Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Barn find fun

Shooter1972

Country Flag
canada
Just picked myself up this amazing barn find, 1973 FJ40 complete. Minimal rust (all surface when present) and frame is solid and good. It was converted in the past to a 3b gen1 diesel, 5 speed manual with a PTO system. Going to need lots of advice but this will be my 3rd toyota rebuild on 4runners and hilux surf but first land cruiser. My first question is some paint is peeling and it is clearly galvanized below, is this typical?View attachment 168349View attachment 168350View attachment 168351View attachment 168352View attachment 168353View attachment 168354View attachment 168355View attachment 168356

Hello Shooter welcome to the club.A good , picture heavy first post , looks like an interesting project.As for it being galvanised I've no idea but don't worry i'm sure some 40 series owners will be along shortly .

Hi Shooter and welcome

Your 40 looks to be very straight with just a few areas to attack. As far as I know they didn't come from the factory with galvanised panels but I think you are refering to the tailgate and the second picture of that shows signs of a repair panel being welded on. That being so, those r/panels could well have been galvanised. The lower tailgate were prone to rot but the other areas that suffer, according to the photos, look good. And you have a lift up hatch that isn't a jigsaw of rusty pieces!

Where abouts in Canada are you? My son and family live in Alberta and we have enjoyed our trips over. Great country with plenty of 40s!

Feel free to ask away and you started so well because we love photos!

Regards,

Rodger

London Ontario Canada
20200920_131121.jpg
20200920_134838.jpg

Hi Shooter,

The panel fit on the front end of your 40 is quite remarkable: Bonnet to bulkhead, to valance, to wing panels. I don't think I have seen one that is that straight before restoration. Still loads of things to do but what a good basis.

Regards,

Rodger

Hi Shooter that is one cool looking cruiser love that look like the wheels welcome good look with it and have a lot of fun with it and keep the pics comeing from Tony.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Some air in tyres and a good wash off and then you are good to go bloody nice find and best of luck with the restoration

20200927_182322.jpg
20200927_182328.jpg
20200927_182343.jpg
20200927_182359.jpg

Found a used fiberglass tub cheap after finding that the body was rid of all rust prior to being stored but more bondo than I like (used to straighten entire side of tub). But starting the tear down yesterday and blasted all doors ro reveal no rust or repairs, yeah!

From the block number 11411-58010 - it is s 3B from a BJ60
Is the 0476246 the engine number? If so that could take a bit of time to establish production date etc

Regards,

Rodger

Reactions: uHu
[/QUOTE]
Yes, block number. From others posts on specs for there original units I'm thinking around 81-82 based on bracket times. But more to the question, what does the EDIC unit exactly do? I know it does the fuel cut off but what does the start relay do? Assuming over fuel but again the hoses running to the intake manifold throttle plate is again a completely new.

EDIC - Electronic Diesel Injection Control - is the motor that shuts off the engine. If the engine won't turn off or if it dies suddenly it will be the EDIC motor or the relay. But on starting it also monitors that sufficient oil pressure is present and if not won't allow the engine to start. The hoses to the inlet are all to do with injection control.
There are 3 positions -equi-distant from the centre 'drive' position. To the left (looking down on the motor) (rod side) is the overfuel position for starting and to right is the stop position. The rod ends wear and need adjustment and a little lubrication.

edic.jpg

The wiring diagram above is for a EDIC BJ40. I only have the settings for a 2H but for a B series engine it will be in the online factory workshop manual.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Rodger

Back