Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

best way to bleed your fuel system

If my lc90 still struggles to fire up after i have changed the fuel filter and fuel pipes

What else can cause this problem as car drives perfect with no faults so not injectors.

can you elaborate what you mean by struggle? How many seconds of cranking?? Does this change depending on hot/cold engine? Time in between starts? If you start it, shut it off, and start it again how does it start?

Sorry guys bit short on info.

When i start it first thing of a morning i crank it only once until it starts but may take a few seconds to fire but then its ok but wish i could say if i drove for a bit and parked up for say 10mins it should start quicker but does not always and may still take a few seconds to fire.
I got the fuel filter changed and was full of bits so thought i had found the problem i done the none rdturn valve on both feed and return lines but car still the same.
My batterys are both fine as cranks very fast and starter works as it should.

Pointing now to glow plugs but what are the symtoms to look for and has any one got pics or vid to show me how to to it myself as i need to learn.

P.s when i changed the filter the difference is instant to notice as car seems to take off alot smoother and very crisp response

Bits ? fuel bug ?

Gave my primer filter a good clean this time and will prob be from vegi oil left over in my tank as when i stopped useing veggie oil i changed the filter after a few weeks of running on diesel but may have forgot to clean primer filter but notice it this time plus my filter is doing its job

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I would put a bottle of Wynn's gold diesel formula or something similar in a full tank of fuel and change the filter again when the fuel light came on . I use it occasionally anyway because it can't do any harm and might do some good :confusion-shrug:

In fact there is a bottle of LiquiMoly super diesel additive on the table in front of me now that came with Roughtrax job lot servicing kit so that will go in next time i fill up .

Did you run on veg oil or bio for long ? Any signs of seepage on or around the injection pump at all ?

From what you're describing I doubt it's the glow plugs. Do this one check to verify it's fuel related.

Start the engine (ideally on a warm engine), and then switch it. Once off instantly crank it back and see if it starts as normal. I currently have a fuel/air problem as well, and if I do this the truck will start back on the dime.

Also, the Primer housing pump are known to fail and take in air/ let fuel return back to the tank.

From what you're describing I doubt it's the glow plugs. Do this one check to verify it's fuel related.

Start the engine (ideally on a warm engine), and then switch it. Once off instantly crank it back and see if it starts as normal. I currently have a fuel/air problem as well, and if I do this the truck will start back on the dime.

Also, the Primer housing pump are known to fail and take in air/ let fuel return back to the tank.

thanks beau and yes my car does exactly what you said as if i drive for a bit and stop even a couple of mins it will crank back up straight away.

thanks beau and yes my car does exactly what you said as if i drive for a bit and stop even a couple of mins it will crank back up straight away.

Hi guys sorry to gate crash this post i've been on this Forum before I had a problem with my heaters and some helpful guy told me to run water through the heater pipes the matrix was clogged so that was a great result.

Now i have an other problem. My d4d 90 struggles on a morning for the first drive. It will start to drive off then after 1min it cuts off. I then have to thrash the gas pedal and after about 6 attempts it starts and once warmed up runs fine all day. No white or black smoke the only thing i've noticed is the car shudders and shakes when i start it. I went to see a diesel mechanic he plugged a fault reader no codes. He then told me to change the fuel filter primer cap the so i went and ordered one from Toyota for £90 as a second hand one on e bay was only £20 cheaper.

The new primer housing pump will be fitted in tomorrow hope this fixes the problem and it does not turn out to be the fuel pump or injectors.

Last edited:
Just change fuel filter that should do the job if not check for fuel leaks and even ur air intake (maf) mass air flow sensor as that can cause hard starts but put money on fuel filter may have water in it.

DSC_0032.JPG
Just change fuel filter that should do the job if not check for fuel leaks and even ur air intake (maf) mass air flow sensor as that can cause hard starts but put money on fuel filter may have water in it.
Hi thanks for the reply ive just noticed a fuel leak three pipes attached to the fuel tank dealer says it's called a vent any ideas any one???
Hi just noticed a leak coming from the fuel tank the dealers say it's a vent any ideas any one please?? DSC_0031.JPG

Yorkshire4x4 - On top of the fuel tank are the metal pipes referred to on the first page of this thread. You have a leak there. This is QUITE LIKELY to be the cause of your hard starting (just as I still think it is in Tony's case). They need replacing. See the photos in the link that I provided and the parts diagram that Shayn has just provided. This is a very common place for corrosion because it is a dirt and moisture trap.

To cause your symptoms, the leak is likely to be your return pipe (or perhaps the supply) rather than the breather but you'll be able to tell when you get the tank off. I don't see how it's possible to tell which of the three is leaking from that photo.

Glad u found your problem pretty fast and at least with yours its obvious were your leak is.
I phoned toyota for the same rubber hose pipes and want £21 for two small pipes.:text-bravo:

Glad u found your problem pretty fast and at least with yours its obvious were your leak is.
I phoned toyota for the same rubber hose pipes and want £21 for two small pipes.:text-bravo:
Hi guys thanks for your help
I took off the fuel tank and noticed the three copper pipes attached to the fuel tank corroded and leaking not sure which one! I then cut the corroded ends off the metal pipes! Put longer rubber pipes on all three metal pipes and the car started first time without stalling! Hope my cheap solution works out! If not then it's two set of fuel tank valves at £100 each from the steelers! So yes you guys were spot on again it's the metal pipes attached to yhe tank that corrodes
Hi guys thanks for your help
I took off the fuel tank and noticed the three copper pipes attached to the fuel tank corroded and leaking not sure which one! I then cut the corroded ends off the metal pipes! Put longer rubber pipes on all three metal pipes and the car started first time without stalling! Hope my cheap solution works out! If not then it's two set of fuel tank valves at £100 each from the steelers! So yes you guys were spot on again it's the metal pipes attached to yhe tank that corrodes. The metal pipes are back in my picture they are two valves attached to the tank and the ends of the metal pipes are corroded they were leaking diesel like mad
IMG-20170217-WA0006.jpg

what size rubber hoses did u use and good job on find and fix and great pics .:text-coolphotos:

what size rubber hoses did u use and good job on find and fix and great pics .:text-coolphotos:
3 pipes
1 is a 10 millimeter black rubber pipe and the other two are 6 millimeter black rubber pipes. The corroded metal fuel tank pipes which I cut I used hose clips with screws to attached all three rubber pipes! At the other end of the rubber pipe I used the same clips as I didn't cut them they weren't corroded!! So far so good I drove it around for about 20mins went under to check for leaks I didn't find any

3 pipes
1 is a 10 millimeter black rubber pipe and the other two are 6 millimeter black rubber pipes. The corroded metal fuel tank pipes which I cut I used hose clips with screws to attached all three rubber pipes! At the other end of the rubber pipe I used the same clips as I didn't cut them they weren't corroded!! So far so good I drove it around for about 20mins went under to check for leaks I didn't find any
By the way the pipes cost me £3.50 for a meter of 10ml and £3.50 for a meter of yhe 6ml from a local car parts shop they came with four hose clips

Back