Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Biggest tyres you can fit to a 90 without a lift kit .

helen07

These are Cooper STT Discoverer 285/75 R16

http://s999.beta.photobucket.com/user/minus-millions/media/Truck001_zpsa018694d.jpg.html?sort=3&o=6

I just put them on zero offset 16 x 9 inch steel wheels and bolted them on the truck . Removed the mudflap and turned the steering wheel until the tyres hit the bodywork , marked it with a permanent marker pen , took the wheel off and used a grinder to remove the obstruction which happens to be a seam which is only there because robots build cars instead of people .

A few more pics of my truck .

http://s999.beta.photobucket.com/user/minus-millions/media/Truck002_zpsa7a59772.jpg.html?sort=3&o=5
http://s999.beta.photobucket.com/user/minus-millions/media/Truck003_zps2e50798a.jpg.html?sort=3&o=4
http://s999.beta.photobucket.com/user/minus-millions/media/Truck004_zpsf5093b9a.jpg.html?sort=3&o=3
http://s999.beta.photobucket.com/user/minus-millions/media/Truck005_zps6ba73cc9.jpg.html?sort=3&o=2

I'm pretty sure this is as big as you can go without any sort of lift , but i can't help wondering if 16x9 wheels might be possible ?

DOH! just read my own thread and realized my mistake now the edit button is gone , the pics are of 16x8 steel wheels with 285/75 R16 Cooper STT .

Very nice, very nice indeed! :icon-cool:

I always look at 90/95s riding on 285s and drool - they really do look the dog's.

P.S. Do you have any rubbing on full lock or under compression?

Last edited:
Full lock gets rubbing against the chassis but the only test i've been able to do under compression is drive each wheel up onto a ramp of bricks . As i see it rubbing is not an issue if it's only going to happen in extreme circumstances at crawling pace . Rubber is an amazing thing - it bends and bounces back to shape lol .

Truck001_zpsa018694d.jpg

Truck002_zpsa7a59772.jpg

Truck003_zps2e50798a.jpg

Truck004_zpsf5093b9a.jpg

Truck005_zps6ba73cc9.jpg

:icon-cool:

Your spare looks OEM size?

If you do/have upgraded it to 285, then you might want to check whether the tyre fouls the body mounted tail lamps when the door is fully opened.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Your spare looks OEM size?

If you do/have upgraded it to 285, then you might want to check whether the tyre fouls the body mounted tail lamps when the door is fully opened.

Spare is 265 i think , still on oem alloy . Got the 285 as a set of 4 on landrover wheels at an absolute bargain . Can't find a cheap 285 to go on my spare steel wheel though so i've resigned myself to the fact i will have to buy new . Not so bad though as the landrover wheels should pay for most of it when get around to sellin them on ebay .

Having spent a million hours today changing the tail light bulb (in the bumper) , it was rusted solid . I'm a bit confused by your question about fouling tail lamps , especially as i can't for the life of me see how the door comes into it ?

Possibly you refer to the bumper plastic that finishes a few inches inside the arch above the mudflap . I took a long look at this today and decided - assuming the rear wheels go up , rather than backwards , when suspension is at extreme articulation , then the tyre should clear the plastic by a half inch or so ,,,, I hope !

I would very much like to try wheel spacers as it would obviously cure the rubbing on chassis problem , but i don't want to spend the money only to find a spacer causes the tyre to catch the outside plastics . Again i've resigned myself to wait until i come across a set of spacers i can try for free . I'm think a -20 wheel might be perfect .

Please note although bought used the tyres have full tread and little or no wear .

I'm a bit confused by your question about fouling tail lamps , especially as i can't for the life of me see how the door comes into it ?
I think Chad may be refering to the extra diameter of the 285 tyre on the rear door possibly hitting your tail lights when the door is opened.

Last edited:
Oh i see we are talking about the spare ,,,, YIKES better go and check .

Ya bugger you just made me walk 40ft barefoot in the snow to find out theres about 4 inches between the spare 265 tyre and the edge of the door so should be plenty of room

Ya bugger you just made me walk 40ft barefoot in the snow to find out theres about 4 inches between the spare 265 tyre and the edge of the door so should be plenty of room
Well I always thought there would be plenty of room :eusa-whistle:, I was just sayin what chad might have been thinking of.

I would check again, when you open the rear door fully the spare wheel comes very close to the drivers side rear light, if you do get a 285 tyre for the spare i would put money on it cracking the lens.

Joe

Has anyone found a solution for having a 285 spare ?

It's a longshot but i can't help wondering if i could remove all but 2 studs from the carrier so the wheel can be fitted off centre . It wouldn't add much space but maybe just enough ?

I really need to be looking at it to get my mind in gear but i don't have a garage so that will have to wait . Besides i need to get my seats sorted before i start messing with anything else .

