Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

basic question - gearbox oil fill

cjb80

Country Flag
australia
Hi

Very basic question, but I can't figure out which is the (manual) gearbox oil fill plug and which is drain plug... anyone able to post me a pic please?

TIA

Well without pics, the drain plug is at the bottom as you'd expect, but the fill plug is a little less obvious but is halfway up on the passenger side (of a RH drive 80) They're both thin flat 24mm heads.

I can only imagine the confusion is caused by the transfer box and gearbox which might appear as one big unit if you didn't know different so 4 plugs and two different oils .

1624383735273.png

Red one is the fill. It only takes a couple of litres. If the top one was the fill you'd need two gallons!

The green circled one is where you can fit a switch where it will indicate when 5th gear is in use. Towing in 5th isn't recommended just keep it in 4th when doing so as it's direct drive from the input shaft. 5th gear is a lot weaker. Same on the R series gearbox.

Thanks - I'd been looking at the green one !

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I find the oil takes time to drain through the centre vertical plate to reach the far side of the gearbox on filling. Best to make sure the whole lot is measured out before filling to make sure it all goes in without a false full appearance.

Just stand the oil container in warm water for a few minutes and the box will fill in no time.

This is annoying me now - but I gotta learn - so which is the drain plug? Pic below - or the plug on the drivers side (RHD) near to driveshaft?

I can't see anything underneath

Am I looking for another 24mm nut,or is it a different size?

Thanks

Attachments

• PXL_20210623_084743533~2.jpg
    PXL_20210623_084743533~2.jpg
    285.8 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
The drain plug is on the side of the gearbox next to where the front propshaft mounts the gearbox transfer case.

Arrow points to drain plug.
Fill plug is on the other side of the gear box.
20210623_140559.jpg

Back