Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Best folding camping chairs

Grimbo

Country Flag
great_britain
As the title states.... what folding camp chairs are you using ? and what's rubbish and what's good ?
We all spend hopefully many hrs sitting round a campfire drinking beer and putting the world straight .... if at home in the field it's a fishing bed chair for me but it's hardly portable when camping in the 80 or camper van ....

I like the Helinox type of chair, with family of 5 they have to fold small.

Personally I think anything uncomfortable is rubbish, irrespective of weight or price. I have found that in long-term use any design that supports you via fabric that compresses round your backside is hugely uncomfortable.

We use our chairs a lot and after years of wasting money on various light weight options I went for these and have not been disappointed Outwell Kenai - Buy online here - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club] They are however relatively big and heavy.

The Oztent King Kokoda chair I've got is the most comfortable one I've had, but it is slightly large and a bit heavy which doesn't matter much just slung in the back of the Cruiser. OZTENT King Kokoda Chair - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club]
On eBay,

We have these ones, light, fold up nicely, and have a table and pocket.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
You have to sit on them. One person's comfort is another person's pain. I like the Oz Chairs but they're bulky and expensive. To be fair, it's an easier choice when you're an average sized person and not a prop forward.

Search for "Carp Chair" for comfort , as already said they only fold flat and are heavy but i expect mine to outlast me .

IMG_20200609_162302305.jpg

The dog votes for my old camping chair - I lost it to the dog after a trip earlier this year when she decided that it was better than her bed. She can be found there about 85% of the time she's outside in the house yard (which is about 22 out of 24hrs), and will sleep there all winter with her coat on.

The car seat is a Recaro that will become my office chair at somepoint... just need to find a decent spinning base for it.

I've got a new chair (a Zempire Roco Lite) that is a lot lighter, and more of a chilling chair - it's more laid back than that style of chair:
roco-lite_0190926-001_hero-001.png

We've used a few but the best for us are the Helinox chairs, they're more 'slouchable' than most, but they also pack down small which is a important for us beause there are 4 of us. I think it depends a lot on what you need out of the chair, but comfort is definitely the top priority.

Been using the same Oztent chair for around 7 years, and not broke it yet, the only downside it is heavy and takes up a lot of space

If you like the padded comfort of a fishing bedchair Vango do a folding armchair called the Titan or sometimes the Embrace. It’s designed with the heavier-set traveller in mind (load capacity 180kg) so it’s very roomy and the fabric is in one piece to keep the breeze out. We have been using a pair for three or four years without any quality issues.

Another vote for the Oz Tent King Goanna and you get a heat pack to warm yer cold bits and the chair is adjustable for slouch and comfort by way of straps yes expensive yes heavy so I bought two one for me one for Patrick and kept the second heat pack so I can warm two cold bits

View attachment 168920
The dog votes for my old camping chair - I lost it to the dog after a trip earlier this year when she decided that it was better than her bed. She can be found there about 85% of the time she's outside in the house yard (which is about 22 out of 24hrs), and will sleep there all winter with her coat on.

The car seat is a Recaro that will become my office chair at somepoint... just need to find a decent spinning base for it.

I've got a new chair (a Zempire Roco Lite) that is a lot lighter, and more of a chilling chair - it's more laid back than that style of chair:
roco-lite_0190926-001_hero-001.png
She looks like a Huntaway...... lovely dogs . My Collie also jumps straight into the camp chairs when we're either in the Landcruiser or the camper van .....so much so we carry 3 chairs ...... must be a sheep dog thing .

Bought two Oz Tent King Goanna chairs a couple of years back. Great strong comfortable reliable design. Around £80 each didn't seem bad at all. The only disadvantage in the design for me cannot lay back like lounge chairs.

Attachments

• oztent-klappstuhl-king-goanna.jpg
    oztent-klappstuhl-king-goanna.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 38
Search for "Carp Chair" for comfort , as already said they only fold flat and are heavy but i expect mine to outlast me .
That's exactly the kind of thing I've got for camping at home in the fields ....it also turns into a bed and is mega comfortable much better than the Army issue folding beds I've slept on for years... we did 10 days in the Sherman Tank in Holland last year and the owner took his carp bed ....we had to strap it to the top of the turret .

Interesting to see what others find works...the Oz Tent chair looks good and will work well in the Cruiser and Camper van

We camp in the camper van and Landcruiser but also at home either in our fields or at Military vehicle shows where space and weight are not an issue when you have a Halftrack or Tank and associated trucks .... we take everything including the Kitchen sink so the carp bed or directors chairs work OK ....

Always interested in learning from others with camp set ups ..... just ordered a bedourie to replace the heavy cast camp oven ....looking at the Kings grill plate because I like the mix of grill plate and open grill .... probably a diy job as the cost of delivery from Aus is more than the grill plate .

I have a Halftrack under restoration.... International M5A1 and an M38A1 Willys Jeep ...
Friend has an M16 and an M3A1 Halftrack and a Sherman M4A1 Tank..... also Hunvee and 2 M9000 trucks and a Unimog we are into the vehicles more than reinacting ..... friends also have similar vehicles ....you know you have a strange hobby when the wife doesn't bat an eyelid at the 2 deactivated .50 machine guns lying on the kitchen floor when she comes home from shopping ( she is as enthusiastic about the vehicles )

Back