Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Big connector through small hole

cmcmill01

Supporter
Country Flag
uk
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1455965194.383139.jpg
Just finished installing one of the lights in the back and want to do the same thing for the CB cable, only problem is it has the large connector on the end.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1455965285.401093.jpg
What is the best plan here to pass the cable into a hole beside the tailgate??
Drill a big enough hole and then use a large grommet?
Cut the connector of the cable and then reterminate??
Just pass it through the rear weather strip, like I have for the reversing camera? (Don't like this, so hopefully temporary)
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1455965490.850303.jpg
Any advice with pictures welcome.
cheers Craig

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't you desoilder the wire on the end and pull it from the connector as if I remember rightly that's all what holds it on,then push the wire through and re connect.

Good work, would have never though about the desoldering idea, in a long time.
Cheers
Craig

They sometimes screw on so desoldering is what I would do. I drilled a 20mm hole by the hinge of the tailgate, similar to how the wash tube exits and fitted a grommet there with the wire exiting on the curve of the tailgate where it meets the body. There's a null spot that doesn't move which allows a small cable out without damage. I think ice posted a photo on here before somewhere. I then ran the coax over the roof lining and down the A pillar (the trickiest bit but doable).

Solder those all the time. Dead easy. They de-solder very quickly and can be reused.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
x4 on the de-soldering. The only problem you may have is if the plug uses a plastic insulator like some of the very cheap ones it will melt so try and unscrew the plug off the cable as quickly as possible when the solder has melted. If you ruin the plug it's no big deal as even the best quality ones are inexpensive. I went for a quality IP rated gland for the cable exit...post No.9

http://www.landcruiserclub.net/forums/showthread.php/55094-Radio-fitting

x4 on the de-soldering. The only problem you may have is if the plug uses a plastic insulator like some of the very cheap ones it will melt so try and unscrew the plug off the cable as quickly as possible when the solder has melted. If you ruin the plug it's no big deal as even the best quality ones are inexpensive. I went for a quality IP rated gland for the cable exit...post No.9

http://www.landcruiserclub.net/forums/showthread.php/55094-Radio-fitting

Cheers, the drilling a hole in the roof looks very neat but scares the be Jesus out of me. With this desolder I can route the CB aerial through beside the tailgate along with the 2nd spot and then the reversing camera lead can go up beside the snorkel along with the 42" LED power and another pair of camping spots

Got that job done as well, probably not the best position for a CB aerial, desoldering worked a treat!!
aa7b92f041c0d1f64365fc6e70c0ee1b.jpg

a16fbf450e5c874dcdf652d34b5a0768.jpg

I drilled into the roof for a shark fin ariel...........worked for ooooh two weeks, POS! This was then going to be my CB ariel cable, and I would had to de-solder the same plug, as above easy peasy, when putting it back make sure the outer coax is well back and does not get picked up by the solder.

Eventually the hole became the cable entry point for one of my solar panels.

regards

Dave

Back