Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Beware travelling in Spain!

I don’t mean to jack this thread at all, and I accept that Romania is not Spain (surprise), but the stories seem similar even if there’s more blind-eyes here.

Tyres have to be what’s on the registration, crazy but true. On my 80 reg, the tyres are stated to be 215/85/16, what a nightmare! I run on 305/70/16s, way over in all directions, but considering the huge number of times I’ve been stopped, crashes, speeding, all sorts, tyres have never been on the list of issues.

The ARB front winch bar is illegal, I’m told, but nobody can explain why.

My Angel-eye HID headlamps are illegal, simply because Mr T didn’t fit them at the factory, but nobody cares that the OEM lights are like birthday cake candles in comparison.

Auxiliary lighting, front and rear, not acceptable, but with covers, or a black bin-bag over them in my case at the ITP (MOT) is sufficient.

The Suspension lift is on a par with carrying a loaded Kalashnikov around a supermarket, at the ITP, serious no no, but as with the tyres and winch bar, none of the cops that have stopped me, have given it a mention.

The list is longer, but needless to say, a small golden handshake at the ITP every 2 years seems to do the trick, so far, and because of the road-side apathy of the cops, and the insurers likewise can’t be arsed approach, it’s never been an issue for me, they have paid up without a question, when I’m found to blame.

Again, here isn’t Spain and I know from Dave’s posts that the Cops and the authorities in Spain do seem to be on the ball much more than here.

End of threadjack, apologies.

Last edited:
So some update on our road laws in Spain just in time for the holiday makers, some are great and some absolutely rediculous!

OK where do I start?

You must not hog the middle or outside lane, I like that and it makes sense.

The no bare feet or flip flops makes sense, but not wearing a top (shirt ect) "could diminish the drivers ability to control the vehicle" €200.00 fine........WTF? Prove it affects my ability to drive, COME ON PROVE IT!

Checking your make up, or take a bite of a sandwich whilst sitting at a red traffic light....€200.00 fine and loss of points............no honest.

Playing loud music in the early hours outside a hospital €80.00 - 100.00 fine however, if you wake someone (unsure if outside hospital or domestic premises) €2,400 fine!

Both hands should be on the steering wheel................and BOTH EARS should be visible, I get that, it covers the headphone wearers, but what if you have long hair, it has to be tied back!

Sounding the horn other than an emergency or when overtaking €80.00 yep I get that.

Leaving the car radio on while filling with fuel...€90.00 fine.

Arguing with your passenger enough that you take your eyes off the road €80.00 fine......................the same as BITING YOUR NAILS while driving!

Parking close to a beach is not illegal, but if it is a 'protected beach' (never seen a sign) €6000.00 euros from your wallet will really piss you off!

There are some others, again a nice balance between perfect common sense and complete and utter nonsense!

Oh and I can personaly confirm you are allowed up to 8km over a posted speed limit. The local bypass recently had its speed limit reduced from 80kph down to 60kph, no new roads joining, no properties with driveways recently added, no apparent reason except to catch locals who after many years had become used to around 70 - 80 kph.......like myself.

75 kph could have netted me a €150.00 fine and the loss of 2 or 3 points off my licence, but he was lenient (having good looks help...........cough) €50.00 and no points.

TBH, he and his companions were all very polite as they lined up victim after victim, even after I told them I was going to let the tyres down on the camera car, one just laughed, as it is a pursuit car it had run flat tyres....ah well, I was speeding and paid the fine, fair enough but, fine me for biting my nails, now that will go to court!

Of course only after videoing the local traffic cops as they leave the bar with a few coffee and brandies in them, or showing how they break their own rules about negotiating roundabouts, car with bulbs out, hmmm am I becoming an activist.......you know, something to do when retired? :think:

I am not anti law, I am against the complete dicks that make them! :angry-screaming:

Regards

Dave

Last edited:
Biting your nails, bloody eck. I guess picking your nose is ok
We just had a blanket 80km/hr speed limit imposed, on all roads, unless a duel carrigeway or motorway......ok on the small roads, but the main roads, bonkers!

