Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Best 4x4 not actually going very far..

..... Just watched this, Its quite long but it does prove skinny tyres is the way forward, Christ they put those Landy's through Hell.... Dont think the new Defender would even make the start line

the early years look awesome.

the latter years go the way of society itself..

Thanks for the trophy Video! A nice watch!

The new LR had no choice without the right tyre for winter conditions..

the early years look awesome.

the latter years go the way of society itself..
Yeh! Sadly only became appealing To People who wash regularly and eat Muesli...... The G4 Thingy was the same, All Compasses and Bran flakes!

A good book is the story of the first crossing of the Simpson desert by the Leyland brothers in a couple of old series Landrovers ...one towing a trailer ...
The writing was on the wall even then for Landrover ... all the oil exploration company's were using Landcruiser's because they didn't break diffs etc .
Proper adventure though.....
Agree with the sentiments re latter G4 and the ilk .... as a human race we are now in a reverse form of evolution ...;-)

P1080660.JPG

It`s always easy to tell about the good old times. Are they really that nice? Is everything newer that bad?

I`m not shure, if I had enjoyed my 110`000km / 68`000 Miles trip through africa, south america that much in one of these old camel trophy cars.

No aircon means open Windows, means a higher chance of getting sick with malaria / dengue and so on. Are you really in that shape, that you are able to cross the sahara by 48 degrees celsius? I guess I am, but hell - i was happy to have a 4zone Aircon who is able to give constantly a temperature at 22 Celisus. Was very very happy to get into the car after digging in the sand!

Compared to a FJ Cruiser in Dubai, where we did play in the dunes with a standard Single Aircon who just was able to set the temperature inside to 35 Celsius at maximum Settings - guess how happy I was to be able to get out after 3-4 hours of drving....

How often has the electric helpers did save my ass on my journey - when I was not aware to enable my triple lockers in front of a easy looking passage?

Are jou able to remember back to holidays at 1980, 4 persons and a dog for a 1000 kilometer trip? Possible - but hell afterwards you was mostly completely done for a while. With my Land Cruiser I am able to do two 1000km spints in 2 days to reach a point - getting out relaxed, rested / refreshed.

What is the comfort difference? An excellent noise cancellation (Mercedes S-Class like), constant temperatures, nice ride, comfortable seats.

Which car would you choose? Again, not theoretically. Which car would you choose for the Silkroad, an 1 year journey with hot desert till frosty snow environment?

All of thosse who says this roads are well known, there is no adventures anymore. True for the usual tracks on a Panamaricana or Transafrica because the road quality gets better any year. But it is up 2 you. You dont had to use the "good" roads with tarmac. You can choose the amount of adventure you need.

DSC02229.jpg

Dont cry about old times who have passed. You can buy one of these old cars, you can do that challange anytime. You can just cry, because you dont do it.

But ok, i forgot that many here did choose another adventure than overland journeys - kids, family, a house - what maybe is the bigger challenge at the end.

Surfy

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I often drive 75 year old WW2 military vehicles and also modern ones .... I know which I prefer to be in when things get noisy....
However I think those commenting are not lamenting modern vehicles more the tendency for the modern expedition to be very risk averse to the detriment of both the event and to the experience of those taking part....
I know modern parents would be horrified at what we got up to as kids on the farm....both with the knowledge of our Parents and also without it ;-)

Last edited:
However I think those commenting are not lamenting modern vehicles more the tendency for the modern expedition to be very risk averse to the detriment of both the event and to the experience of those taking part....

Not many events are well known today. But they still exists locally, far away of internalional media attentiion: One example:

Today events need more than the past. Here you have to bring your vehicle, to risk your own vehicle, you had to pay the bill at the end....

Guess even more adventure when you had to pay the bill at the end and not a car company offers vehicle, spare parts and transport.

In my eyes: for an real adventure, you have to start at your own. No help out of the event, help of other drivers nearby.

Surfy

"Today events need more than the past. Here you have to bring your vehicle, to risk your own vehicle, you had to pay the bill at the end....

Guess even more adventure when you had to pay the bill at the end and not a car company offers vehicle, spare parts and transport. "

Sounds like my entire Motocross and Rallying career ;-)
I don't dare think about how much money I spent.... and how little we had to show for it....
Although what price can you put on fun , laughs , experiences that will never be repeated and life long friends .... a good friends wife got him a picture for Christmas
Guy on Kawasaki 2 Stroke triple on the limit going round a corner... the quote reads "Happiness isn't around the corner.... it is the corner" not a bad moto I feel to live by .

Back