Back to Warraweena

Jon Wildsmith

Super Moderator
Supporter
Guru
Garage
Country Flag
england
Posting for TonyS again while he's off having far too much fun :)

I am back, a few months after leaving my favourite part of the globe, I have come back to help friends with their horse trials, and grab a quick week at Warraweena.

This time it is to rescue Rosie, a Y60 Nissan patrol, petrol,1978, that has been stranded up one of the valleys here for the last 15 months. I have come with the guys from FNB 4wd, a great bunch of lads who have had to rebuild Betsy after a nightmare of a job from AMMS in Brisbane. (more about that another day!!!).

Rosie broke down and has been left alone in the harsh conditions of outback south Australia, so our mission was to bring her back to the Warraweena homestead. We knew the general direction, and started out at 8.30, after a windy night and cool start. Following the creek to the east, with water flowing from the huge storms of last week where over 8" fell, we continued along the valley bottom. Rocks, trees, and wash outs made the 10 km trip rather daunting, as team leader Chris, in the 80 series, followed by Betsy, my trusty 47, and then kev in a Nissan patrol ute, with lots of fruit, wound our way along as best we could.

Eagles soared overhead , as the temperature rose, but a cool breeze made it a perfect day.

My first incident with Betsy came when I sunk into a wash out, powered on as best I could but rammed the roo bar into a hidden rock, snapping bolts on either side holding her on that it pivoted forwards. Not ideal, but with Kev behind and a box of spare nuts and bolts we soon had her mended. My second incident came while driving confidently through a muddy section, which then led into a large long washout on the right hand side, so very tippy, and then cross axled over to the left, and consequently broke my left hand rear indicator as the back end landed in a hole! Hey ho, not too bad really as we were seriously pioneering this creek, and after 15 months of heavy rainfall, there was no track to follow.

After four hours and some very Tricky sections we sent Adam, my co driver ahead on foot, to at least try to find Rosie in case we had turned up a wrong creek somewhere, as the rocks were getting bigger and the creek getting tighter. With a yell and jump for joy, he came running back, she was found, safe and sound, and above the creek, so she hadn't been wrapped around a tree by the immense force of the raging creek.

Lunch time and Kev set about diagnosing the problem, and all we knew was she just stopped, and wouldn't go again. Within ten minutes, problem found, broken fuel pump, so new one fitted, but used a fresh jerry can of fuel strapped in the back, as the old fuel could've been dodgy, and she fired up and quietly purred away. So Adam jumped in and we returned to base, a steady trip, though Chris in the 80 getting bogged in the muddy section, :) , so a bit of winching needed, the rest of us just seemed to get by! Otherwise not too bad a return, and a bit quicker as well.

Evening, beers, and an awesome camp fire stew, had us all relaxed around the fire, going over the days events, and how tracks in Australia couldn't get much better than that!

Waking on Wednesday, wind blowing unbelievably all night, and getting breakfast finished, the boys got Rosie into proper working order, rewiring, and checking everything through. Then to help Stony, we offered to check the Mount Gill track for him, as no one had been that way since Becky and I were there in November, and with the rain since, creeks flooded, it was going to be another excellent day, reinstating the track. There wasn't anything too problematic, a few logs to move, occasional chainsaw needed, and filling washouts with rocks, to give a smoother way through, we got to the top. Pretty damn steep in places, and rough, but another exceptional trip. Kev had a sidewall puncture, bit of a bugga, but wouldn't be the first one done, nor will it be the last on those tracks.

So two fabulous days, and two tracks done, could it get any better than that? Potentially yes. The Dunbar track, 60km of the most incredible day I have ever had off roading. Scenery to die for, tracks to test, but not to punish, and with a group of lads who made it so incredible, it's hard to put into words. The track has various types of terrain, but with hidden valleys, gorges, and creeks, all green and full of wildlife, Roos bouncing around, obviously breeding well, it really is my favourite track, ever!

After passing the Blinman copper mine, it was getting towards lunch, and the Dunbar hut was the destination. Before then however, is "Suicide Hill", and holy s**t it is steep, long too, and quite loose with rock. Deep joy. So with Adam in the driving seat of Betsy, (he had been for a while, so I thought it best to stay out and take pictures!), I wandered down as the trucks slowly ticked over, descending to the valley floor, all making it look easy.

After lunch, and we headed up into Wariootna gorge, driving through the water gently flowing down the creek, sunshine beaming down, giving spectacular colour to the surrounding cliffs, and highlighting the fabulous gum trees, it really was an awesome drive. We also stopped to stretch our legs and walked upto a beautiful little waterhole, with water flowing over and cascading over the ancient rock. Total serenity, not a noise, nor breath of wind, one of those moments you want to take with you always.

