Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

BEB done

LC80tim

Country Flag
england
Well having read about this problem on the forum and a heads up by members on here I did the BEB's today and going by the state of the shells I was glad I did it sooner rather than later.
Big thanks for the heads up, here is what I found.

cyl 1 at top

20161109_153309_zpsvrcsibdl.jpg

20161109_153317_zpsqkgkkwh7.jpg

20161109_153314_zps8b8mwve2.jpg

Last edited:
Wow that's pretty bad. what was the millage please?

They are quite bad.
Most that I've seen have started to come away on a few of them. Most of yours have started. This is why they need replacing. Time bomb ready to pop.

Did you put Acl back in Tim?

Wow that's pretty bad. what was the millage please?

Milage was 189k and had 2 previous owners, was told they changed the oil every 3k apart from that I don't know any more about history of vehicle, should be good for 100k again now :)

Looks familiar, the shells on my green one were like that.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Karl do you still sell the ACL ones?

Any idea how much the new bolts are?

I replaced mine about 5 years ago (no wear on them at all grr!) but I fancy ACL for peace of mind.

They are quite bad.
Most that I've seen have started to come away on a few of them. Most of yours have started. This is why they need replacing. Time bomb ready to pop.

Did you put Acl back in Tim?

No didnt put acl in, read about them but struggled to find some in time scale I had ( going away in the lake's this weekend ) put ' taiho ' Japanese in from milners, I'll give them 20k and pull them to check ( got paranoid thing about them now I've seen what happens lol )

Karl do you still sell the ACL ones?

Any idea how much the new bolts are?

I replaced mine about 5 years ago (no wear on them at all grr!) but I fancy ACL for peace of mind.

New bolts cost me £82 from Toyota I that helps, got a discount should of been £86 5% discount wow

Thats not as bad a price as I thought, mine are the Milner ones as well and I am a little paranoid about them, although they have been in for five years. I suspect mine had already been changed, I checked the bolts to be in tolerance and they were but I will be renewing on the next change because that will be at least their 3rd outing.

Not sure if you know Tim, there is a contact from Steven Eagell Toyota (Simon) he is a good guy, nothing seems to be too much trouble and tends to give members of this forum as much discount as he can and posts quickly - his details are:

Simon Holton
Parts Manager
Steven Eagell Toyota (Northampton)
Ferris Row
Riverside Business Park
Northampton
NN3 9HX

t:01604 788303
d:01604 788308
f:01604 788302
e:[email protected]

Also, Karl Webster on here breaks 80/100 cruisers but often dabbles in new parts.

Nice post Tim, another pat on the back for the members here, they do give good advice.

I changed the BEBs in my HZJ, but apart from a few scratches, there was no delamination issues, like yours had.

It's all about peace of mind IMO, and it's not such a big job.

No didnt put acl in, read about them but struggled to find some in time scale I had ( going away in the lake's this weekend ) put ' taiho ' Japanese in from milners, I'll give them 20k and pull them to check ( got paranoid thing about them now I've seen what happens lol )

I've got Acl on the shelf. I'm sure I always have a set on Ebay.

There's been quite a bit written about his subject, much of it rather dubious in my view, but the general story seems to be that the metal in the bearings was specified for Japanese oils which were higher in one ingredient than EU oils. As we learned in basic science at school, material will migrate from high concentration to low concentration to try to reach a balance. Now, it's interesting that some of the the worst bearings I have seen coincide with stories of people changing their oil more regulalry. If you think about it, the bearing metal is trying to equalise the oil (OK just go with that) and of course every time you change the oil and put fresh in, you start that all over again. We're not talking large quantities here. If you left the oil in for at least the 6k it's intended to do the leaching of the metal elements is less. I guess that the worse you treat the oil the better the bearings will be in terms of erosion. OK the lubrication might be poor, but the bearings will be great! The replacement bearings should all have the correct metal (magnesium v calcium or something) so that EU oils will be neutral. So, what you don't want to do is buy oil especially from Japan if you've just put ACLs in.

I've got Acl on the shelf. I'm sure I always have a set on Ebay.
I know for future, kind of given up using eBay for bits for the cruiser as not much on there lol, used it loads for landrover bits :)

I've seen 2 fairly fresh imports from Japan (back in the day when it was popular) with bad big end shells. So that blew the jap oil theory for me. Not to mention some UK cars with near perfect bearings that definately havent been run on japanese oil.

Well that goes to show there's no rhyme nor reason to it. But if you have a 12v and it's not had the BEBs done then get them done or more fool you.

I've heard it low low silicone content in some of the shells from new.

Same again though, could just be hear say.

The "Japanese oil" theory is BS IMO. Why would Toyota fit bearings that required a 'Japanese spec" oil in a vehicle that was sold world wide? Even if you believe that Japan specific oils exist it's just inconceivable. Far more likely to be/have been a bearing manufacture issue.

Back