Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

BJ40 modifications

PuraVida77

Country Flag
costa_rica
Wasn’t sure if posting here or Series 40 is best, so here goes. I have a ‘77 BJ40 and wanting to replace/upgrade all the wiring and in the process add some extra things that would make it more fun for days at the beach (thinking extra power for a fridge, more interior lighting, exterior light of some sort for tasks at night) and occasional overnight camping and easier for roadside breakdowns (engine compartment light). Not needing a full overland mod.

Any suggestions on new wiring? Extra battery? Cool accessories?

Hello and welcome...
Your BJ40 should be 24v and some years ago I thought that I would need to get a new loom but a good friend who knows a lot about wiring did some tiding up and I didn't have to replace it but for accessories, although I don't have many, we fitted a 24v-12v dropper so I can charge my phone, run a CB and have some auxiliary lights when camping and a tyre pump for re-inflation after off roading. The pull on the 24v system is so low that we found it unnecessary to fit another battery. Twelve volt accessories are much cheaper and more readily available.

Regards,

Rodger

Surely for camping you want a solar set up so nightlights etc don't effect your starter battery ?

Mind you for weekenders a power pack is probably easier and cheaper ?

Thanks guys. Oddly enough my BJ40 is 12v not 24v. I just replaced the battery last week and it is wider than a typical 12v battery which I don’t understand.

As a 12v Bj40 that means that originally it was destined forte Australian market.

Although there is little 'pull' on the battery, other than starting, I would think a second battery is a necessity for fridge, etc.. A decent split charging system should be your starting point and there have been numerous articles/recommendations on here, a search will reveal them to you.

Regards,

Rodger

If you have room in the cabin behind the seats you could mount a battery box which has all the outlets you need for running a fridge, extra led lights for camping and charging a phone etc. You just have to figure out what size agm battery you need and you only need and run power to it off your starter battery so it charges when driving, fit a basic isolator to separate it from the starter when the engine is off unless you get one with a built in isolator.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back