Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Bath/shower mixer tap.

Ecky Thump

Garage
Hi all

I am after the above.
Our bath tap is, to put it bluntly, knackered.

Something semi half decent seems to be around £170ish. Anyone know where to try for a better price, or better still have you got one floating around in a shed?

I have seen ones at around £80 but that's the mistake I made last time :evil:

Hello ecky what type of hot water set up do you have i.e gravity hot water cylinder or combi as this will determine what type you need.

joe

It's just a standard gravity feed.
The mixer I have on now has worn out and the cold will not turn on so I just need to replace the mixer fitting.

That'll be the ones Joe

I bought cheap off e-bay last time and they have only lasted just over a year.
Bit loathe to try that route again.

May have to bite the bullet and get some good ones
Most of the expensive ones seem to have a four or five year guarantee and are ceramic disc instead of rubber washer, but how the hell do they justify £180 upwards :text-nocomment:

I'm no expert at plumbing but are you sure you can't just replace the broken part Les? Last time we had a tap failure I just got a new bit from B&Q much to my surprise as it wasn't just a washer but a whole valve assembly.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I'm just stunned that you have a bath Les. And inside the house at that. So where do you keep your coal then? :lol:

C

Jon Wildsmith said:
I'm no expert at plumbing but are you sure you can't just replace the broken part Les? Last time we had a tap failure I just got a new bit from B&Q much to my surprise as it wasn't just a washer but a whole valve assembly.

I must admit, I didn't know you could do that. I'm still inclined to replace if I can afford but I will look into that as another option. Cheers Jon.

Chris said:
I'm just stunned that you have a bath Les. And inside the house at that. So where do you keep your coal then? :lol:

C

Now then lad, they don't have no bl**dy pits down ere so where would I get me coal from I ask ya.
I found the bath down the community tip, bit of a struggle to get in with the plaster and concrete thats set in it but it works, sort of.
And I'll ave you know, we got one of them new fangled plastic boxes to live in. Far more solid and waterproof than the old cardboard box.
Proper goin up in the world we are :dance:

If yours are anything like ours then the shiney bits are just a cover for a common part. The handle will probably come off and then the top of the casing then the actual valve would be exposed. You could just shop for a quality valve then without having to undo any of the pipes or get the side of the bath off etc.

silvercruiser said:
you cant go wrong with pegler.

Joe

That's the sort of thing I'm after Joe. I'm perfectly capable fitting them myself but my dad (the plumber) passed away years ago so I have no-one to advise on makes etc.

Cheers

les,
Unscrew the cold tap assembly (take the head off first), its almost certainly the 'non rising spindle type,

There is normally a clip (like a circlip) on the spindle, take that off & tap the lot right through, unscrew the remaining 2 bits, clean them up & give a liberal coating of silicone grease, put it back together & job done.

Or bring it down to me & ill do it for you, 2 minute job, Ive got lots of different ones in my van / yard.

If you do buy a new part, make sure the splines that hold the handle on are the same

Andy

ps cant find the Hi lift mounting bits I mentioned when I collected my gavplate from you!

Andy

You can unscrew/turn on the tap for ever but it either works or doesn't. I suspect the brass thread inside is mullered.
I will have a trip over to B&Q to see if I can get a new inside like Jon sugested, and I'll keep an eye on the splines :thumbup:

The thing is, our Gert wants a new tap set so I don't think I'll get away with a repair. Just a little shocked at the price of the things.
Screwfix seem to have good prices on the ceramic type so I will probably go that route in the end thanks to Joe.

Don't fret about the Hi-Lift mounts Andy, Not the most important thing on my list. Thanks for looking anyway.

Back