Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Baselining My 80 / Overland Build

Well, I guessed it would be my turn one day ...... knuckle arm studs, I found one of them snapped but held in by old grease and grit and the other wiggled around and then sheared off with no force. Fortunately the other six came out properly. If you haven’t already, go check yours. Torque is 71 ft lbs.
F30C5DE7-1020-47AA-AA5B-440D60A72A20.jpeg

When I do these, I clean the threads thoroughly with brake cleaner, acetone etc etc, then warm the castings overnight and set the new studs in with good thread lock. Never had one come out myself, but it does seem a common failure.

When I took the nuts of the the two that were still done up tight, I noticed that the studs were loose. Not so much as you could remove them by hand, but enough to conclude that they had rotated a little to become loose. I’m thinking it likely that the two broken ones became fatigued by this loosening and eventually fractured. So for me, yes, thread lock is the cure.

I started the CV rebuild the other day but it turned out the ball bearings were about 1mm too big for the races and cages and it was impossible to reassemble them. the RCV reseller explained the wear and bb issues to RCV themselves and after seeing photos, RCV decided to replace the whole lot with reassembled CVs completely FOC, no questions asked !!! I was stunned, particularly given their warranty only covers breakages, not wear. the situation was very weird, apparently standard axles from new, standard rebuild kit but nothing fitted ! Another good thing was the replacements have the grease nipple on the end, which is very useful.

finished the rebuild today with new spindles, bearings, studs etc and all’s good. Did the ACSD and gas filter that was cracked and the car runs loads smoother. I was really pleasantly surprised.

next up, transfer box leak, sump seal and black windows.

D19F52FB-7229-4CD2-9E5C-23E4B3F3B3F4.jpeg

Like a few others on here I felt the need to retrofit the OEM wheel carrier for the second spare I carry. I know some people say, it's too complicated or expensive and so not worth it but I prefer the system to the full on steel swing away bumpers. The OEM solution is much lighter. I managed to source all the parts from Mr Akbar on the FB forums for a very reasonable price.

F2A683DE-BCAD-41D5-8D40-6878539D6DD1.jpeg

So yesterday I started work on the lower hinge mount. First job was to expose the bolt holes to which this lower mount fixes to.

2B229429-8169-494A-9D6F-F88CA2F6E564.jpeg

The above photo shows the lower hinge reinforcement next to the hinge. This unbolts easily from the donor. The other bit is actually the reinforcement for the upper hinge which cannot be remove non-destructively as it is spot welded in. I don't have that bit. I robbed this photo off the internet as it was a good example.

83CBE2FD-EB99-4F67-82FA-75127E9422E0.jpeg

Next up was to figure out where to drill the third hole to mount the reinforcement bracket. Fortunately Toyota left the space for it on the rear wing closing panel by the tailgate.

32F1A7F1-ABC9-474B-B153-5891263F7AE6.jpeg

After offering it up and a bit of measuring i drilled a small 2mm hole to see how far off I was. It wasn't far and when I opened it out to full size the little hole went with it.

AA0DE5E4-1DA4-4687-B5B5-4539A8F32960.jpeg

This shows the bracket in place .....

778824F2-AF2F-4650-82D3-82FF19502F6F.jpeg

Next job was to work out where to drill the 3 holes in the bodywork through which the hinge bolts. I used a bit of gaffer tape on the bracket to mark out where the holes were. Before taking the tape off, I then marked a line on it and the bracket so that when I fitted the bracket I could see the line and align the same mark on the tape. The holes are roughly horizontal so by eye was enough to be close.

D239F53E-9B23-4F19-9C44-635B6FB78CD7.jpeg

Again I used a 2mm drill and drilled through the body to leave a mark on the bracket. Tacking the bracket out then showed how far I was off. so I opened the holes out a bit .....

E7C74269-0E10-43F9-A515-6FAACD581A03.jpeg

After refitting and opening the holes out a bit more, this was the end result, paint not yet applied ......

19421B31-9B61-494F-9A76-3DFC67687380.jpeg

The size of these holes is not important. Total time ..... 2hrs. Not really very complex.

These are the best tyre mounts for the rear. So well made. I did have a set of the inside mounts I made

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
This has been an excellent read all the way through. Lots of informative reference in here. Great pictures and synopsis of problems and issues. I will be using this thread in the future. I purchased my 1990 HDJ81 RHD, 1-HDT equipped Land Cruiser this past January. Lots of maintenance and projects coming up. Thanks again again for posting and cheers from Ohio in the USA.

Back