Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Big End Bearings!

John Corry

Country Flag
congo
Sorry for a boring first post.
Just about to send my 1994 80 turbo diesel off to have the big ends done as preventative maintenance.
What parts should I order? I would prefer to supply the parts myself. Is there anything else they should replace/look at whilst carrying out the operation !?
And lastly, how many hours of labour would be a reasonable expectation ?
Cheers.

welcome.
I do the bearings as a kit and are in the classified section of the forum.
I sell the ACL Duraglide. A quick Google search should show these are the preferred upgrade.
thanks

welcome.
I do the bearings as a kit and are in the classified section of the forum.
I sell the ACL Duraglide. A quick Google search should show these are the preferred upgrade.
thanks
That’s great. - I can’t find the link to purchase ? Cheers

Welcome!

I stock and supply taiho bearings and genuine bolts as a kit.

A more thorough Google search will show these are the preferred non oem upgrade. Search ih8mud and Honda racing forums.

Cheers

Welcome!

I stock and supply taiho bearings and genuine bolts as a kit.

A more thorough Google search will show these are the preferred non oem upgrade. Search ih8mud and Honda racing forums.

Cheers
So which is best !!?

In terms of parts, really you need the bearings, the stretch bolts, I'd recommend a graphite paste for start up (not everyone does and some decent sump gasket sealant. Plus of course new oil and filter. As regards time, I have done one in around 4 hours. It's genuinely not a complex job. However, there is often a real struggle in getting the sump off. It's best to remove the engine to bell housing stiffener brackets. It makes life easier. The sump is double skinned and very easily bent. However, it's also very easily straightened again. Start at the front rhs when looking at the vehicle from the front. Once that corner is moved a little, the rest will follow.

There is no evidence over which is best by the way. Obviously genuine must be good, but thousands of sets of ACL have been fitted. The important thing is just to get them changed.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
There is going to be some difference of opinion here John. I would suggest doing a little research and come to your own conclusion.

I have close on 150000 miles on the taiho in my 80.

There is going to be some difference of opinion here John. I would suggest doing a little research and come to your own conclusion.

I have close on 150000 miles on the taiho in my 80.
Thanks. Have you got a number for a quick chat ? Cheers

You also have my number via PM.

I'm not hard selling. I'll leave it to you.

Out of interest how often should BEB be replaced, and what are the signs that they are wearing out?

N

They aren't a consumable Nick. This was a manufacturing fault, let's call it, with the 12 valve engine in the 80. The sign that they are wearing it out is when there is a piston sticking out of the side of your cylinder block.

A rattle followed quickly by a disaster.

You can use the old bolts as long as they are in spec as ruled by the WSM.

Out of interest how often should BEB be replaced, and what are the signs that they are wearing out?

N
In general they shouldn't have to be replaced on a engine other than during a rebuild.
There was a issue with bearings on the 1hd t, lesser so on the ft.

It's been a talking point for 20 plus years! With all manner of theory's.
Personally I just think it was a faulty batch of bearings.

They aren't a consumable Nick. This was a manufacturing fault, let's call it, with the 12 valve engine in the 80. The sign that they are wearing it out is when there is a piston sticking out of the side of your cylinder block.

Hi Chris,

Is this a problem only on the 80s? I have a 100 series with the 1HDT. Should I be doing my BEBs as a preventive measure?

Cheers

It's more an age related thing. The issue was resolved with the advent of the 24v motor around 1995. Since the 100 series and production of the 12v 80 series effectively didn't overlap you shouldn't have an issue. Unless you have a 100 series with a 12v 80 series engine grafted into it of course ....

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the reply.

Mine is an original 100 series with the 1hdt from new so hopefully it wasn't an old 80 engine lying around they decided to fit in the factory.. Should be ok then.

Cheers

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the reply.

Mine is an original 100 series with the 1hdt from new so hopefully it wasn't an old 80 engine lying around they decided to fit in the factory.. Should be ok then.

Cheers

Chris is right.

The problem is though unless you have owned the truck from new you domt know how previous owners have treated the vehicle.

I've seen a number of 24v 80s and 100s with engines that have let go. Holes in blocks is a common one.

For the cost of bearings and bolts and a little labour I dont see any harm in replacing them. these engines cost a pretty penny new and second hand.Jmo

Indeed, replacing them as a precaution but not as a necessity is a good idea if you're about to head off into the wilderness.

Back