Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Big Green: 80 Series overland build - or is it more of a kitting out?

Oh no - some are tiny like a 2.5 x 2" screen you velcro to your dash ...

Just like to add the following:
1. TPMS - I had these installed on my 4x4 and over the year of driving, i never once looked at the screen. Better of getting into the habit of checking tyre pressure manually and condition of tyre frequently (especially for embedded nails/bolts etc).
2. You can pick up cheapy chinese reverse cameras on ebay - easy to install. Though again nothing beats a little bit of practice in an empty carpark with some traffic cones to really know your 80 length and width.
3. I'd invest in a dash cam instead and record all the action through your windscreen. You never know what you might film.
4. Roof tent - either second hand or talk to the manufacturers for a product placement discount.
5. Split charger/dual battery set up - essential. Worth paying to get it done properly.
6. Choose your suspension/shocks carefully - my brand new Ironman leaf springs failed me after 7,500km.

Rest I can't comment on yet..not until the 80 is in my hands.

I have a TPMS on my 80 and I do use it to monitor pressures and temperatures. Remember that mine is very heavily laden and these 35' ATs respond to even the smallest pressure change. 5 psi is the difference between a nice straight line and wandering all over the place. I wouldn't bother maybe on a standard vehicle. It's amazing to watch the pressures climb when fully loaded. It;sa fine knowing what they are when cold, but what are they when hot? My rears are noticeably hotter and higher then my fronts after a few miles. Essential, no. Helpful? Yes.

If you go with the Garmin Dezl sat nag you can get a wireless rear view camera that comes up on the same screen.

I had a very crappy sound system when I bought the truck, so I fitted a JVC Double Din touchscreen RADIO/USB player which also has a camera input wire, and I bought a cheapo reversing camera which is wired in using the reverse light power supply. Put it in reverse gear and the camera fires up on the screen, and it works well. All in, it cost about £300 IIRC.

There are also rear view mirror "screens" in fact someone posted a similar install recently "how can I hide this wire" or something similar... I think...

Looks like a nice truck and a sensible list of mods there!

Whereabouts in London are you based? I'm NW London (well, Bucks) myself, also heading to and from Julian with work to be completed!

I've added some comments below where I may be able to help:

1. Replace the aerial and tape deck with a Bluetooth based system - I RECENTLY FITTED A BLUETOOTH PIONEER HEADUNIT (MVH-X360BT), IT WAS <£90 FROM HALFORDS AND WORKS WELL
2. Fit parking sensors - TOWBAR :D
3. New central cubby lid - I HAVE A SPARE LID GOING IF YOU WANT IT (NO ARMREST, THOUGH, JUST THE BASIC LID/TRAY)
4. Re-instate front interior light (not sure why this was taken out in the first place!)
5. Split charge system, extra battery, inverter and extra sockets, etc.
6. Upgrade interior bulbs with LEDs - AFTER BUYING SEVERAL SETS I CAN RECOMMEND YOU SOME THAT FIT AND WORK FROM EBAY IF YOU LIKE
7. Fit LED lights in upper tailgate - I'VE BEEN LOOKING INTO THIS TOO, HAVE DECIDED ON A SINGLE LED STRIP ACROSS THE TOP OF THE INNER TAILGATE FOR OPTIMUM LIGHT DISTRIBUTION AND EASE OF FITMENT
8. Stainless sheet on boot lid
9. Ladder foot mounts on both sides.
10. Rear wheel carrier (of some sort)
11. Cargo barrier
12. Tyre pressure sensors
13. Rear storage system
14. Roof rack - HAVE YOU CONSIDERED ROOF BARS? LIGHTER THAN A ROOF RACK IF YOU ONLY WANT A ROOFTENT UP THERE (I.E. NO FUEL, WATER, ETC.)
15. Side Awning - MY AWNING ALSO MOUNTS TO THE ROOF BARS
16. Roof tent - I HAVE A MAGGIOLINA SAFARI RTT, WOULD RECOMMEND IT :)
17. Fridge
18. Rack mounted storage box - AS PER MY COMMENT ABOVE, PERSONALLY I DONLT LIKE ROOFRACKS BECAUSE I FEEL THEY ENCOURAGE YOU TO PUT TOO MUCH WEIGHT TOO HIGH UP. FOR ME, A ROOFTENT IS ENOUGH WEIGHT UP TOP, EVERYTHING ELSE SHOULD BE CARRIED LOW DOWN IN THE VEHICLE, BUT JUST MY OPINION!

HTH :)

Last edited:
Quick break from rebuilding the front axel to say that I'll do a full update of the work so far tonight. In the meantime Mike...

Whereabouts in London are you based? I'm NW London (well, Bucks) myself, also heading to and from Julian with work to be completed!

