Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Been offered a 120 today!

Iwan

Country Flag
wales
So as the title I took my 81 for a mot and it went straight through Happy days!

The owner of the garage said He had something to offer me and it is a gray 120, it's had a good welding job done on the rear body mounts and doesn't have the complicated suspension system, He said that He hadn't seen it for 6 months but it's on the way over to Him, so I gave my card.

So if this raises to the surface, what would be the main pin points to look out for? Being a novice to this series.

I'm hoping that it's a lc4 which I think I've read is the better one?

Main thing is rust obviously - sounds like some welding has been done! Maybe if its in the garage they can get it up on the ramps for a good look?

Early models can suffer with injector seat leaks, I think most have been fixed by now. Injectors might need replacing depending on the mileage.

LC3/4/5 all good. LC3 has a rear diff lock; LC4/5 have traction control instead. LC5 has air suspension which most people seem to change sooner or later....

LC3/4 have the advantage that the radio is double DIN (well, almost, kinda) so its easier to upgrade if you want to modernise it a bit with DAB, satnav etc.

I've got an LC4 but would have any that wasnt rusty :) Good cars, comfortable on the road and fairly capable off it.

I think Higgy's looking for one now after flogging his 80, he loves them.

Thanks for the reply Karl.. I'm looking forward in seeing this when it surfaces. A good opportunity to have a good look when on the ramp..

I recall now the garage owner said that it needs welding on the inner sills and the abs motor needs changing but not the whole unit. Which He said would source and repair.

Lc4 sounds like the one to get.. but will have to see how this one pans out.. :thumbup:

The D4D can be noisy on cold start, and usually caused by worn injectors. These typically need replacing around 120k miles. If you do this with refurb injectors and yourself it's about £800. The SCV valve is also know to be problematic, about £130k for a new one.

Generally good vehicles all round, but rust is the biggest challenge. Youngest ones are about 15years old now

My lc5 had the rust issue but not as bad as first expected.
Replaced all my air suspension to springs and shocks as when you get a price to replace you will see why I changed
I decided to do my egr clean last year and surprised it was already clean.
My timing belt replacement was 187000 and currently on 224000 and still going strong.
I have never had any issues with the lc5 engine just common issues.
My stereo up grade made a massive difference to my interior look as fitted a Tesla system.
I would gladly go and buy a newer model as the face change I think was 2011 and mega bucks to buy.
So yes as other members say you can't go wrong with a land cruiser.
Hope you get the lc4 and if so welcome to the land cruiser club.
You probably won't be on here much as very reliable motors.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Sure can. Thanks for reminding me, Karl. haha
Mines grey too Iwan, hope that's not an omen !
I personally chose the lc3 because I wanted cloth not leather interior, I wanted spare on rear door, and I wanted the diff lock, others requirements will vary.
My 2006 lc3 cills were showing no signs of rot, and were firm on steps entry/exit until the day I nudged a post with n/s step. Areas around 2 of the brackets on inner cill cracked, 1 seriously, and the metal was rusty and brittle under the underseal. A trip to my local body shop/classic car repairer, who I know and have used before, resulted after investigation, in new inner and outer cills both sides, the outers both sides included the bottom part of central door pillar.
Fortunately NOT extending to floor or wheel arches both ends/both sides.
There was no tell tale bubbling, cracking or rot noted previously.
They made the inner cills and bought gen Toyota outers, which included lower part of central pillar.
Nigel kept me full informed at all times with loads of pics and updates, as the price kept going up, the more they found. All areas worked on were treated, inner cavities etc.
He also gave the rest of the underside the once over before starting work, which has been completely prepped and treated by me since.
Result, my pocket £3 grand lighter, but what an excellent job/paint, all of which easily matched/exceeded oem work.
So, apart from general inspection, investigate very carefully around these areas, and make sure it's not another Scottish export. That doesn't help with corrosion issues.

Thanks man! There's very good info there! I was thinking of avoiding it if its from the North, has a filthy interior, dented bodywork and if it has worn lower wishbone bushes.

With it previously having welding done, and a much lower price for it, just needs a good look over before committing.

If it's orange on the underside it's going to be a hard task for it to recover from that state! I'll add some interesting pics of it all the same if I buy it..

Sounds like it's had a hard life and not looked after Iwan, may have been a general run around farm vehicle.
I know you like a challenge and know your way around cruisers, good luck !

I'm hoping its so battered but cheap you don't mind cutting body work to fit wheels big enough to make it look like a 4x4 :lol:

Back