Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Before i pull the hub apart ...............

Shayne

Guru
ABS ring is covered in grease , my fault i used too much while resetting the bearing last time :doh:but i can't quite picture how deep i have to go to wipe the ring clean ?

Not sure how much time i have today so does the shaft have to come out or will i get to it by just removing the wheel bearing again ?

I could probably clean it from the sensor hole with patience a screwdriver and brake cleaner spray , but i'm not sure what the spray will do to the grease i need in there and besides to much is to much so it will only find its way back onto the ring .

Live and learn :|

That's what mine does.... when the lights not on. After two new sensors for the same wheel and the light still on (it went off when sensors were replaced) my abs light went out in Romania on gas gas day going over the bumpy stuff, and came on and off after that depending on the road surface. Figured it's a loose connection or broken wire somewhere now.

I pulled the fuse end of of problem but its not a fix and i went out to give the wheel a wiggle as i had a niggling doubt i failed in my first attempt to set the bearing snug and tight and a wobbly wheel was activating abs .

However M.O.T time that fuse needs to be in and with 4 new disks and calipers i expect abs to work fine (its only good when you never hear it) so yeah i'm looking to fix something i don't even want :confusion-shrug:

Yes, I drive round happily with my light on! But as you say, mot time

Oh well i ended up playing Florence Nightingale instead but when the ambulance took away that problem i sacrificed my toothbrush to get as much grease out as i could and brake cleaner which sprays powerful enough to reveal a remarkably clean ring under the grease , so we will see ..................... once i've had coffee and thawed out a bit .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
what you done to supergran?

Who what eh just coz she bent her key nah shes just resting under the patio :shifty:

Probably the best place for her to be fair :)

A short run this morning suggests cleaning grease off the ring and sensor did the trick .

I don't think grease would cause an ABS fault. I packed my hubs with 1 litre each side and no ABS problems. Swarf in the grease would cause a problem.

Sensor is magnetic and when the ring is spinning at 70mph i'm sure any swarf would find its way onto the magnet sooner or later .

Perhaps we should think of it in opposite terms - the grease weakens the magnet ?

That's true, I had swarf on the magnets. I had thought my ABS had improved after the hub rebuilds but That could have just been my imagination as there was nothing badly wrong before. I would think if you had clean magnets the fault would lie elsewhere. Perhaps check the rears as well. Never seen my rears.

Nothing but grease on my magnets and since cleaning grease off both ring and sensor no evidence of an abs problem but not enough miles covered as yet so the jury is still out .

Got some travelling to do this weekend so Sunday/Monday i will update with my evidence based verdict .

I had this issue but if you consider that the grease filling/inspection port on the hub itself would tend to deposit grease on the abs ring then it's unlikely to be a significant factor. If you run the resistance test on the sensor with the truck jacked up and play with the shims, then you may get a result. You can always try remagnetising the sensor with a heavy duty magnet.

Nah i just put the abs fuse back in and drive it , no dash light and it stops well means problem solved as far as i'm concerned . Of course the fuse may get removed again over the weekend so time will tell .

Back