Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Boab Braai BBQ

Yes you can pack it away with the ash inside but I don't think it's "ash tight"
I love mine.

This is what mine does ever time I use it

IMG_2325.JPG
IMG_2326.JPG
IMG_2329.JPG

I'm curious Nick, does yours warp at all? Mine returns to normal once it cools down but it makes it a pain to use. I don't think for the price paid that it should have this issue. I agree that they are not 'ash tight'. My catch that keeps the braai closed also no longer locks. I'm just a bit disappointed to be honest. There must be other similar products out there.

Mines never done that, I see why you're miffed!

Thanks Nick :thumbup:

I will quote your previous post here if you don't mind Lorin as this is a more relevant thread

Shane, I bought a Boab Braai and am really disappointed with it. Every time I use it the heat causes it to twist meaning the grill either jams on or can't be put on and the whole thing rocks as if on three legs. You also cannot use the lid as a windshield with the grill in the high position. Overall it is a poor design. Any attempt to discuss its shortcomings is met only with condescension whereby you'll be told you don't know how much charcole to use and that it is clearly user error. I can however confirm that any amount of charcole sufficient to cook causes the warping. Great idea poorly executed.

I can see what you mean about warping :shock: I have to guess that's just an unfortunate fluke of the metal properties used to make your particular unit , a weld 4 brackets and only one twists with heat sort of thing , luck in a word .

Damn poor customer service though if they blame you for it :angry-nono:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
IMG_5938.JPG
I've not noticed any twisting anyway. I've only ever used the lid as a table so can't comment on any of its other uses.

I really like my Bushpig braai, it has never leaked any ash, can be packed away without emptying, has never warped, is made from stainless steel, has a lid that dampens the fire, can be used as a heat source in a ground tent after using it to cook, with the lid on it can be used to level the car, I would suggest not lighting a fire in it before hand, however you wont be able to use it as a braai if you do that.

I bought one of the original examples from the creator just before he sold the rights to it, at least thats what he told me, it only cost me £50.00.

can be used as a heat source in a ground tent after using it to cook

Julian, I suggest you read up on carbonmonoxide poisoning before you try that, i did it once (-3c at last years overland show) with my Son of a Hibatchi, will never do that again. Smoldering charcoal is the worst, very popular way to perform a pain free departure from this world and you wont even know it.. unless you got a CM alarm...

I bought the Boab and after using it for Lincomb weekend i'm almost sorry to report due to Lorin's misfortune that i am very happy with it .

I forgot to take pics but the charcoal we got looked very like anthracite in uniform sized pebbles which proved unwilling to burn so a bunch of sticks got mixed in and a splash of petrol to produce some heat , then Nick decided this presented an ideal opportunity to off load a whole bag of charcoal he had decided was rubbish on his last trip .
It took a while but eventually it was all glowing red and nothing warped even with the tub filled .

Sorry Lorin .

I'll take that as a thankyou! Did you ever find the handle thing?

:lol: thanks Nick ...... i thought the wholething might melt :lol:

No i lost the grill handle without ever using it , i reckon it fell out of the back of the truck when i opened the door to grab a shackle up where i got stuck :icon-rolleyes:

I bought the Boab and after using it for Lincomb weekend i'm almost sorry to report due to Lorin's misfortune that i am very happy with it .

I forgot to take pics but the charcoal we got looked very like anthracite in uniform sized pebbles which proved unwilling to burn so a bunch of sticks got mixed in and a splash of petrol to produce some heat , then Nick decided this presented an ideal opportunity to off load a whole bag of charcoal he had decided was rubbish on his last trip .
It took a while but eventually it was all glowing red and nothing warped even with the tub filled .

Sorry Lorin .

Nothing to be sorry about, I'm glad yours is a good one. They really are a great idea. I must have just lucked out with mine. The biggest shame for me is that the customer service isn't there to sort it.

I was thinking what i would do with yours Lorin and maybe if you clamp it down so it can't warp and burn some proper coal in there (which i would guess gets hotter than charcoal?) it might settle into shape as it cools ?

Back