Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Best 80 series I've seen in a long time.

AndycruiserguyLomas

Supporter
Guru
Country Flag
england
This looks like the ultimate spec 80.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-la...972773?hash=item1c7de0dc65:g:bKYAAOSwCU1YsSgO

It looks very UK spec, tailgate fog lights, diff locks (although could be "Snow edition), leather, factory third row, although the winch bumper and wind deflectors are very JDM.
If I was after my first 80 I'd be down there even at the money you may well be hard pressed to find a better spec one especially as its an auto. Theres every chance it will have the non EGR inlet system which will keep the inlet tracts from clogging up.
Hope this helps someone.:thumbup:

Worth every penny if its as stated.

Wrong colour combination and auto box to be a UK vehicle, probably JDM with FF options like the leather int. Looks and reads like a good one though. 80 series prices very so much. I guess it all depends how bad you want one. Be interesting to see if he gets his price. For me, £11k> is V8 100 series money.

Wrong colour combination and auto box to be a UK vehicle, probably JDM with FF options like the leather int. Looks and reads like a good one though. 80 series prices very so much. I guess it all depends how bad you want one. Be interesting to see if he gets his price. For me, £11k> is V8 100 series money.
Good looking truck. 24v on auto a great combination in my opinion. Similar to mine but no winch bumper or rack on mine. Not pennies admitedly but good ones now getting rare. Nice to see values going up.

Could be a very good option to build a great vehicle on. He's pretty adamant that it's a UK 24v auto diesel. I'd like to know how that's possible, Clearly he knows that people WILL say it can't be.

It really is a strange one, if its a UK Amazon it should have a dash airbag, if its a JDM Amazon the side mouldings should be wider. I wonder if the speedo is a 120MPH one as they are usually still 180KM speedos converted to read in MPH so still read 180.
I know what you mean about its comparative value to a 100 series which is a better vehicle in every respect (except the SFA and antiquated PS box set up if thats your bag), £11K wont buy you the best but its a better place to be when you are in motion whether its diesel or petrol.
I wouldn't swap it for my "Hundie" but if its an 80 you must have its the "doo dahs"in my opinion.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Could be a very good option to build a great vehicle on. He's pretty adamant that it's a UK 24v auto diesel. I'd like to know how that's possible, Clearly he knows that people WILL say it can't be.

Have you spoken to the guy Chris? I can't see anywhere it saying its a UK truck and the lack of vehicle details as usually stated is the only thing which would worry me as I see it as being "economical" with the truth.

It really is a strange one, if its a UK Amazon it should have a dash airbag, if its a JDM Amazon the side mouldings should be wider. I wonder if the speedo is a 120MPH one as they are usually still 180KM speedos converted to read in MPH so still read 180.
I know what you mean about its comparative value to a 100 series which is a better vehicle in every respect (except the SFA and antiquated PS box set up if thats your bag), £11K wont buy you the best but its a better place to be when you are in motion whether its diesel or petrol.
I wouldn't swap it for my "Hundie" but if its an 80 you must have its the "doo dahs"in my opinion.
That 80 will be around long after all the 100s have turned to a pile of rust..

Looks like a UK spec to me. Sounds like a great example worth viewing if ones seriously looking for 80 series.
Pricewise a little high could probably get it for £9000 I'm sure.
P.s the guy says it's his car being sold.

Looks like it's had EGR at some point but has been removed and blanked off as many do. This and the full leather and 3 difflocks were UK spec. The lack of airbag, the badging and auto box are different to all the 80's of that year I've ever seen. . The roof rack and alloys could have been added to a vehicle of any spec of course. The OEM chrome roof bars could also have been removed to fit the rack. If you want an 80 bad enough and it's a good one then does it really matter where it's from?

As far as values go, diesel vehicles seem to be in the cross hairs of the ECO brigade and most authorities round the country with calls for restrictions on use, fuel and tax hikes etc aimed at getting them off the road. If all this comes to be then we may well see a reversal of LC values with petrols being the one's to have!?

Last edited:
It kinda says it's a UK vehicle in big letters at the start of the advert.

"UK model (NOT an import) and please don't message me to say they only did 24v in manual all 24v autos were imports as this is NOT"

Maybe someone with very deep pockets back then pestered Toyota to get them one. Might have been imported new to a dealer so only ever registered here. Hence it being a UK car. I'd like to know its history.

TP is right about it not mattering where it's from. It's a very good condition 24v auto. With lockers.

Doesn't have the later 24v airbox lid, nor does it have the TURBO decals.

It kinda says it's a UK vehicle in big letters at the start of the advert.

"UK model (NOT an import) and please don't message me to say they only did 24v in manual all 24v autos were imports as this is NOT"

Maybe someone with very deep pockets back then pestered Toyota to get them one. Might have been imported new to a dealer so only ever registered here. Hence it being a UK car. I'd like to know its history.

TP is right about it not mattering where it's from. It's a very good condition 24v auto. With lockers.

Doesn't have the later 24v airbox lid, nor does it have the TURBO decals.

Yep Chris, hands up I missed that bit, and I guess he added the engine pics after I'd seen the ad last night,
Well it goes to show, there is the ultimate 80 UK spec. I think the twotone paint was an option about that time and it looks like its condition is very good.
Still, if I'd known in 97 I could have got that instead of the 95 auto I did get then thats what I'd have done.

The mot history check says first used 31/12/97, and the history goes back to 2006 when it started to be recorded on computer. So it appears genuine.

Certainly a genuine mystery. If I was in the market for another 80 I'd be very interested. But I'm not.

That 80 will be around long after all the 100s have turned to a pile of rust..

I wouldn't think so CG.
Having been to view this fine truck today with an intent all the Q's can be answered to its provenance.

Yes its a UK Cruiser first registered 97.
It was all blue to start with and the two tone added later.
Underneath was typical of a 20 year old Cruiser, rusty covered with black dag.
The sills were starting to perforate at their rearmost point but there was no major rot.
It started life as a 24V PETROL but has been converted. This was immediately apparent with a 130 mph speedo and a rev counter which red lines at 5K instead of 4K . The lack of "Turbo" stickers on a Cruiser with predominantly factory paint were also leading to this conclusion along with the EGR valves being removed and an absence of any associated plumbing.

This was a Cruiser I had heard of and I think it was a past forum member who converted it.
Its a pity it wasn't a bit better underneath and with work it could make one of the best 80's.

So the mystery is solved. A UK truck, just not a standard one. Shame about the underneath, I thought the Wurth rustproofing system was one of the best? All depends if the treatment has been maintained over the years I guess.

Back