Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Back in an 80 ( for a while)

AndycruiserguyLomas

Supporter
Guru
Country Flag
england
Its a while since I ran an 80 ( this one) and with the imminent sale of the Collie V6 I thought I'd resurrect this old girl and run her a bit. Having been aware that there was corrosion in the usual places ( rear quarters and into the rear arches) I bit the bullet and had a bodyshop re construct what needed to be re constructed. Money well spent and a ton of time saved.
It was then stood another year and then I set to, replacing the bumpers and getting it into one piece. I then took it for test which it passes no advises. Then I took the front wings off as I was aware of the usual corrosion Issues behind the arches. F Forward got all the issues sorted metal let in, fully rustproofed. All day yesterday fitted wings bonnet scuttle panel front bumper etc so its 100% solid.
As it was taxed tested and insured (£260 AF) anyway I was on the road from today and found every excuse to go anywhere, round farms, to the bank, for my lunch driving around in a half decent 80.
There are another couple of small issues to sort but I'll do those whilst I'm driving it around.

IMG_1556.JPG

One of the small things which add to the driving pleasure is the re covered steering wheel I got off Mr KW. I am a fan of these as I fitted one to the black Collie and have one waiting to go on the 24V auto.

The pedal and stick arrangement is still a novelty and although its only been a day its not worn off yet.

Wonderful. 80s are nice, whichever way you look at them.
Even better if you got rid of those "boy-racer-wheel-arches" and put on some 7,5x16 tyres on 6.5 rims. That's the perfect 80. (Just rambling out of jealousy :) )

Nice one, Andy. I shall keep my eyes peeled even though I’m sure you will spot me first.

And I can vouch for the quality of that steering wheel. It is lovely.

cheers for the shout on the wheel andy.

truck looks good. always nice to jump into a different one every now and then. lookimg forward to get my black one back on the road if i can find someome to weld it up. im always struggling for time to do any of my own stuff :(

cheers for the shout on the wheel andy.

truck looks good. always nice to jump into a different one every now and then. lookimg forward to get my black one back on the road if i can find someome to weld it up. im always struggling for time to do any of my own stuff :(

No prob chap, I've only had 3 and been satisfied 3 times.. Lack of time, welcome to my world.

Well done Andy, enjoy a bit of retro in style :dance:

It’s looking good and she’s a lucky girl to be saved from the otherwise inevitable.

Have fun :thumbup:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Well done Andy, enjoy a bit of retro in style :dance:

It’s looking good and she’s a lucky girl to be saved from the otherwise inevitable.

Have fun :thumbup:

Thanks Clive, I am familiar with 80's though,buying my first one 21 years ago. Its funny how things have a habit of coming round. The guy I bought it off used the money to buy Jacobs 100 back in the day and has just bought another one.
There was never any chance of it ending up at the " otherwise inevitable" its too good an 80 not to be saved. Tbf it could have done a lot more miles before restoration was needed but I like them to be "just right".

Thanks Clive, I am familiar with 80's though,buying my first one 21 years ago. Its funny how things have a habit of coming round. The guy I bought it off used the money to buy Jacobs 100 back in the day and has just bought another one.
There was never any chance of it ending up at the " otherwise inevitable" its too good an 80 not to be saved. Tbf it could have done a lot more miles before restoration was needed but I like them to be "just right".

It’s hard to resist, the rear quadrants rotted out on mine and I hated to see it like that. Soon got it into my friendly body shop.

I asked him to just plate them flat with some drain holes in, but he wouldn’t have it.

He rebuilt them exactly as original...
11FF9413-5494-4681-9A40-BFB4142577D7.jpeg

This was 5 + years ago and there’s still no rust showing.

400 miles Jake, man you know how to live life and seek thrills. That said, the Cruiser did 69 miles between its last test and this one.

You beat me! Mine did 65 miles over the 18month mot test, I think my mate did around 30 of those:flushed:

Back