Back in Black.

AndycruiserguyLomas

Supporter
Guru
Country Flag
england
Well it all started when someone rang me and said " do you want to sell this"

175.jpg
my 98 Chevy Tahoe 6.5 TD RHD. I'd had it five years and used it for 5 winters having never got stuck, or never failed to start. It was fast, a real hooligans 4x4 with about 250hp and a ton of torque, comfortable and about as far from a Cruiser in character as one can get. One thing I did like was the "shift on the fly" facility.
However in the back of my mind I fancied a black Collie D4D VX although I'd never been in one so I let the Tahoe go and waited it out till the right one came along that was in budget which is what happened and I picked this one up for exactly what I got for the Tahoe.
So something new at Lomas Towers.

.IMG_0534_zpsjwnkn6zi.jpg

IMG_0537_zpsk5ezbten.jpg

IMG_0542_zpsgxlx1vhq.jpg
IMG_0540_zpsshx9eewo.jpg

Having travelled 200 miles to fetch it and taken it into central London on the way back to pick up some wheels and tyres I won on eBay the journey back was a delight, a new experience and my 1st 4 cyl Cruiser to boot. I found it quieter than an 80 diesel when cruising on the motorway and really quite comfortable.
It really does go well I've got to say, not quite as refined as the 120 I tried the other day but at 28% of the price I can live with that.
Minus points, the diff lock actuator is buggered, the air con doesn't work but it has a relatively new condenser and drier so thats a start. the rear wiper needs attention and the electric ariel is stuck up.
Plus points, bodily its in good shape, underneath too, chassis in good shape too, components have rust but nothing serious back axle is crusty but solid.Interior is tidy too, seats being better than expected but it has a lady driver for the last 6 years and it shows.
Anyway we'll see how it pans out.

Congratulations Andy, you can't go wrong with a 90! :icon-wink:

I was watching that one on eBay and thought it might make a good buy for someone. Glad it's gone to a good home.

I assume the wheels you're talking about are the 17 inch steel rims with GG AT2s? (The seller had a 150) - I was watching those too, though I wasn't really serious about them. Glad someone here got them though as they did seem like a good price.

P.S. I note you've swapped out the original tri-spoke alloys for nice black 80 ones........must be great minds and all that! :whistle:

Last edited:
Congratulations Andy, you can't go wrong with a 90! :icon-wink:

I was watching that one on eBay and thought it might make a good buy for someone. Glad it's gone to a good home.

Well Chad we'll give it a go, its not perfect but its a good base from where to start. Good home??? hmmmm

I assume the wheels you're talking about are the 17 inch steel rims with GG AT2s? (The seller had a 150) - I was watching those too, though I wasn't really serious about them. Glad someone here got them though as they did seem like a good price.

My thinking on these was they would fit on anything I've got except the 100 and even then the tyres will fit the wheels on it. At the price they were half new price with the wheels for free. It fitted logistically with me fetching the 90 too. The seller was well less than amused though but thats another story for another day.

P.S. I note you've swapped out the original tri-spoke alloys for nice black 80 ones........must be great minds and all that! :whistle:

Yes, the tyres (265/75/16 BFG AT's) were off the Tahoe just waiting for the day and the wheels were a spare set waiting too. They set it off a treat although gloss black might have suited better.

Very nice Andy , I expect to find driving Helen's 1kd a whole different experience once i get around to having a 3" exhaust fitted , all the manners but twice the grunt . Be interesting to see how your 95 compared to other cruisers following that upgrade if you were of a mind to do it .

Nice one Andy, hope you don't miss all those horses too much.

Sounds like the Tahoe owed you nothing...

What you gonna tow with now, one of the 80s I suppose?

Very nice Andy, a manual equivalent would tempt my to trade up to the d4d

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Very nice Andy, a manual equivalent would tempt my to trade up to the d4d

I dunno about that Mark,the "stick and pedal arrangement" is becoming a thing of the past. Anything with any size to it, ie 2.5l or above nowadays ( including trucks and busses) are usually automatic for a good reason, they are generally regarded as the better option.
JMO though.

Hi Andy
It does look well.
Still think the black wheels are dr*g dealer though lol

Please forgive my ignorance andy, but why are these big fat yank tanks any good in snow? Is it because they weight about 8 tons?

Lookin' good there Andy. Looks good with the 80 wheels but have to agree on the dealer look (well only a little). Looks quite a bit like a mini 80 from some angles and does look good in black (eh Shayne![emoji4]).

Interested on the point of yank tanks in the snow too.

I'm not sure really, the "Burb" is particularly good in deep snow, maybe its narrow tyres and weight, or maybe its leaf sprung rear axle help?? Maybe the IFS shape saves getting beached in the middle like 80's suffer from. It weighs about 3 tonnes and tows like a dream. To put it in perspective here, we are talking about a relatively cheap bit of kit here not a £50K item. I gave £5k 6 years ago for it and its now done about 88K.

DSC00494.jpg

Dis 130 miles in the snow that day never looked like getting stuck

I didn't even start the 80 up

DSC00497-1.jpg

"Maybe the IFS shape saves getting beached in the middle like 80's suffer from."

Tell me about...

Photo0014.jpg

Nice truck Andy, looks sweet in all black. I'm sure you'll find it a very pleasant drive. To be honest, considering they're supposed to be the light duty cruiser, they're tough as old boots. Big miles seem no problem. As for snow, I found the 95 to be very capable in every respect. Drifts up to the bumper fog lights and could I get it to stop!

Bagged a nice one there Andy, very straight and clean. Personally I like the black rims and window tints and think there is enough contrast with the light clusters on the rear and all the lighting up front. Happy motoring.

Back