Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Big Muskie

StarCruiser

Supporter
Guru
Garage
Country Flag
uk
This was the worlds largest walking dragline.

Reactions: Pat
Just great, in every sense.

220 cubic yard bucket. If you had 1 cubic yard of sand delivered on your driveway, you’d struggle to get past it, imagine each payload of 220 cubic yards per cycle...

Great stuff in those days.... :thumbup:

Thanks Rich

Do they have better ways to remove overburden now? I agree that there is very little sentiment in big business.

Do they have better ways to remove overburden now? I agree that there is very little sentiment in big business.
Rotating bucket wheel excavators I suppose but it’s his one met it’s demise through environmental pressures reducing the demand for coal.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
There is still plenty of coal being dug out the ground...............

There is still plenty of coal being dug out the ground...............
Oh yes. Just not so much in places where wages are high and the environmental voices are loudest (apparently).

Oh yes. Just not so much in places where wages are high and the environmental voices are loudest (apparently).

Not sure about that, Australia and America still have some very large open cast coal mines.

Not sure about that, Australia and America still have some very large open cast coal mines.
I don’t doubt it Charlie, I’m simply quoting the reasons given in the film of the demolition of Big Muskie, which of course was a couple of decades ago.

Back