With my 255/85/16 tyre (slightly greater in diameter to your 285) I found that it was still possible to open the rear door and lock it out without smashing the rear light cluster although the tyre would gently push up against the rear light cluster, it also slightly dragged on the top of the rear bumper. I lived with this for some time before removing the spare wheel carrier and welding two lengths of 30X10mm flat bar centered directly across the top mounting holes and the lower mounting holes. I then re-drilled the holes in the very lower left hand corner (if such a thing exists in a circle) of the original holes through the flat bar, moving the carrier up and over to the left ever so slightly :icon-biggrin:

EDIT - Here's some photos

DOUBLE EDIT - From what I can remember this is as far up and over to the left that you can move the carrier in this way as there is very little flat area to accommodate the bolt heads. You also need the 10mm bar spacing the carrier from off of the vehicle else the tyre tread fouls the rear window wiper. I also had the spare tyre mounted on the wheel to allow the wiper to sit in between two tread blocks when at rest. You may need a thicker spacer due to your wider tyres.

P3160258.jpg

P3160259.jpg

P3160261.jpg

P3160262.jpg

P3160263.jpg

P3160264.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Steve .

I could be wrong but i had hoped i would clear the rear wiper because the wheel is zero offset as opposed to the oem alloy which is (i think from memory) +15 offset . Regardless of this i'm now wondering if putting a wheel spacer on the carrier might push the wheel out far enough to clear the light . I'm not sure about clearing the bumper but a with big enough spacer i imagine you could see both sides of the wheel in your wing mirror if you sat in the drivers seat and the rear door was locked open .

It's not the gap between the tail light.

Go back out in the snow, barefoot, and measure the distance between the bottom of the tyre on the back door, to the bumper.
I think with a standard tyre, it's about 2 inches.
With an oversize tyre, it is clearly less.

If the spare on the back door is too much oversize, then you cant close the back door, as it will foul on the rear bumper.

Gra.

Yeah it seems obvious i will have to remove the carrier , bolt a steel plate in it's place then weld the carrier to the plate , that way i can move the wheel up and over wherever i want . Apart from the extra weight on the hinges which seem to be good and tight it shouldn't cause any problems .

Are those oem alloys sae70 , they look the same as the ones i took off my truck and for some reason i can't help thinking mine were 17x7 ?

The reason i ask is i used a tyre calculator (yes i know the tread pattern makes them inaccurate) and 255/85/16 would make your total diameter only a few mil bigger than my 285/75/16 . But somehow the calculator works out your diameter is almost an inch bigger than mine if its on a 17 inch wheel .

As you could still shut the door and didn't bust the tail light before you altered the carrier an inch might make all the difference .

Last edited:
Are those oem alloys sae70 , they look the same as the ones i took off my truck and for some reason i can't help thinking mine were 17x7 ?

The reason i ask is i used a tyre calculator (yes i know the tread pattern makes them inaccurate) and 255/85/16 would make your total diameter only a few mil bigger than my 285/75/16 . But somehow the calculator works out your diameter is almost an inch bigger than mine if its on a 17 inch (typo ??) wheel .

As you could still shut the door and didn't bust the tail light before you altered the carrier an inch might make all the difference .
The height of a tyre is very much effected by the width of a rim. On my Vitara's I ran with 31" Cooper STT's but because I'd stretched them onto a 10" wide rim they stood only 29.5" tall. There's an optimum width rim for each tyre manufactured and I guess 7" is the one for my 255/85/16 tyres.

When I fully opened my rear door with the 255/85/16 tyre on the tyre touched the rear light cluster before it had opened enough to lock the door in its open position. Due to how the tyre was on the rim (pure fluke, as I had the tyre fitted to accommodate the rear wiper) it was just the corner of one tread block that hit the light and there was enough give in the tyre and the light cluster to allow the door to be locked out without breaking the cluster. I do remember commenting that it would probably crack the lens in colder weather due to there being less flex in the tyre tread.

Helen07, you mention about fitting a wheel spacer to solve these issues, but that will only cure the problem of the tyre fouling the rear wiper (if you have this issue with your different offset wheels) and not the issue of it rubbing the bumper or touching the light cluster as the carrier needs to be moved up and over to the left to cure these issues :icon-biggrin:

Here's a table of the common tyre sizes fitted the a Collie/Prado

265/70/16 30.61/10.43/16 standard fitment

265/75/16 31.65/10.43/16 increase in diameter over std fitment 26.42mm extra ground clearence over std fitment +13.21mm (calculated height gain over previous tyre +13.21mm)

305/70/16 32.81/12.00/16 increase in diameter over std fitment 55.88mm extra ground clearence over std fitment +27.94mm (calculated height gain over previous tyre +14.73mm)

285/75/16 32.83/11.22/16 increase in diameter over std fitment 56.39mm extra ground clearence over std fitment +28.19mm (calculated height gain over previous tyre +00.25mm)

255/85/16 33.07/10.04/16 increase in diameter over std fitment 62.48mm extra ground clearence over std fitment +31.24mm (calculated height gain over previous tyre +03.05mm)

This of course make no allowance for how these tyre sizes are effected by rim width & inflation pressure
icon_e_biggrin.gif

Last edited:
Back