Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

BJ45LV Troopie LHD from the Congo

Marc Bragge

Country Flag
zambia
Hi, I am a new user so excuse the ignorance re forum policies. Hopefully I will learn as we go along. I have recently acquired a BJ45LV and I am struggling to find any info on this particular model. It is a 2 door with ambulance doors in the rear and has a 3B motor. It is left hand drive and according to the seatbelt tag it is a 1977 model? Imported into Zambia from the Democratic Republic of the Congo in 1983. Can anyone help me with some details regarding this particular model?

20191007_133529.jpg
IMG-20191007-WA0007.jpg
IMG-20191007-WA0011.jpg

Hi Marc,:text-welcomewave::text-merryxmas:

Most of the members of LCC are very welcoming and friendly, so your in for a good time.

I like the 40 series very much, but never got around to getting one, looks like you've got a nice job on your hand there, I am presuming it has been dry for most of it's life as the rust I can see seems surface only.

I don't know a great deal about the 40's, but now that you've introduced yourself go over to the 40 fourm and ask the same question, I'm sure they will help you a great deal, oh, also they like loads and loads of pictures (as most of them can't read)(joke) of every nook and cranny, have you got a Borescope you can shove up the exhaust, cos they'll wana see up there too, only joking :laughing-rolling:

Good Luck

Hi, I am a new user so excuse the ignorance re forum policies. Hopefully I will learn as we go along. I have recently acquired a BJ45LV and I am struggling to find any info on this particular model. It is a 2 door with ambulance doors in the rear and has a 3B motor. It is left hand drive and according to the seatbelt tag it is a 1977 model? Imported into Zambia from the Democratic Republic of the Congo in 1983. Can anyone help me with some details regarding this particular model?
BTW, ignorance is bliss, also it might be worth giving the VIN plate a good clean, then go over it with something that will make the letters and numbers stand out, as it's a little hard to read in the picture at the moment, then hopefully all the info you need will come flooding in from the 40 Boys & Gals:)

Hi Marc and welcome.

I think I have been able to see most of the VIN number so will start tracking it tomorrow however it would be good if you could clarify the 6th digit (Just before the small "9"). Or if it is easier, just give the full Vin number including the model number near the bottom = J45 LV- K??

More anon....

Regards,

Rodger

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi Marc,

As Firewout has stated you have a September 1982, European spec, LHD, 3B and 4 speed.
But the bit that intrigues me is the little "9" that I think I see (the eyes are getting old) in the Vin plate...

There were three years where the 40 series was modified for Europe - 1980, 1 & 2 - and these trucks, probably shipped as 'glider' kits and built in Portugal, had 3B engines and disc brakes on the front. Only 4559 of these trucks were built and the designations, incorporated into the Vin, were 8 for 1980, 8.5 for 81 and 9 for 1982.

You can verify this by checking if your Troopy has discs on the front. There were some other minor modifications so you may find that some minor parts are from post '83 but you should be able to sort this with online parts diagrams. Apparently, according to the info I found so far, was that the suspension was slightly softer to give better road manners.

Whether this Euro' spec trucks are included in the BJ4* production figures is difficult to establish and how many of the 4559 were produced during each year.

Of course if the "9" is not actually there and it's just my old eyes deceiving me then this info is irrelevant.

Regards,

Rodger

Hi Marc,

As Firewout has stated you have a September 1982, European spec, LHD, 3B and 4 speed.
But the bit that intrigues me is the little "9" that I think I see (the eyes are getting old) in the Vin plate...

There were three years where the 40 series was modified for Europe - 1980, 1 & 2 - and these trucks, probably shipped as 'glider' kits and built in Portugal, had 3B engines and disc brakes on the front. Only 4559 of these trucks were built and the designations, incorporated into the Vin, were 8 for 1980, 8.5 for 81 and 9 for 1982.

You can verify this by checking if your Troopy has discs on the front. There were some other minor modifications so you may find that some minor parts are from post '83 but you should be able to sort this with online parts diagrams. Apparently, according to the info I found so far, was that the suspension was slightly softer to give better road manners.

Whether this Euro' spec trucks are included in the BJ4* production figures is difficult to establish and how many of the 4559 were produced during each year.

Of course if the "9" is not actually there and it's just my old eyes deceiving me then this info is irrelevant.

Regards,

Rodger
Hi Rodger,

Although it's nothing to do with me, I am intrigued, and your old eyes are not deceiving you, I have blown the picture up and there is 0890 at the end of the VIN, I hope this is what you were talking about, and sorry to poke my nose into a fourm thats not the one I'm in, I'm a 100 man at the mo.

Good Luck.

Hi and welcome that's a good looking troope you have lot'S have lot of pics good look with it and have fun it's a big:thumbup:

Back