OK from a distance, but get closer it's not great. Tyres need flares or smaller rims/offset and tyres. I suspect they're -44
IMG_0933.jpg

I think the front bar is going, either going gone, or going for a trim with the grinder. See if a mate wants it for his BJ40 though instead.
IMG_0934.jpg

Had a good look around underneath after taking it for a quick test run on the road (no rego, windscreen or back lights...) and didn't find anything too bad - the speedo cable out is split and that may be the cause of lack of operation. Runs really nicely though through the gears (I got it to 3rd) and plenty of torque and go in it.
IMG_0935.jpg

Put together a $700 shopping list so far... not too bad on my overall estimated budget

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
You must be loaded the amount of money you dont waste on vehicles! :lol:

Looks good, well done. :thumbup:

Definitely loose the bullbar, it looks very dated and agricultural. :shifty:

Looks good,glad to see another 45/47 was saved.
They are like a bug, once it bites it’s difficult to let go! oh almost forgot LOOOSSE the front bar !

So after a bit of disorganised chaos, we got back to where the ute was.

Got it loaded up onto a mate's trailer:
WP_20171029_14_15_58_Pro.jpg

We took some skinny tyres as I couldn't remember how wide it was.

Started to head back, but needed a comfort stop and a chance to check the straps:
WP_20171029_14_24_24_Pro.jpg

Yes, it is a GQ Patrol towing it... the friend with the Toyotas wasn't around this weekend.

Got it home, up the driveway (much to the interest of the neighbours - leaving the utes idling in the road was a bit of an attention grabber):

WP_20171029_17_19_09_Pro Blacked.jpg

And then the bar was removed!

Awesome find there Ed
How long before roadworthy and Rego do you reckon?

Target is a Ben-esque 3 weeks away.

Some parts are in stock in town already, some parts are 2 or 3 days away, so not too bad. There's a machinery show that it would be cool to get it to as we have some friends who'll have stuff on show there.

The biggest challenge is getting a slot for a blue slip - I was quoted about mid November by one place, but that's because I wasn't dealing with the person I normally do... who over heard but was with another customer.

Reactions: Ben
Looks great with the gate removed from the front! :thumbup:

You going to start a build thread? :shifty:

Looks great with the gate removed from the front! :thumbup:

You going to start a build thread? :shifty:

Quite probably just get Crispin to retitle this one and use this one as the build thread.

Knocked off work at lunchtime today, and came home via one of the local parts suppliers, and had a yarn with them about the parts I need - they suspect I'm going to have to go genuine - and then back via the workshop that'll do my blue slip for registration. The timeframe changed on that once I saw the lady I know there... all of sudden it's 10 days time, not 4 weeks time... so it's booked in for the 10th November!

Had a good look over the interior, and the floor does have patches (not up to Ben standards) and there's a few bolts missing, but the seat belts all work, and aren't frayed and everything is pretty good. Got a few bits that need to be tidied up in the ventilation system undoubtedly though.

Certainly is a looker Ed, but aren’t they all?

100% better without the gate, though!

Good luck with getting the parts fitted. Does that and will the “blue slip” include a front disc-brake conversion, or will it stay standard until you get some speed up, down the slippery slope?

Certainly is a looker Ed, but aren’t they all?

100% better without the gate, though!

Good luck with getting the parts fitted. Does that and will the “blue slip” include a front disc-brake conversion, or will it stay standard until you get some speed up, down the slippery slope?

Disc brake conversion is a costly affair - not only the parts, but also the engineers report/certificate for the work.

Blue slip is an enhanced RWC (MOT-esque test) that includes the checking of engine numbers, seatbelt labels etc.

Interim front bumper is going to be a 1700mm x 100mm x 50mm piece of Galvanised RHS. Not a thing of beauty, but will get it through.

Been working on the Cruiser again today; got the interior tidied up, and the seats bolted down a bit more (well, now with the correct number of bolts...)

Also fitted some new tyres to get them under the guards for the blue slip which were not things of elegance, 16 x 5.5 Nissan Patrol GU split rims with 16R7.50 tyres:
WP_20171102_17_43_26_Pro.jpg

For $200 for the 4, I'm not complaining too much - just need to find a 5th as a spare.

Before picture:
WP_20171103_16_07_15_Pro.jpg

And fitted up:
WP_20171103_18_05_22_Pro.jpg

Dog wasn't impressed with the diesel idle though, she's too used to the V6 petrol in the 4Runner!
WP_20171103_18_06_54_Pro.jpg

Tomorrow's challenge is to get the speedo cable changed... I can get the cluster out part way, but not enough to get to the speedo cable properly. Any tips, tricks or advice will be gratefully accepted!

Bit more done today...

Winning in parts. Now have a working speedo. Don't have a working odometer though... Have bailey channel for windows and window winders, but no locking drivers door.

Also removed the overspray from the windows and the lights with a green pan scourer and some glass cleaner.

WP_20171104_11_29_43_Pro.jpg

Took it for a couple of runs up and down the road, and we've cured most of the rattles now.

So close to being ready, its not fair!

Great truck ed.

Btw. You can edit the thread title yourself. Between the title and your first message there is a button 'thread tools' with edit title behind it.

Last edited:
Back