Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Before i spend 250 quid

Shayne

Guru
Refurbishing my intercooler can anyone find me a new genuine Toyota intercooler for a Surf kzn185 .

The vehicle i have been using for my own searches is a 1998 truck reg CAZ8712 .

Somebody on an Oz forum looking for intercooler cover clips gives me -

kzn185w-gapxt , Frame No is KZN185-0003850 . SSRX

and he was advised by some helpful chap that there is no intercooler in the parts catalogue so it must be a retro fit .

The 1kz Surf , Hilux and Prado all got coolers but not officially it seems :wtf:

Have you tried amayama Shayne? By the way, that's a lot to refurb a intercooler, what exactly do they do? Re-fin them?

No luck on amayama or partsouq , i would be grateful if someone with an intercooled prado 90 could pm me with a frame number so i could try that in the above sites because i think its the same part .

250 gets it re-cored , they basically cut the ends (tanks he called them) off and weld a new centre in .

Have you tried our friends at allysport for a quote?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I just had a look at Alli Julian and the larger core they use is what i have been offered :think: that's kind of a plus for the 250 , i want to keep my toyota "tanks" because it allows me to fit the sensors direct to the intercooler and i remember being very pleased when i moved the wiring up .

Thanks Mark i went around in circles looking for that and you have pretty much convinced me my 250 will be well spent :)

Refurbishing my intercooler can anyone find me a new genuine Toyota intercooler for a Surf kzn185 .

The vehicle i have been using for my own searches is a 1998 truck reg CAZ8712 .

You got a part number ??

It's the cooler in Mark's first post hopeless wanderer , do you have any ideas because i was just about to bite the bullet on 250 ?

Why don't you get a quote from arrow radiators shayne.

They are in Avonmouth but they may have a collect closer to you.

250 is a lot of money for a recore.

What the issue with it does it leak?

Just age Stu when it arrived from ebay about 3 years ago it wasn't in great condition and its just deteriorated since . No leaks as yet but its a case of when rather than if . It's an old school family business i'm using and he reckons the new core will be more efficient than Toyota's own and as Allisport use the same it helps to take his word for it .

It's not worth splitting hairs over 50 quid even if its a 2 hour drive to Swansea and back .

intercooler 001.JPG

intercooler 002.JPG

I used t9 get truck rads done for less then you have been quoted so it does seem a tad high.

It's the size that's the sticking point he didn't seem he happy about the price himself and returned to the computer several times as we discussed the different vehicles it might have come from and ultimately he decided he will have to order a core of that depth made which he hopes will be delivered in 3 to 4 days so he can start work .

Money's down now anyway so lets hope it comes back looking bling :pray:

Shayne, if it was in better condition when you got it then what deteriorated it like this? Have you got any mesh on the inside of your scoop to stop big flies/possible stones passing through and damaging those fins?

It has a plastic grid over the top Beau but i will be adding some stainless gauze when it goes back on .

Pic stolen from google but i think its mine anyway

scoop3001_zps2f4f8edc-jpg.82325.jpg

As for what's killing it i would say water , my old a/c condensor was the same aluminium just corrodes and goes brittle with age .

Yeah a finer mesh would probably help. When you're doing good speed bugs can certainly cause some damage to the fins over time.

With regards to corrosion, have you thought about painting the new one then? Should make it last even longer. I don't believe it will effect cooling properties. If anything, I've seen/read how on front mounted intercooler a black painted cooler has led to lower inlet temps vs without. Don't know if this is due to the sun or what...

I will speak to the guy doing the repairs about it , I would guess they are dipped in some sort of sealer because this one has lasted 20 odd years without paint which is no mean feat .

My Shogun one was painted matt black Shayne. Acid etch primer then matt black should help I would have thought.

Back