Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

BATTARY CHUCKS/SPEWS OUT BUBBLES

kamalsrana

Garage
Country Flag
kenya
Hi,

My Battary has been producing a lot of bubbles which spew out through the plastic screws on the top.

This happened after I installed the Rear ARB Bumper.

Is this caused by a short circuit or is my battary (Only 1 year old) on its way out?

I also suspect that someone might have over filled the battary with ionised water, but checked level and its near the plates, so does not look overfilled.

kamalsrana said:
Hi,

My Battary has been producing a lot of bubbles which spew out through the plastic screws on the top.

This happened after I installed the Rear ARB Bumper.

Is this caused by a short circuit or is my battary (Only 1 year old) on its way out?

I also suspect that someone might have over filled the battary with ionised water, but checked level and its near the plates, so does not look overfilled.

What is the voltage across the battery when the engine is running ?

I will take a look today and check, how much should it be?

Mate,

The voltage shows at about 14.4 volts on a hand held meter.

In the vehicle, it shows halfway between 0 and 18volts, so do you think this is OK, or is it overcharging?

14.4 volts is fine. What happens to the volts when you rev it? Does it peak higher or stay about the same. What volts are you reading when the engine is not running? (test this about half an hour after running the engine to let the battery settle) Do the volts drop?

kamalsrana said:
Mate,

The voltage shows at about 14.4 volts on a hand held meter.

In the vehicle, it shows halfway between 0 and 18volts, so do you think this is OK, or is it overcharging?

As ecoman says, what is it if you rev the engine slightly ?

if you get 14.4 and no more that should be fine, but if it goes up the there is a problem !

But just going back to what you said at first, you fitted something on the car ? (not that would cause a problem in its self) but did you have the radio on ( for music) and the doors open ( the interior light on) then poss the battery might have been a bit low and it got a fairly high charge and poss this is where you got it to bubble.

Just keep your eye on it

Just picked up on the title ! Bubbles ! you have not got some washing up liquid in the battery !!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi,

The bubbles have actually been running down one side of the battary and has seriously stripped the paint and has white streaks all over.

So before I do any more testing, I am removing the battary and will clean with ho boiling water the damaged area and Hammerite it.

Once this is sorted then I will test further, these bubbles contain Acid, Beaware, if anyone has similar bubbles, sort problem immediately, or the acid will rot through the vehicle.

Cheers

Mix bicarb of soda in warm water. Strong mix, pour it over everything. Rinse with fresh water. It'll neutralise the acid and stop the paint being ruined more.

Thanks for that mate, worked a treat.

Have now Hammerited the whole area, hopefully rust etc will stop there.

Hi,

I have just started the veh today, when the car is on idle speed, the volts were 13.8Volts, when I revved it, it remained the same.

Therefore, it seems the regulator is fine.

Why does the Battary still bubble? What could it be?

I paid £65 quid for a new battary just about a year ago, would this be a Nuf piece?

I would like to know before I fork out another £65 quid for another one.

Cheers

Back