I'm generally based between Marylebone & South Bucks when I'm not up here working on the Green Machine :)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
South Bucks, GX area? I'm not a million miles away! Good luck with the project.

Having spent the past two weeks working on the cruiser, the end is beginning to fee a little like a mirage... Delays in deliveries, new fault discoveries, wiring complications and long weekends have meant that things haven't progressed at the pace that I'd initially hoped and the projected ten days worth of work is looking to be more like 17. (Did mean to post more frequently, but I've been too busy actually working on her!)

On the plus side, I've managed to get the axles rebuilt, the breaks sorted and new break discs installed, the swiss cheese rust panels re-welded, the sun roof and central light panels fixed, the wiring in the engine space tidied up and the rear windows tinted. Currently the gear box is detached as we wait for a new clutch to be delivered (annoyingly the suppliers provided the wrong part) and the central console is a wiring mess as I try to work out how to undo the work that was previously done to get the Sony stereo installed.

Now I have to decide a) whether I'm going for a rear bumper jerry carrier or just carry them on the roof and b) whether I go with the new Kenwood bluetooth stereo I've bought that's incompatible with the Sony steering remote, replace the Kenwood with a more expensive Sony or just go back to the current set up. As much as I love having the original Toyota cassette radio, I do think it would be advisable to have something slightly more modern...

IMG_1192.JPGIMG_1328.JPGIMG_1326.JPGIMG_1268.JPGimage2.jpgimage5.JPGimage6.JPGimage1.JPG

Last edited:
Looks like you've been a busy bee, GM, and I see what you mean by the state of the wiring:shifty:.

What on earth possesses folks to make such a mess? I'm no electrician, but it's not rocket science to install something properly :icon-rolleyes:.

Still, when you are done, you'll have the satisfaction of having righted all the wrongs of the past and you'll have a reliable truck to be proud of and enjoy :thumbup:.

The axle rebuilds are a good investment for reliability and you'll probably run the truck trouble free for quite a few k miles before having to touch them again. I did my front axle soon after purchase 8 years ago, but I was unlucky and broke a CV last year, so had to do it again.

Thanks for posting and chin up, the end is nigh! :lol:

Absolutely shattered after a day entirely devoted to getting the new clutch installed, refitting the gear box and changing out the middle exhaust section. May not sound like much but my poor core is definitely not used to the work out it’s getting as I work on the undercarriage!

There had been a slight hic-cup with the original replacement clutch - the wrong part was delivered...which seems to be a surprisingly common occurrence at the moment - rather frustrating! The above photo is the one the arrived on Monday, mockingly sitting where the new one is now fitted. The exhaust is all me, so it's taking a little longer than it might take the pros around me. Well, let's be honest, they'd have had the old one out and the new one in less than an hour unlike the best part of the day it's taken me so far! But where's the satisfaction in that :)

As for my music and fuel considerations from yesterday: instead of opting for a shiny new rear carrier from Accessories4x4 (Veronica is amazingly lovely and helpful if you do want to use them btw!) I've decided to stick with the Japanese import wheel carrier in the hopes of keeping it lighter and the weight further forward. Re the stereo, I’ve decided to opt for an upgrade…that is, if Sony ever get back to me of course!

Last edited:
Today felt like such a lucky day when it started. But after we ended up a man down, required several do overs on the exhaust connections due to stupid mistakes and I lost a screw for the stereo frame whilst fitting it back on, I'm not so sure... The screw wouldn't have been an issue really had the gear stick been in place following the replacement of gear box & clutch yesterday or even the hole just covered. Instead spent hours hunting for it in the hope that it would turn out to be anywhere but the gear box... No such luck. Have run through the gears and can't hear anything so hopefully no harm no foul.

Back in the workshop today, trying to install a Ring AE916 electric aerial which is proving to be impossible as there are no installation instructions or guidelines anywhere! Anyone have experience fitting one of these?

Where's that?! I'm up at Julian's next Friday, so if you're still there working away I'll see you then!
Beaconsfield. With any luck I won't still be here next friday. I'm hoping to be able to get away today, but with the way things are going that might require a small miracle...

Had a bit of a disaster on the cruiser yesterday. Whilst trying to fit the new electric aerial inside the passenger-side wing I managed to knock two of the wires for the starter motor out of their sockets (stupid that something so vital was so easy to dislodge!). The wirings been reconnected now, but after several hours of trying and a service on the starter motor itself, Julian still hadn't managed to get the Green Machine running again by the time I left last night - I think it's the first time I've seen him stumped by something since I started going up there.

Headed back this morning in the desperate hope that he has been struck by some divine inspiration in the night and now has a new plan of attack to get her running again...

I missed you at O.C. by a day by the looks of it! Glad you got it sorted.

Back