We completed the rest of the track with relative ease, three days of driving creek beds, and avoiding rocks becomes easier as the days go by. We head back and get the fire going, for a pot roast, leg of lamb, superbly cooked by Kev, not only a great mechanic,and bush mechanic, but an excellent bush chef too!

So with a few refreshing beers, and a great Shiraz from Oddfellows winery, a simply great last night was had. We also were able to have a shower too, as stony lit the donkey, to give us some warm ish water at the shower block back near the homestead. Another Thing to mention, is Warraweena has the best long drops I have ever had the pleasure to use!!! They even have air fresheners!!

So Friday we headed home, a trip that I started as a customer to FNB4wd, and returned with a bunch of friends, who I will no doubt give grief to in the future, but it's great to know Betsy is in good hands, at last!

Gotta head to Melbourne now, hope you enjoyed my scribble.

BTW, if you like the sound of these kind of trips, Chris plans trips ahead, and is even thinking of hiring a fully equipped truck for overseas visitors, who want to join him in this fabulous country.

Cheers,

Tony and Betsy.

[attachment=12:grshwl47]photo01-Up the creek.JPG[/attachment:grshwl47]
[attachment=11:grshwl47]photo02-Rosie as we found her.JPG[/attachment:grshwl47]
[attachment=10:grshwl47]photo03-Awesome climb.JPG[/attachment:grshwl47]
[attachment=9:grshwl47]photo04-Stuck 80.JPG[/attachment:grshwl47]
[attachment=8:grshwl47]photo05-.JPG[/attachment:grshwl47]
[attachment=7:grshwl47]photo06-lifting a wheel.JPG[/attachment:grshwl47]
[attachment=6:grshwl47]photo07-Skippy in the background.JPG[/attachment:grshwl47]
[attachment=5:grshwl47]photo08-We came from over there.JPG[/attachment:grshwl47]
[attachment=4:grshwl47]photo09-we are going down there.JPG[/attachment:grshwl47]
[attachment=3:grshwl47]photo10-Suicide hill.JPG[/attachment:grshwl47]
[attachment=2:grshwl47]photo11-steep.JPG[/attachment:grshwl47]
[attachment=1:grshwl47]photo12-Top spot.JPG[/attachment:grshwl47]
[attachment=0:grshwl47]photo13-The three trucks.JPG[/attachment:grshwl47]

Attachments

• photo01-Up the creek.JPG
    photo01-Up the creek.JPG
    121 KB · Views: 409
  • photo02-Rosie as we found her.JPG
    photo02-Rosie as we found her.JPG
    169.4 KB · Views: 414
  • photo03-Awesome climb.JPG
    photo03-Awesome climb.JPG
    119.4 KB · Views: 408
  • photo04-Stuck 80.JPG
    photo04-Stuck 80.JPG
    172.4 KB · Views: 423
  • photo05-.JPG
    photo05-.JPG
    127.3 KB · Views: 427
  • photo06-lifting a wheel.JPG
    photo06-lifting a wheel.JPG
    119.8 KB · Views: 409
  • photo07-Skippy in the background.JPG
    photo07-Skippy in the background.JPG
    175.7 KB · Views: 407
  • photo08-We came from over there.JPG
    photo08-We came from over there.JPG
    142.2 KB · Views: 427
  • photo09-we are going down there.JPG
    photo09-we are going down there.JPG
    153.7 KB · Views: 404
  • photo10-Suicide hill.JPG
    photo10-Suicide hill.JPG
    175 KB · Views: 406
  • photo11-steep.JPG
    photo11-steep.JPG
    115.8 KB · Views: 406
  • photo12-Top spot.JPG
    photo12-Top spot.JPG
    180.1 KB · Views: 401
  • photo13-The three trucks.JPG
    photo13-The three trucks.JPG
    113.9 KB · Views: 419
Nice write up and some great pics! :thumbup: :clap: ......very, very envious! ;)

great write up and pics. :clap:

Thanks Jon for posting this. I was able to write it up and then makes life so much quicker when wifi is hard to come by.

On the last day I found I had, or at least a rock had taken off one of the U bolt nuts that hold the leaf springs on, so with one ordered as soon as we had phone reception, I got it fixed yesterday back at Mount Barker, FNBs HQ, plus a quick oil change and fix rear lights.

I have now just arrived in Broken Hill, and after a smooth seven hours from Adelaide, I am sat having a maccas cappachino, naughty but nice, and it gives me an excuse to get free wifi.
One strange thing on the way was a plague of locusts across the highway, it looked as though It was snowing, so had to close windows to stop an invasion in the cab, and ended up with a very splattered windscreen and grill!
On way to see friends on a station here, then down to Melbourne on Tuesday to help friends at another horse trial. It's quite a long detour, an extra 600km or so, but well worth it as beers and a Barbie await, so can't be long.

