Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

bodge of the day

goodoldboy

i thought id lower the tone a little - we are just too good - so to start my bodge of the day.
I started out yesterday with the intention of removing the rear wheelarch moldings on my 95 as both were in danger of coming off completely , having been damaged through the usual off road scrapes.As we all know the clips/fixing go brittle with age so i had intended to order new ones & repair the broken mounting points on the inside of the arches.but hang on whats this in the tool box ? ah superglue, so a quick scrape with a penknife on the inside top of the molding , dab of glue & job done!:eusa-naughty:
so come on everyone `fess up

Toyota has loads of part numbers for these but on my 90 all the clips are the same so this might save someone some grief

clips%20001_zpsidhw9kv8.jpg

did mine recently. but what do you do when the arches have been ripped off, and the mounts which belong to the arches which clip on Shaynes clips(are you following?) snap off? some ended up in the hedge and others are just travelling aimlessly in the realms of time....

er..yep. hang on back to the bodge. so as these mounts were broken of i used metal strapping from kitchen carcases bent over into a U shape and Tiger seal both ends.

arches are solid but i dont want to have to take them off again.

tried to get some from breakers but most were in a worse state than mine.

cheers.

These you mean Mall wheelarch002_zps24dd7e0b.jpg

I managed to repair a broken one but it doesn't sound like you had that option .

Haha! learn something new every day... had to Google "what is bodge!"
Shayne has the best bodge !

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
yes shayne i do mean those!

at least you found yours, i had to rip the wifes kitchen apart to find those bloody straps to bend!

they say farmers have to use their initiative, here we do full engine rebuilds with 12" stillsons and a lump hammer!:icon-biggrin:

oh and shayne, where did you get that glue stuff from?

just read the packet on the photo.

it says easily drilled and then hard and fast.....

not suitable on this kind of forum mate.:lol:

When i first got bigger wheels and tyres i had trouble fitting the spare on the wheel carrier , so i called NASA together we came up with this :icon-wink:

Sparetyre001_zps4da3be82.jpg

Hey that's plywood of the finest quality selected and cut from the only remaining plywood tree on the planet at vast expense :lol:

kept me driving about legally with a matching spare for 6 months though so can't complain .

Replacing the strap on an oil filter removal tool

As I was away from home for most of 2014 my cruiser projects were put on hold. I got home earlier this year to a garden that was overgrown in the extreme. However the first job was to get an MOT for my ‘overland’ 80 else I would have no transport. The only issue I could find was the rear brakes not functioning properly. A morning spent servicing the rear brakes got them sorted. The callipers were seized up - probably from being idle for so long I guess. Then onto the ‘Garden’, it was wild - had to use a chainsaw to cut the privet hedge!

Eventually I was able to turn my attention to more pleasant tasks and so yesterday I carried out a service on my 80, which brings me to my bodge. Engine oil and front diff were draining happily so I set about removing the oil filter with my strap wrench removal tool. The filter was reluctant to move so I cranked up the force and then SNAP. The strap broke :icon-eek: and I was left with this:

BrokenStrapOilFilterWrench.jpg

I was not a happy bunny. A simple task was now turning into right epic with thoughts of screwdriver and hammer being brought to bear. After a little rant I calmed down and had a simple idea. I grabbed some climbing tape and ended up with this:

NewStrapOilFilterWrench.jpg

A few minutes later the filter was off and I was able to get on with the rest of my jobs, checking air filter, greasing props etc. On reflection, I am not sure this repair counts as a proper bodge as the new strap is much stronger than the old. So I will tidy up the loose ends of tape and consider it a permanent solution.

The approach of replacing the tape is an obvious one but I posted it here as the knot to join the tape is important because it will not slip or come undone. It is very simple to tie though and most people simply call it the ‘tape knot’. There are lots of links on the net showing how to tie one. E.g.

http://ozultimate.com/canyoning/knots/tape_knot/

Byron

"Toyota has loads of part numbers for these but on my 90 all the clips are the same so this might save someone some grief" mine are all color coded so makes it a bit more interesting.
My other recent bodge was when the drivers door check strap started catching on something, giving that distinctive noise as it freed itself .so off with the door card & i found that the rubber grommet at the end of the strap had gone & the rivet at the end of the strap was catching on the window channel/runner thingy.impossible to straighten so i just cut out the damaged section & wired some rubber onto the check strap & job done!:oops:

Here's mine from today to stop the fuse box lid dropping off, courtesy of an old toyota interior light ...

6BEC36EB-0078-4956-95D5-CCF641B27EA4_zpsv6l80ikk.jpg

Here's one i'd forgot about
gator001_zps76345fb3.jpg

gator002_zpsa661018b.jpg

I'm yet to see an improved bodge for keeping the gator secure though :icon-wink:

Back