Hi Steve and Dawn, certain motorways here have had their speed limit increased to 130kph, most of the bypasses though they are reducing. There is also a feeling of dejar vu growing here, speed bumps being put in, we know most are ignored and they increase pollution, so perhaps like the UK they will realise the error and remove them..........in about 30 years?

Regards

Dave

I hope so. My van has 6 gears. 5th at 80 and it's labouring. So 4th is better but 1000rpm higher, so more fuel used and more pollution! Madness.

I don’t mean to jack this thread at all, and I accept that Romania is not Spain (surprise), but the stories seem similar even if there’s more blind-eyes here.

Tyres have to be what’s on the registration, crazy but true. On my 80 reg, there’s 235/85/16, what a nightmare! I run on 305/70/16s, way over in all directions, but considering the huge number of times I’ve been stopped, crashes, speeding, all sorts, tyres have never been on the list of issues.

The ARB front winch bar is illegal, I’m told, but nobody can explain why.

My Angel-eye HID headlamps are illegal, simply because Mr T didn’t fit them at the factory, but nobody cares that the OEM lights are like birthday cake candles in comparison.

Auxiliary lighting, front and rear, not acceptable, but with covers, or a black bin-bag over them in my case at the ITP (MOT) is sufficient.

The Suspension lift is on a par with carrying a loaded Kalashnikov around a supermarket, at the ITP, serious no no, but as with the tyres and winch bar, none of the cops that have stopped me, have given it a mention.

The list is longer, but needless to say, a small golden handshake at the ITP every 2 years seems to do the trick, so far, and because of the road-side apathy of the cops, and the insurers likewise can’t be arsed approach, it’s never been an issue for me, they have paid up without a question, when I’m found to blame.

Again, here isn’t Spain and I know from Dave’s posts that the Cops and the authorities in Spain do seem to be on the ball much more than here.

End of threadjack, apologies.
It does surprise me given the wrecks you see driving around that the former Eastern European countries seem to be the toughest (most ridiculous) on vehicle construction and modification! If I’m on holiday there with a winch bar fitted is that an issue?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
It does surprise me given the wrecks you see driving around that the former Eastern European countries seem to be the toughest (most ridiculous) on vehicle construction and modification! If I’m on holiday there with a winch bar fitted is that an issue?

In general, if your car is legal in the UK it should be allowed here however, I would guess that is down to the individual officer who stops you, unsure if you have declared it on your insurance, if yes then unlikely an issue.

If a spanish car you can get a fine for fitting a towbar and not having the install checked at the MOT station, and if you remove a towbar the removal must be checked and your MOT certificate stamped to recognise that fact.

Something that did come out is the use of speed trap detectors, if you have one in the car then that will get you a fine, even if it is unused and in the boot. This is no doubt due to the considerable increase in the use of speed cameras here.

Regards

Dave

In France, speed trap detectors are illegal. Also, speed camera warnings from your sat nav are also illegal. My Van came with a built in sat nag, no speed warnings or speed camera/dangerous road warnings at all. You are supposed to turn the warnings off on your sat nav. However, who does? I dont. I am not sure the feds are allowed to enter the car and check your sat nav either.
I did find out yesterdy there are lots of 'mini' speed cameras appearing, bolted to sign posts etc - cant see them till you are on them! Drive slow,drive safe!

It hasn’t been an issue in Romania so far, with Brit trucks coming to visit us. These seem to be regulations that they’re happy to overlook. I guess if you do something heinous, they would be pleased to add them to a list, though.

It hasn’t been an issue in Romania so far, with Brit trucks coming to visit us. These seem to be regulations that they’re happy to overlook. I guess if you do something heinous, they would be pleased to add them to a list, though.
The winch bar thing may be because bull bars became illegal in the 1990s, although in the uk winch bars are allowed so long as a winch is fitted. However, if fitted before the date the law came in they are permitted in uk so if same in Romania etc I would probably get away with it based on age of my truck. They would have to prove it was fitted after the date the law came in (possibly!!!)

