Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Bank scam

Scott

Had a text from the bank this evening asking if I'd set up a £900 direct debit, if not to contact their fraud department with the following reference number. Now the number that sent the text is one that my bank has text me from on previous occasions (going back 2 years) to confirm changes to my account.

So as I hadn't set up the direct debit I called them to confirm the fraud. First issue was that after going through the automated procedure I was asked to put in the 3rd and 5th digits of my telephone banking code, I don't use this and therefore don't know it, the system went around in circles 4 or 5 times before putting me through to an advisor (they were probably stalling while they set themselves up for the scam).

They seemed quite knowledgable on my details and even text me confirmation of the DD stop process as it progressed, but part way through the process of clearing the direct debits (apparently there were 3) I smelt a rat. The lady put me on hold claiming to speak to the security team before coming back to me, she gave me reference numbers for the call and tried to explain why the system wasn't working quite right, but it didn't sound correct to me and I ended the call. I've had fraud on this account 3 times in the past 6 years, and this didn't seem like the correct process. I do try to be carful with my card, but the sods still manage to get you somehow, I even heard of the cash machines inside banks being found with scammer card readers on them!

So I started a new call to my bank using a fraud number I found on their website (as their old one that I had stored in my phone had been disconnected!). While I did this I logged onto my online banking to find a loan of £25,000 had been deposited in my account. I spoke to the genuine bank employee, she informed me that the previous dealings had been from a scammer, this was the 3rd time today someone had called with the same story! Fortunately I had twigged and terminated the call before they could drawer out any of the £25,000 loan that they had applied for in my name and had been deposited in my account.

Now my account is frozen, no online banking or telephone banking. New card on its way and the investigation team will be in touch in 24-48hrs. Inconvenient, but it could have been worse. This came after a busy day at work and an annoying drive home (as the first day back at school and therefore the first day everyone returns to work sounds like the perfect time to reduce an 8 lane arterial road to one lane each way! Who makes these decisions?).

So at least after all their hard work they didn't get a penny, serves the scumbags right. If your bank texts you on a number that they have used before, don't trust it, call them on one that you source yourself. Then you can enjoy your 20 mins on hold, just like me!

Jeez Louise, they are getting more sophisticated. I generally don't trust ANYTHING that comes to me like that. But some of it is very believable. Good warning to just stay sharp. Treat anything different with complete mistrust and if possible go into a branch and speak to them in person.

That'll be the next scam. Imposters in bloody branches.

I get quite a few emails from PayPal. I've has three in the last couple of days. Also had them from Barclays. Obvious fraud as you have to click the links to verify your account. Ive never done it and try to report it. I can see how easy it would be to do though.

If I get a call from anyone asking for me to verify anything I always tell them I will ring them back on the numbers I have for them. That way you know you are speaking to the genuine guys.

Glad you sorted it Scott in the end. Hassle you don't need though.

Yes always ignore and ring back on the numbers the bank themselves have given you. Use another phone as well as although there may be a dialling tone you may still be connected to them.

Wish you'd told me about imposters in branches yesterday Chris. I went in to town yesterday and a new HSBC had opened up. Thought it looked a bit DIY. Went in. They beat me up, robbed me, threw me on to the street and locked the door.

Of course there's also the hit on your credit report now so you will need this as evidence to get that cleared. And I'd make that the banks job too as they haven't secured their details correctly and allowed what should be a controlled number to be used fraudulently.

You need to go check your credit history now to see what else they've done to you...

Oh - and time to change banks if this the 3rd hit in 6 years - their controls are not good enough ...

I went in to town yesterday and a new HSBC had opened up. Thought it looked a bit DIY. Went in. They beat me up, robbed me, threw me on to the street and locked the door.

Sounds like a genuine branch to me Frank you didn't make the mistake of asking for some of your own money did you :icon-rolleyes:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Good one Shayne. ^^

Very lucky Scott. I'd be enquiring with the bank about these repeat issues too. 3 Strikes - Your out !!

Always worth setting up a local relationship with the bank folks, and staying clear of the telephone banking process - its the weakest link in the entire loop. internet banking is far more secure.

Yes always ignore and ring back on the numbers the bank themselves have given you. Use another phone as well as although there may be a dialling tone you may still be connected to them.

Wish you'd told me about imposters in branches yesterday Chris. I went in to town yesterday and a new HSBC had opened up. Thought it looked a bit DIY. Went in. They beat me up, robbed me, threw me on to the street and locked the door.

That's incredible Frank, how on earth did they think they would get away with that??

I presume you're pressing (bank) charges :shifty:

Not as uncommon as you'd think.

If you'be been a company director or registered a limited co, they can breeze into companies house and get your full name, address, date of birth, and a copy of your signature. A mile down the road in Family Records they can use this to find place of birth, mother's maiden name, spouse - and for a fiver, get a copy of your birth certificate.

That's enough to pass security with your bank, apply for a loan, sell your house... Think they don't know who you bank with...? They just call Lloyds, Barclays, HSBC etc saying 'can't remember my ac number but my name, address, postcode is... until they get a hit.

Simples!

So Scott, I'm afraid they're onto you and you need to change bank, not just account numbers. Either they bought your details from an insider or you have a company account with the same bank, and they found your sort code on Dunn & Bradstreet (another goldmine for fraudsters), or used the method above - in any case, you're on a list and most likely they'll keep coming back for another go.

We'll never stop the buggers, just have to make sure we're a bit more alert and secure than the next guy on the list!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

I've just thought of a new retirement plan....

Back