Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Bigger intercooler

SteveJB

Supporter
Country Flag
uk
A few of you have fitted bigger intercoolers but not wanting to go to after market could you help with what would fit a 100 4.2 derv and would say 50% increase in size be over ambitious and from what car truck van could it be liberated from also a member has fitted a dog guard from a beemer but was it a 3 or 5 series thanks for any help you can give me

For dog guard, this one fits nicely:
Variobarrier_large_01.jpg

It's the VarioBarrier from MimSafe. The Large model fits the 100 very well: https://www.mimsafe.se/en/safety-products/variosystem/variobarrier/

PS: Steve, could you please insert some punctuation in your letter-stream. It's difficult to see your "airs and stops". Otoh, it rattles the thinking cells a bit to find out what you're saying, so that's a good thing. ("liberated from also a member" took a while to decipher)

Uhu take a very deep breath and when you run out mentally insert punctuation of your choice full stop next sentence capital letter thanks for your reply dog guard pretty heavy duty full stop next sentence capital letter ta steve full stop end of sentence and reply

Allisport do a intercooler for the Hundy 4.2 diesel, cost way less than a 80 series one I am depressed to note, but then it does look smaller than the 80 one, and knowing allisport like I do they would probably custom make you one to your requirements.

https://www.allisport.com/product-c...cruiser-hd-100-4-2&filter_manufacturer=toyota

The Allisport intercooler for the 80 is a complete kit, the 100 IC just replaces the OEM one. If you want one for an 80 it might be worth giving them a call to see if they’ll sell just the IC. I’ve seen an Allisport IC up close and they’re top notch, even better than OEM I would say.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
thats okaysteve ill manage i like your attitude important thing is to get the message thru

The Allisport intercooler for the 80 is a complete kit, the 100 IC just replaces the OEM one. If you want one for an 80 it might be worth giving them a call to see if they’ll sell just the IC. I’ve seen an Allisport IC up close and they’re top notch, even better than OEM I would say.

I already have a allisport intercooler in my truck, cost me £700 fitted by Andrew and company in 2010 when they were developing the kit and like you say it is a really nice bit of kit.
Hence my surprise at the cost now due to inflation.
I also had a heavy duty radiator made by them and the workmanship is something to behold.

:thumbup:

I'm just about to fit an intercooler from eBay to my 100 it's quite big. 70x30x7cm. The guy's here in Zim didn't think it was too big and should fit behind the grille with a bit of modification on the slam panel support.
It didn't have one as standard.

CruiserCooler.jpg

Guru that looks very industrial friggin yoooge having read somewhere some suppliers paint them black to be more efficient when ambient temp is hot has anybody noticed any difference between the painted or natural ally in performance thankyou for all your replies ta steve

I know it's massive... but it fits:):):). I'll update once it is fitted and the engine retuned.

Not sure how painting it black would make it more efficient though, surely it would absorb more heat from the sunlight if it was black (and the sun was shining on it) making it less efficient?

Just be careful you don’t oversize the intercooler or you’ll end up with more lag. Ideally you intercooler should be matched to your turbo and power levels.

If I was getting a intercooler the first person I’d speak to is GRS Motorsport

Perhaps its a european thing the factory one fitted is painted black and some that i have seen for sale are painted or natural ally so a choice of bling or black the painted ones will eventually peel off and the natural ones will suffer surface corosion

I'm just about to fit an intercooler from eBay to my 100 it's quite big. 70x30x7cm. The guy's here in Zim didn't think it was too big and should fit behind the grille with a bit of modification on the slam panel support.
It didn't have one as standard.

View attachment 151375

Hahaha the guy's here in Zim were wrong... It's too big.

Physically it's too big it fouls on the top of the winch. And he also said I would probably end up with engine temp problems because it covered so much (almost all) of the radiator.

Guru you thought about roof mounting that or paint i green and use it for table tennis

Guru you thought about roof mounting that or paint i green and use it for table tennis

I could drill some holes in it and use it to mount the bundutop...

Already sold it to a local boy racer. His eyes nearly popped out of his head when he saw it in the work shop. Got my money back so I'm happy enough.

Guru that looks very industrial friggin yoooge having read somewhere some suppliers paint them black to be more efficient when ambient temp is hot has anybody noticed any difference between the painted or natural ally in performance thankyou for all your replies ta steve

Re. Black vs. shiny.

"A black intercooler is more efficient compared with an identical polished unit as the black finish increases the emissivity of the intercooler. Increased emissivity allows the external surface of the intercooler to radiate and disperse heat in a shorter time frame as the temperature differential from inlet to outlet is greater, particularly when the vehicle is stationary."

From an add on eBay

Never read that thanks for the research so Guru you going for black or bling

Back