Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Body Lift

Gav Peter

Country Flag
england
Has anyone on here undertaken a body lift on an 80?

I recall this being discussed/dismissed for the 80 on TLOC but thought I'd reopen the debate having seen Jon's 40mm body lift on his 100 & Gary's 2" lift on his 120...

Cheers

Hey Matey

Just how HIGH do you want that monster of yours?

Your gonna have to teach your little ones to absail down. :shock:

Hi Gav
i think last time we spoke i put you off a little bit of doing a body lift
but now you are in the process of making your homegrown bumpers,
i would do it now
i went for the 1.5" milners lift
all the pipes,cables are long enough
there are some different ways of dropping the rad
i made some new side L brackets up and the top mountings i used a lowering plate
using all the original holes and i allso cut away the lower part of the cowling just in case
you need to adjust the gear and transfer levers
the steering colmun needs to be spaced out and the bulk head plate needs to be adapted
apart from that nothing else i can remember
not a long job,i would say about 5 hours ish

adrianr said:
Paragliding is the future for the kids Ade ;-)

It was just one of those thoughts that popped into my little mind over a cup of morning coffee...

Thanks for your thoughts too Mark - glad I invited you over here ;-)

Were there any fitting instructions with the Milners kit?

Gavlad said:
adrianr said:
Paragliding is the future for the kids Ade ;-)

It was just one of those thoughts that popped into my little mind over a cup of morning coffee...

Thanks for your thoughts too Mark - glad I invited you over here ;-)

Were there any fitting instructions with the Milners kit?

no fitting instructions just a bit of common sense needed
you do have to remove the battery's and trays for access to the front bolts
and carpets have to be lifted

..so is there enough movement on the various steering splines to allow for a normal lift or so you need a spacer in there somewhere. The 90 series needs a spacer in the rag joint. Just asking for when I come to do an 80.

Chris

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Battered and Blue said:
..so is there enough movement on the various steering splines to allow for a normal lift or so you need a spacer in there somewhere. The 90 series needs a spacer in the rag joint. Just asking for when I come to do an 80.

Chris
to be honest i moved mine on the splines
but it is very close to the limit
i would advise to fit a spacer
which i will do some day

Hi guys

I may have impulse purchased a Milners body kit :? a few weeks ago and am now starting to put together a plan of how to do it. I've searched the forum for "body lift" and this looked like the only post with a method.. Also trying not to badger certain members too much so asking publicly :)

I won't be able to do it for a couple months as the truck only fits in the garage by about 2cm as it is, but I do want to be prepared for when I get to it.

I read Mark's comments and that helped a lot.. Wondering if anyone hasa "10 steps plan" as to what to do first?

Prep:
Remove all non essentials from truck to make it lighter, easier ot lift
Lift carpets
Remove batteries and trays
Start unbolting?
What essential and nice to have mods are there eg adjusting anything or adding in steering spacers etc?
Apologies for the simple questions, I haven't split the body from the chassis before. Only attempted to split a sump pan in 2! :doh:

Thanks!

Step 1: Scrub all the crud off the body-mount bolts until clean.
Step 2: Spray liberally with penetrating oil
Step 3: Repeat step 2 for a good week before attempting step 4. :lol:
Step 4: (as you outlined)

My guess is the biggest challenge will be loosening 16+ year old bolts. It sounds like the steering joint might be a potentail issue too.

Can I ask why you want to do a body lift, Matt? :shifty:

Cheers,

Andrew Prince said:
Can I ask why you want to do a body lift, Matt? :shifty:
Cheers,

And cause I can (well, potentially)
-> It's to provide additional hight to give a better vantage point when viewing wild animals in safari parks ;) for our trip to Namibia and Botswana :whistle: That's the best I can come up with
And it looks cool.. I think..

Why does everyone else do it? (Apart from more clearance for 37" tires?)

Matt Wright said:
Why does everyone else do it? (Apart from more clearance for 37" tires?)
That's the only reason to do it really, to get clearance for bigger tyres without an even bigger suspension lift.

And so you can get around the chassis rails to bolt on after-market Wildsmith, et al, sliders :lol:

Matt Wright said:
It's to provide additional hight to give a better vantage point when viewing wild animals in safari parks ;) for our trip to Namibia and Botswana :whistle:
You could also sit on some cushions for an extra 25mm of viewing height.... :lol:

Gary Stockton said:
And so you can get around the chassis rails to bolt on after-market Wildsmith, et al, sliders :lol:
Not needed for that on 80's :)

Andrew Prince said:
[quote="Matt Wright":1gn4o9e9]It's to provide additional hight to give a better vantage point when viewing wild animals in safari parks ;) for our trip to Namibia and Botswana :whistle:
You could also sit on some cushions for an extra 25mm of viewing height.... :lol:[/quote:1gn4o9e9]
You know Lorien is only 5"2 ;) That means a lot of cusions! :roll:

Back