Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

BMW X3 - Anyone got one (or an opinion) ?

BobMurphy

Country Flag
scotland
Folks, No.1 daughter's RAV4 is suffering terminal rust, its also got 220,000 miles on it and things are starting to go wrong.

She quite fancies a BMW X3 (but can't afford much) so we're looking at examples up to around 2014.

What's the collective view on these, are they worth having or just a load of potential trouble ?

I'll be interested in peoples' experiences.

Bob.

If Diesel and mileage depending timing chains can fail, often without warning.
Suspension coil springs, starting to see more break. EGR gives problems. Poorly maintained examples have turbo's fail.

They like decent and matching tyres (BMW recommend star rated) poor/mismatched tyres damage the transfer box, causes juddering, banging, skipping which is more prominent at low speeds and when turning.

Glow plugs on higher milers, in turn stops the DPF regeneration. Intake ports coke up on cars that are pottered about.

Electrically not too bad, early ones of that era (F25 model) can suffer with a swollen wiring harness on the driver side, certain types of screen wash eat into the loom tape then the wiring!!

Sometimes get a bit noisy but surprisingly many don't. Thin Simplex chains on the upper chain, oddly the main culprit!
Cam shafts are hollow and valve train components not big and heavy but even full history cars can suffer

Sorry for promoting Lexus here. An alternative would be a lexus NX premium or RX premium. The reason I am saying this is I have a friend who only buys BMW but was impressed with Lexus after seeing mine. I drove his BMW X2 diesel and petrol. Diesel 2.0 had issues of stalling and acting crazy at cold starts and it used to do that for 15-20 mins in the morning. He was fed up and finally got rid of it at good price. Then he changed to petrol X2. Petrol was very good and quiet.
Before changing his diesel and buying petrol X2 he looked at NX he was very impressed but its expensive than BMW so went for BMW. NX was petrol hybrid but BMW was petrol only and post 2018 NX were expensive than same year BMW X2 petrols.

X3 is slightly bigger than NX and X2 so if size matters RX is the alternate choice. if ok with smaller one NX is good alternative. Both NX and RX are hybrid, has same controls and buttons as RAV4 yet lot more refined than RAV4. NX might be expensive but RX450H 2014 models with less than 50K miles should be same price as X3 when you compare a X3 that has same kit as that of RX. However, if in love with X3, nothing is best than X3 no matter what.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Aren't the likeliest ones, always furthest from home,- by a country mile or two !
Good luck Bob.

Mate of mine had one - nice enough car but he had some problems with the electrics that were a PITA to track down (I think it was one of the earlier ones, though).

Yep check the history, any rhythmic rubbing noise from the back of the engine, walk away (chain at the back), chattering noises too. More when warmed up.

It won't smoke, tailpipe should be clean.

Try get it in a car park and drive at walking speed while steering to almost full lock then light throttle, change direction too, any tightness felt or skipping/noises walk away. Check for decent matching tyres.

cold start should be smooth and fire up quickly, any misfire or rough running either glow plugs or intake ports/swirl flaps coked up. Should pull smoothly too.

Sometimes get a knock on the steering from right side with a bit of play in the inner joint. This is fairly normal and acceptable, can get a repair kit but hit and miss.

If you can get the vin number send me it in a PM, I'll have a look if can see any history of dealer visits.

Thanks Gary.

I've been reading up about cam chain renewal. I think 2008 onwards had the N47 motor with the cam chain at the back (£1,000 chain swap !).

I've seen videos of motors running Before & After a cam chain job, a rhythmic rattle before (not as one contributor said - "Like a cement mixer full of spanners" !).

Some say "change the cam chain at 100,000 miles", others say "change the oil every 5,000 miles and leave it alone", what is your experience and recommendation ??

Of course, web sites are full of moans from people who have had problems; you don't hear from the majority who happily drive around without problems.

Thanks again for the advice. At the end of the day its a lottery and I suspect she'll be choosing a car with her heart, not my head !

Bob.

I'd go for 10k oil change, I have a B47 and do a yearly oil change (8kish) I've had a N47 too and apart from the missus killing the clutch had no issues, had 90k on it and was sweet, did the check for chain stretch at 80k which was fine. N47 first appeared in 2007 and gave grief from that point.
Early ones needed crankshafts as machining tolerance was wrong on the crankshaft sprocket. I had 1 of 2 in the uk with a rubbing noise in a 1 series! Had that engine apart lots of times.

There's been modified chain guides, tensioner, injection pump timing changes, software etc etc!! Now use a chain we join in situ rather then a full engine strip.

N57's were similar too, pretty much same set up but 6 cylinder.

Manuals seem to suffer more and driver style. Auto's are a little kinder to the drivetrain.

I've known chains snap with no noise, with rattles and some literally clattering against the timing case but still running!! They've stretched and are ready to go.
Seen lower chains or guides go and the top in 1 piece.

Lowest mileage was about 40kmiles and seen cars with 200k never been touched and as quiet as the day it left the factory.
Maintenance is the key thing.

I obviously see the bad side and have seen most faults, if I haven't seen it yet I will at some point lol.

Back