Photographing or videoing the cops cal also land you a big fine if it leads to the identification of the copper & puts his,safely at risk.but don't be afraid to film , if it's for your own use & you don't publish it you are in the right.Disrespectful attitude to a rozzer can also land you a big fine & its "administrative" so no rights to go to court.nearly 50 000 of these have been handed out in the last 4 years for offences such as calling the copper mate or speaking Catalan to a copper in Cataluña !!! People in Galicia were fined for giving a "like" on a video posted on Facebook showing a cop chasing & failing to apprehend a suspect.

So with vehicle travel to Spain virtually non existent this year because the Covid-19 there is not much to report. There have been fines dished out about driving with one arm hanging out of the car, and driving without having a top on, that is no T shirt for example. Masks are mandatory when out in public, and there is no debate, you either wear one or get fined. Of course there are those that can breath through their arms where they keep the mask. We are slowly drifting back into lock down with three towns in our (Murcia) region already under curfew, the first being Campasol, this is a predominantly English area. It is a fact to say a lot of this is down to holidaymakers. We went from 200 odd new cases per day at the end of June and within two weeks of the tourists arriving we are now over 2600 per day!

So don't come here guys is the best advice I can offer.

Stay safe.

regards

Dave.

Thanks for that location report Dave. Always good to get word from someone actually there.

Hey Dave, that’s bad news. Like you probably, we are wondering what it’ll be like mid September when the holidaymakers have gone. We’ve had little problem over here, but that’s likely to change. :( stay safe

P1010300.JPG

P1000781.JPG

Dont had any issue with winch bar and slightly bigger mudterrain tires (33") in Europe (too spain, romania, kroatia) and other countries.

Not one stop because of checking my vehicle documents in details. Stops in Switzerland Bulgaria, Croatia for a quick check, or because I dont had turn on the light or similar. It never lead to a vehicle check.

Everything is legaliced and written in my official car documents, even the brand of my mud tyres - but never hat to use it.

Maybe it helps, that the front bar is colored too like the vehicle?

For shure in Africa and Southamerica was many stops, but more for bribery purpose. Tinted windows are forbidden - I did hear often... Not in Europe.

Surfy

Hey Dave, that’s bad news. Like you probably, we are wondering what it’ll be like mid September when the holidaymakers have gone. We’ve had little problem over here, but that’s likely to change. :( stay safe

Our poor President had it all under control until those with financial interests in the tourist trade started waving their arms about! Infections are still rising steeply here Mark, and I along with many other locals here on the coast reckon another lock down is pretty much inevitable. A great restaurant has had staff tested positive this last weekend, so it has been closed down for the foreseeable future. The middle of September is when the last of the holiday makers go home, so by then the tourist trade will have had at least some reasonable income, so that may well be the time to expect a lock down?

So you and yours stay safe and get back to me if you feel like making any plans.

regards

Dave

P1010300.JPG

P1000781.JPG

Dont had any issue with winch bar and slightly bigger mudterrain tires (33") in Europe (too spain, romania, kroatia) and other countries.

Not one stop because of checking my vehicle documents in details. Stops in Switzerland Bulgaria, Croatia for a quick check, or because I dont had turn on the light or similar. It never lead to a vehicle check.

Everything is legaliced and written in my official car documents, even the brand of my mud tyres - but never hat to use it.

Maybe it helps, that the front bar is colored too like the vehicle?

For shure in Africa and Southamerica was many stops, but more for bribery purpose. Tinted windows are forbidden - I did hear often... Not in Europe.

Surfy

If your car is legal in your constituent country then it will be legal to pass through Spain unhindered. If you modify a Spanish registered car then it has to go through some processes to make the mods legal. For example you mention tinted windows? Unless something has changed in the last seven years you cannot buy and fit your own window tint. It has to be fitted by a registered company and there is a little sticker that goes between the tint and the glass. You are then given a certification that proves it meets legislation, I have to carry that document in my work van at all times.

There are some strange laws here for sure.

regards

Dave

Back