Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Better to keep sub tank full or empty?

Ryley

Country Flag
australia
Hi there.

First post as an LCC member. Cant find anything on this topic already, so apologies if I'm just not searching in the right places!

Just bought a 2005 1HZ FTE troop carrier. Using it mostly as a work vehicle, doing short trips daily. Wondering if its better to keep the sub tank full or empty? I don't need to carry all that fuel and it occurs to me that it would increase my fuel usage just by carrying it around all the time. However I have heard that the inside of the tank can corrode if exposed to air for long periods of time.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

In my opinion yes it would be best to have fuel in the tank on a regular basis for the reason you have mentioned but also its not a good idea to keep the same fuel in there for long periods either so you would have to use the fuel in the sub tank as fuel can go off over time

MC

Agree with the above. You could run it empty for a little while as diesel is quite sticky and will line the tank reasonably well for short periods but I would fill it occasionally, and use it. I don’t know how these are set up, if it’s a change over switch can you alternate tanks?

Agreed - and the impact of dragging around 100kg extra fuel would be barely noticed in terms of mpg. Fill and use now and again to cycle. Empty tanks are bad re corrosion, inc condensation contamination.

Back