Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Blown 100A Alternator Fuse

majic79

Help!

tldr: Alternator kaput, 100A Alt Fuse gone pop, how do you remove the alt fuse?

So my KZJ95 has been uber reliable until today - came to the truck after work and inserted key to be met with a groaning, slowly rotating and then nothing attempt at starting the engine. Lights dimming and all the symptoms of a flat battery. Slightly annoying, even more annoying as I'd not left lights on and no idiot lights telling me that there's been any charging issues - both batteries replaced about 2 years ago. I get some help to get it jump started and it's all looking good. As I set off home (not too far, 20 mile journey) I'm happy that everything looks rosey... but the lights aren't looking as bright as they did yesterday. Still, no idiot light, so I hope it's just a consequence of the batteries needing more juice than normal and hopefully it'll be enough to get me home so I can look a bit closer. Nope. Halfway home, the lights are very dim and the idiot charge light's come on. As well as a few others. Not far to the nearest place I can park up and call for recovery (Adult store car park!) so I pull in there and the dashboard is nearly invisible, ABS light's flashing as well as another minor disco going on with the lights. I turn off the engine and call out RAC. Nice chap turns up 20 minutes later and has a look, tries tightening the alternator belt a little (again, new belts 2 years ago and they look in good nick - possibly they've worn a bit and are slightly slack, so worth a go - I'd have done the same myself when I got home) and we jump it off his battery pack. Little voltage (12.4V) over the battery suggesting it's still not charging (should be seeing 14+ iirc) then we get a nice lights display from the alternator and all the lights go off on the dash (as in, nil voltage guvna). Looks in the fuse box and the 100A fuse has gone. As he's looking at how to remove it, I ask him "If the alternators just gone up like that, is it going to do the same of worse if you replace or link it out?" - ah, yes, ok let's recover it on a flatbed and get it sorted properly, it's a bit beyond a roadside repair now. I don't blame him at all for the alternator giving up the ghost, it's better it happens now than when I'm 100's of miles from home, and it's done 180K miles already (looks like the original) and I'm likely to have ended up with the same result if I'd continued on and tried to fix it at home!

Alternator's not a big deal - nuts, bolts, swap, job done. The 100A Fuse is a big deal though as I can't see how to get to the bolts that are holding it in! Anyone got any tips for splitting the fusebox and getting at it? Also, where can I order one? Milners and Roughtrax only list the 80 and 60 amp fuses

Thanks in advance

Pop up some photos of the fuse Majic, I'll have a look.

Help!

Not far to the nearest place I can park up and call for recovery (Adult store car park!)

Pull the other one :)

The fuse it a bitch, the only way I could get it out was taking the fuse box out. Replaced it with an 80 amp as there aren't many Halfords in the Western Sahara. The 80amp as been in for two years without issue and I've got replacement 100's from ebay in reserve

Did a search on Milners for "100AMP Fuse" and found them there for £2.30 - as I'm ordering an alternator from them at the same time, I figured I'll add it to the order - so good news is that they do stock it, but they don't list it on the KZJ95 page.

I'll get photos tomorrow, I've been incessantly googling and somewhere I saw a nice idea - cocktail sticks/small screwdrivers to wedge in the clips to prise apart the fuse box - got to be worth a try. When I have some light, I'll get photos and try to further dismantle it (alternator needs to come out as well, too late tonight and it's a driveway job as the garage has no space)

As for the Adult store... well honest guv, I had the wife in the car with me, I wasn't trying to inject some spice into the relationship! :D

Last edited:
Surely those fuses are designed to be pulled out or are you saying they are bolted in somehow?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
There's three that are bolted in - 100A Alt Charge fuse (main Fusible link) as well as an 80A and another (can't recall size) that are all bolted through "Male" fuses, the other large fuses are Female push fit jobs then it's all micro-blade fuses for the rest

bolter in SC, well the cable is bolted to the fuse iirc and the only way to get it out was to partially remove the fusebox,

Got ya! Not something I've had to remove but I've a sneaking suspicion I've tried pulling them out of idle curiosity (it's a sparkie thing, just humour me) and not actually been able to remove them.

That'll be why then. [emoji4]

well, lots of success today - fusebox successfully split and the 100A fuse removed. Pics for reference:

20160127_112113_zps7u0xlvrf.jpg

Inserted some bamboo skewers into the clips holding the fusebox together (six in total)

20160127_112349_zpsbtdp1kuc.jpg

Using a screwdriver, gently prise apart the box (very easy with all the skewers holding them catches back!)

And pop out another fuse holder (Glow plugs?) with a 60A fuse in it (two clips - simple flat bladed screwdriver job)

20160127_112831_zpsymcqgw38.jpg

Then you can access the bolts, 10mm ...

20160127_113044_zpszlb2zmm6.jpg

and 8mm on the other side

20160127_113055_zpsquqzo9ug.jpg

and voila, the fuse can be removed

They even provide a cutout for you to get to the bolts (and rightly so). I've got to say this is such good workmanship. There's no way as long as that were done up correctly that a meltdown could occur.

More nice work Mr T. [emoji4]

where would i find the 100amp fues on my 1995 80 series petrol landcruiser

Back