Cheers,

Tony.

Will send Jon a few more pics of Warraweena, but that is about it for this trip, not too much play, but excellent what I had.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Some more pics from Tony.

[attachment=5:239l6jiw]photo14-Gorge ous.JPG[/attachment:239l6jiw]
[attachment=4:239l6jiw]photo15-Suicide hill.JPG[/attachment:239l6jiw]
[attachment=3:239l6jiw]photo17-Nearly to the top of mt Gill.JPG[/attachment:239l6jiw]
[attachment=2:239l6jiw]photo18-Ouch, time to place rocks.JPG[/attachment:239l6jiw]
[attachment=1:239l6jiw]photo19-Natures flood barrier.JPG[/attachment:239l6jiw]
[attachment=0:239l6jiw]photo20-A little help needed.JPG[/attachment:239l6jiw]

Attachments

• photo14-Gorge ous.JPG
    photo14-Gorge ous.JPG
    168.8 KB · Views: 321
  • photo15-Suicide hill.JPG
    photo15-Suicide hill.JPG
    160.2 KB · Views: 326
  • photo17-Nearly to the top of mt Gill.JPG
    photo17-Nearly to the top of mt Gill.JPG
    118.1 KB · Views: 324
  • photo18-Ouch, time to place rocks.JPG
    photo18-Ouch, time to place rocks.JPG
    162.1 KB · Views: 330
  • photo19-Natures flood barrier.JPG
    photo19-Natures flood barrier.JPG
    121.4 KB · Views: 333
  • photo20-A little help needed.JPG
    photo20-A little help needed.JPG
    169.2 KB · Views: 328
Great Tony - lovely pics. It's the 'blue'-ness of the sky that always gets me so 'homesick' for Africa!

excellent write up, felt like i was there with you.
:thumbup:
love those old 45/47 trucks, looks nicely done.

Re: Re: Back to Warraweena

Gary Stockton said:
Great Tony - lovely pics. It's the 'blue'-ness of the sky that always gets me so 'homesick' for Africa!

Was thinking the same...

Nice trips Tony. :cool:

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

[attachment=4:2s4bb2e6]photo21-Bit of sheep work.JPG[/attachment:2s4bb2e6]
[attachment=3:2s4bb2e6]photo22-Working kelpies.JPG[/attachment:2s4bb2e6]
They use Doune rams from South Africa, generally better than Merinos, in many ways.
[attachment=2:2s4bb2e6]photo23-Doune.JPG[/attachment:2s4bb2e6]
[attachment=1:2s4bb2e6]photo24-Doune rams before dipping.JPG[/attachment:2s4bb2e6]
[attachment=0:2s4bb2e6]photo25-Ride home.JPG[/attachment:2s4bb2e6]

Attachments

• photo21-Bit of sheep work.JPG
    photo21-Bit of sheep work.JPG
    127.4 KB · Views: 179
  • photo22-Working kelpies.JPG
    photo22-Working kelpies.JPG
    128.6 KB · Views: 198
  • photo23-Doune.JPG
    photo23-Doune.JPG
    144.2 KB · Views: 190
  • photo24-Doune rams before dipping.JPG
    photo24-Doune rams before dipping.JPG
    138 KB · Views: 192
  • photo25-Ride home.JPG
    photo25-Ride home.JPG
    165.3 KB · Views: 217
Re: Re: Back to Warraweena

Crispin said:
[quote="Gary Stockton":2pxwtxjd]Great Tony - lovely pics. It's the 'blue'-ness of the sky that always gets me so 'homesick' for Africa!

Was thinking the same...

[/quote:2pxwtxjd]

me to, and I am not from there ...

Tony said:
They use Doune rams from South Africa, generally better than Merinos, in many ways.

So glad to see us Saffas get around, and being used for our obvious talents!!! :lol: :cool: :?

Had a good day today, helping out sort sheep to sell, and dip the rams. Then took 1800 out to the back paddock on bikes. Strange word paddock, as in the uk it's a small field, here this one is small at 20 square kilometres! Can someone work that to acres?

My quad was pretty mean too, 700cc, power steering, with all round bar work, and under body protection, with stonking great mud tyres.

Up and early off tomorrow to Ballarat, 800km away. Long day in the saddle I guess.

Hopefully Betsy will behave.

Cheers,

Tony.

Works out to 4,942.10763 acres (roughly :cool: )

or 2,000 hectares, in real money!

BTW, they had more rain here in the last three years than Lincomb!!

Not bad for the outback, greener here than home!!!

Back